Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Working a Deskjob page

deskjockey86 is offline Junior Member

Working a Deskjob

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hello all!

I have been following PB for the last half a year. I've had lots of success! Let me first mention I don't strictly adhere, as I do occasionally have a treat and I frequently eat cheese/drink milk and coffee.

Anyway, to my question. I just started a desk job and I'm afraid my progress might be reversed. I'll tell you my daily food regiment and perhaps I could get some feedback from others doing deskjobs as well. I start my morning with eggs and/or some sort of meat (leftover chicken, beef, bacon, sausage). I drink water throughout the day besides my morning coffee and sometimes my afternoon coffee. I snack on trailmix I made myself (consisting of mostly almonds and seeds, with some peanuts). For lunch I have either a salad, or three pieces of cheese from the cafeteria. Dinner is back to meat and vegetables followed by berries since they're in season.

So am I in jeopardy of back peddling? or just being a little over the top? Anyone have any suggestions a PB'r can do for work? I am afraid that the inactivity might ruin my weight loss.

Thanks!

girlarchitect is offline Senior Member
    You are sitting all day. Do you need to snack?
    Consider also breaking up the day with a lunchtime walk - 20-30 minutes is all you need.
    Sitting is Unhealthy (and What to Do About It) | Mark's Daily Apple
    The Definitive Guide to Walking | Mark's Daily Apple

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    No one ever needs to snack. Stop it. Also work towards not eating lunch. Have a bigger breakfast or dinner instead.

You can get up once an hour or so and walk around the office for 5 minutes, or just stretch or something. And the noon walk is great, too.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Alright but let's say I do require lunch/snack of some sort. What would a perfect PB choice be? I figure a salad would be good.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Salad with protein in it. Make your own vinaigrette for dressing.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    I started working a desk job about a year and a half ago. It didn't affect me negatively. I definitely also recommend a lunch/mid-day walking break. I do it even here in the sweltering Georgia heat and humidity (well, lately, a portion of it is through a really long air conditioned building). If anything, I've gotten more muscular and leaner since I started working. Then again, I've upped the intensity in the gym that I have access to at work, so maybe that's the reason, heh.

Thanks for the tip! A mid-afternoon walk sounds like a good idea. Might be a little chilly in the winter, it definitely won't be Georgia warm (I'm in Toronto). What is your typical weekday diet like?

peril is offline Senior Member
    I have a salad with canned fish for lunch most days, but am fasting today. No snacks. Just unnecessary, especially nuts and seeds. I have an offal curry with yoghurt of breakfast and meat and vegetables for dinner

I don't understand why you can't find time to move slowly, lift heavy things, sprint and play. Many of us work and have time for these things. I walk 3km on the way to work each day, and 3km on the way home. I do my LHT and sprinting before breakfast on workdays. Play on the weekend
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

HeatherJ is offline Senior Member
    I work a desk job and do 12 hr shifts to boot (lots of sitting on my ass). I always skip breakfast and just have a midday meal and an evening meal (or on nightshift, a meal at 5pm and 12am). For my at-work meal, I normally always bring a big salad with protein, dressed with olive oil and freshly ground black pepper and maybe some berries. I go outside, get fresh air, and take a walk on every break. I dont snack.

Just dont let the boredom and monotony of a desk job let you slide into bad habits, you should be fine.

girlarchitect is offline Senior Member
    Lunch for me is almost always a huge salad with lots of veggies plus a protein (canned tuna, salmon or leftovers from the night before). This is the perfect solution for me to avoid that dreaded post lunch food coma and I've started eating this lunch as my standard long before I discovered primal.

In terms of walking at lunch, I live in DC - we get hot and muggy in the summer and cold, icy and damp in the winter. Before that I lived in Wisconsin - very cold in the winter (so I have a pretty good idea of your Toronto winters). You can usually get out for a 30 minute walk. I manage almost every day here in DC even in the summer (well, not always when it's over 100 degrees). Winters are actually easier than summer - just put on the parka, boots, hat and gloves. Cold weather is great for you. I'm sure you hear from the locals as it seems to be common wisdom wherever it is cold in winters that cold is healthy - and it's true.

When you can't get outside due to heat, cold or whatever weather issue your city is dealing with, I would recommend walking up a couple flights of stairs. Don't run. Walk. It will get your blood going and really make a difference. But really make an effort to get outdoors. Move your body - let it know you aren't done using it.
    My primal journal that I don't update enough:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33293.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast