Thread: Numbers on the scale, how I look page

Unshod Sarah is offline Senior Member

Numbers on the scale, how I look

Primal Fuel
    Muscular or not, my weight is too much for my frame. I've been working hard to get it down and even though I feel good and feeling stronger, the scale won't budge. I was feeling so down about it yesterday, yet today several different people commented on how slim I looked! It was a great boost to confidence that maybe something is working! YAY!

faithy22 is offline Member
    There are several posts here from women about how the scale means absolutely nothing. But I agree that, as women, we tend to be obsessed with the scale.

trapperjohnme is offline Senior Member
    forget the scales. If you are interested in "losing weight" for health reasons the scale is meaningless. If you are doing it for attractiveness reasons it is also meaningless. do you think when a guy sees a gal walking down a street he thinks "Dang, I wish I had a scale so I can tell she is attractive"? or does he simply look at shape and proportions?
    Do whats healthy and your body will be and look healthy.

Mike in Virginia is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by trapperjohnme View Post
    forget the scales. If you are interested in "losing weight" for health reasons the scale is meaningless. If you are doing it for attractiveness reasons it is also meaningless. do you think when a guy sees a gal walking down a street he thinks "Dang, I wish I had a scale so I can tell she is attractive"? or does he simply look at shape and proportions?
    +1

Sarah, if you are getting compliments on how slim you look, I don't see how your weight could be too much for your frame. Maybe you're looking at a chart of "ideal" weights? If so, I'd throw that out with the scale. Sounds to me like you're doing great and have nothing to be discouraged about. :-)
    Live your life and love your life. It's the only one you get.

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    +1

PrimalClay is offline Senior Member
    I agree it is hard not to get upset about your weight on the scale.

If you totally boil it down then basically we are taught from an early age that the higher the number the scale shows the "worse" you are.
    High number = Bad , Bad = Fat, Fat = Unhappy. Its our society that pushes this at every turn.

Since going primal back in January I have struggled with this issue as well. I get upset when my number just sits there for a week or two at a time. All in all I have lost a ton of weight and I am really healthy.

At 6 foot tall and 240 pounds according to the"charts" I think I am still obese and just a hair under severely obese. In reality I am an individual person and not part of the statistics. I am extremely strong (like Hulk my 2 year old son says) and have great cardio conditioning, hardly what you would associate with being "obese."

Eventually you have to learn not to sweat it (weight) or the emphasis will become a number and not your health.

In my opinion complements are the fuel that keeps us going. Who does not want to look good and be noticed? Hold on to those and forget the scale.

chima_p is offline Senior Member
    Weight is only the measurement of the force of gravity on your mass. Since you can't change gravity what you should really be worried about is your mass, specifically fat mass.

If you are upset enough to muster the effort to post about your weight, then you should at least put the effort into finding out what it is you are actually whinning about.

What you want to know is:

Weight - (weight * %body fat) = Lean mass

Go to the store and get a pair of $15 calipers and figure out your %bf. Whether that number is inaccurate or not is not important. You are looking for a downward trend in your fat mass over time not exact percents.

If that trend stagnates or increases THEN maybe get upset.

Getting upset about Weight - (???) = ??? is self defeating and just plain silly.

The scale is useful but it is only one variable in the equation.

Oh and reread Chapter 8.

newberrycrater is online now Senior Member
    forget the scales. If you are interested in "losing weight" for health reasons the scale is meaningless. If you are doing it for attractiveness reasons it is also meaningless. do you think when a guy sees a gal walking down a street he thinks "Dang, I wish I had a scale so I can tell she is attractive"? or does he simply look at shape and proportions?Do whats healthy and your body will be and look healthy.

Brilliant!