Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help re. my visit to the gastro page

spincycle is offline Senior Member

Need help re. my visit to the gastro

I'm a Primal newbie, 8 weeks into the plan and have been suffering IBS-type (gastro-intestinal issues- gas, bloating, diarrhea, stomach pain) right around when I started the plan. I'd been on the Slow Carb diet from Jan. until I started Primal about mid-May. The main difference is that I cut out legumes and ramped up my vegetable intake- lots of broccoli, spinach, cauliflower, artichokes, mushrooms, salads 3-4 times a day to make up for the legumes and added a little dairy (Greek yogurt 3-4 x/week) and some fruit (berries 4-5x /week). I've done some research and my most educated guess is that I upset the balance of stomach flora, and that the fiber intake was too much. I've been following a low FODMAP diet for the past 3 weeks, and last week was good, but I'm very limited in what I can eat, I've been surviving on chicken soup with sweet potatoes or carrots, eggs, steak, hamburgers, and an occasional PB pumpkin muffin.

I went to the gastro today, and she was very uninterested in my diet, FODMAP, PB. She thinks that fiber is causing my issues and did rule out hernia, gallstones, and thinks stomach/colon cancers are very unlikely based on my symptoms. She mentioned stomach bacteria and thinks I have new "bad" bacteria that she wants to kill off. She prescribed a 10 day course of the antibiotic Xifaxan (rifamaxin) and a 30 day course of probiotics (Florastor). I've always heard of people developing stomach issues after antibiotics, I've never heard of taking antibiotics to kill off the bad stuff and using probiotics to restock the good stuff. I can't even tell from the sample's label what kind of probiotics are in Florastor. I'm going to research it before I take anything, but does anyone have any insights into this treatment plan? Any help, opinions, links, would be appreciated.

On a side note, she was very dismissive of me, talked over me when I tried to answer her questions or talk to her about my diet or FODMAP. At one point she even called me "combative" when I asked her questions about how the antibiotic would kill off just the "bad" bacteria, and where sources of gluten would come from in my diet (she suggested a blood test for Celiac's, which I am doing). This sucks, I have a feeling that this is how my dealings with the medical profession are going to be from now on since I found PB. The GI told me that she would "never" tell any of her patients to cut out grains or dairy since they contains "so, so many good things".

abstractpersona is offline Senior Member
    have been suffering IBS-type (gastro-intestinal issues- gas, bloating, diarrhea, stomach pain) right around when I started the plan.
    Very common on those that switch from high-carb CW to primal. It should go away, if not... read on.

The main difference is that I cut out legumes and ramped up my vegetable intake- lots of broccoli, spinach, cauliflower, artichokes, mushrooms, salads 3-4 times a day
    Cooked or cooked?
    Cooked is best if you've got gastric problems. If you cook them and still have problems, drastically reduce broccoli and cauliflower, and add more leafy greens (assuming you can have those on FODMAP? My IBS-D was cured 100% with Primal, I haven't tried FODMAP, but I might look into it)

I went to the gastro today, and she was very uninterested in my diet.
    Red flag, find another gastro.

I've always heard of people developing stomach issues after antibiotics
    Right.
    Instead, you might want to have fermented foods. Be a lot more strict about eliminating flours and sugars.

..she even called me "combative" when I asked her questions
    Red flag, fire her.

where sources of gluten would come from in my diet
    Why does she want you on gluten? Just because everyone's supposed to eat them? Do you feel healthier without grains? If so, that should be reason enough to keep them out of your diet, and she should accept that.

(she suggested a blood test for Celiac's, which I am doing).
    The truth is, many people have trouble with gluten whether or not they are Celiac.

This sucks, I have a feeling that this is how my dealings with the medical profession are going to be from now on since I found PB. The GI told me that she would "never" tell any of her patients to cut out grains or dairy since they contains "so, so many good things".
    So? Don't tell them what you eat. There's nothing wrong with eating only "meat, fish, eggs, vegetables, fruit", and if a "doctor" is stupid enough to say there is, s/he deserves to be kicked on the chin.
    Last edited by abstractpersona; 07-14-2011 at 12:55 PM.
    My smartphone makes me about $100 per month
    Updating my journal again after a 2 year break.

abstractpersona is offline Senior Member
    Also, what kind/brand of greek yogurt do you eat?

Strained/greek yogurt is not supposed to have lactose, but some brands do have lactose. If you're not sure, remove it from your diet to see if your IBS gets better.
    My smartphone makes me about $100 per month
    Updating my journal again after a 2 year break.

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    Forget the dr.

IBS is catch-all for "don't know."

Most people just do the elimination routine. Stop eating things one at a time until you figure it out. I don't think much of the gut flora theory.

HeatherJ is offline Senior Member
    No advice, but I sympathise. The same thing happened to me today at an appointment for allergy testing. The dietician talked over me, wasnt interested in the diet, and told me to get 50% of my calories from 'starchy carbs and grains'. Sucks!

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spincycle View Post
    She mentioned stomach bacteria and thinks I have new "bad" bacteria that she wants to kill off. She prescribed a 10 day course of the antibiotic Xifaxan (rifamaxin) and a 30 day course of probiotics (Florastor).
    I wouldn't take it. Rifamaxin is being touted by Pimental as a "wonder cure" for IBS, but even if it helps it's only temporary. Doctors (mostly) just prescribe. Google Dr. Pimental, the drug, SIBO, efficacy, etc . . . The PB will do more good. You likely won't have to stay on FODMAP forever, just until you can get your gut bacteria under control. Read through this blog as well. Cooling Inflammation All antibiotics will do is give you a temporary decrease in the overgrowth of bacteria but it will come back, most likely worse. You may have fructose malabsorption as well, I do, in which case you'll likely have to cut way back, most likely for life, but not nearly as severely as FODMAP.

Griff is offline Senior Member
    Find a new doc. This one obviously doesn't know what she's talking about.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

OK, past my bedtime, but I just reread what you wrote. You went to the doctor for gut issues that only just started when you started PB? In that case, completely ignore everything that the doctor told you. She's useless. Less than useless, I'd say dangerous. A change in diet will almost always cause digestive upset in the beginning. Usually you just have to ease off on the gas producing foods and slowly increase their intake. You don't need antibiotics and they will most likely screw up your guts even worse. Probiotics aren't very useful as they don't contain the diversity needed to repopulate your gut after so much is wiped out from the AB's. What then happens is that there's a good chance that you will end up with some kind of overgrowth.

spincycle is offline Senior Member
    Thank you, wise, Primal people. You've confirmed what I thought. Half of me is still stuck in CW, I will admit to fondling the samples of antibiotics she wants to start me on and thinking how great it would be if they worked, magic pills are so much easier than an elimination diet ;-) I am definitely not going to go back to her.

Another question then- right now I am literally surviving on very few foods. Proteins are fine (chicken, beef, fish, eggs). I eat chicken soup with sweet potato or carrots 2-3 times a day, bananas, and the proteins I mentioned. These are the foods I've found that don't cause GI distress. So for the past 10 days, a typical day looks like this:

Breakfast: Bowl of chicken soup with sweet potatoes or carrots
    Lunch: Bowl of same chicken soup with a side of beef or fish
    Snack: Banana
    Dinner: 2 fried eggs

I've tried to add small amounts of other foods (tomatoes, eggplant, yogurt, red bell peppers) with no success. I'm going to try spinach in the soup today. How long can I continue with this limited diet? I'm concerned about not getting the nutrients that I need. Should I be taking supplements? I've gotta say, aside from the GI distress, I've been feeling great- alert, energetic, happy- even on this limited diet.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    A bit of GI distress won't hurt you, as long as it isn't extreme. It may be uncomfortable, but it will pass. (heh) From the looks of how you were eating when you first started the PB you introduced A LOT of veggies, many of them notorious gas/distress producing. Too much too soon will freak your guts out.

Do you have access to a farmer's market with fresh organic veggies? If so, then I would get some leafy greens and fresh herbs. Even better if you can grow your own herbs, and just rinse off the dirt, trying to leave the naturally occurring bacteria. This will be much more beneficial for you than store bought probiotics. Change one of your daily meals to a salad with the greens and herbs. You want a variety of foods because your gut flora will adapt to what you eat. The bacteria we need to digest the foods we eat are actually found on the foods we eat but the SAD processes foods so thoroughly, simplifies our foods to the point that our gut flora shifts to a simplified one. It takes time and a little discomfort to get our guts to a healthier state. Some people eat fermented foods as well, but I find that most are just too extreme for my guts, due to healing from FM and gluten intolerance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast