Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need help re. my visit to the gastro page 2

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by abstractpersona View Post
    Strained/greek yogurt is not supposed to have lactose, but some brands do have lactose. If you're not sure, remove it from your diet to see if your IBS gets better.
    All brands of Greek yogurt I've found are very rich in lactose. They're just regular yogurt that has had the whey strained out to make them thick. The only way to remove lactose is to ferment the yogurt for 24-36hrs (instead of the usual standard 4-8hrs), which makes a *very* tart yogurt. One taste and you know that's not the case with storebought yogurt of any kind I've ever tried (and I've had many many wonderful specialty brands), and one look at the carb count will confirm it.

The OP mentioned adding eggplant, tomato, & bell peppers and having troubles. I don't know if this is your issue, but these are all nightshades, which some people can't do (I don't know what the symptoms of nightshade intolerance are, though).

Did you do dairy before going primal? If not, I'd start right there with the elimination diet.

Is the chicken broth homemade? If so, yay! great for your belly. Just add ferments and you've got a great recipe for improving digestion, along with removing problem foods until gut flora is well balanced. (And no, I don't think going primal threw off your balance.)
    5'4" 39yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Weigh: 175lb
    Deadlift: 225lb x 4
    Bench: 125 x 2
    Back Squat: 155 x 2
    Overhead Press: 80 x 1
    Determined to beat binge-eating disorder no matter what it takes!

Solldara is offline Senior Member
    I'm sorry but I disagree with most of what is posted here even though I'm rarely a fan of CW and am definitely in the "you know your body better than any doctor" camp.

You seem very vague on the most important question which is why did you book an appointment to go and see a gasto doctor in the first place ?

1 - If the answer is that you have had various problems that are gastro related over a long period of time hence you trying so many different diets then that is a whole different post to if the answer is that:

2 - You have always had great digestion and problems have only started occurring since you altered your eating to PB

So I don't think anyone can comment on this until we actually understand the issue, because imo if the answer is 2 then I don't really understand why you made the appointment - and I don't think anyone can fault a doctor who says that an eating plan is not agreeing with you if you have made an appointment to see them because the eating plan you are using is not.
    1st June 11 to 30st Aug 11 - 36lb removed in 13 weeks
    Messed about on and off for the rest of the year

June 2012 - Had the practice - now time to do it for real

spincycle is offline Senior Member
    Some replies (sorry I haven't figured out how to add the original quotes yet):

I do have access to a Farmer's Market. Lettuces wreak havoc on my system, but I will search for spinach and watercress and herbs and see how that goes, thanks for the suggestion. I have read about the importance of "dirty" organic produce, I'll hunt for it today!

I did not do dairy before going Primal, I'd been on a Slow Carb diet (no dairy or fruits, but lots of legumes) since Jan. So the big changes when I went Primal were 1. Ramping up veggie intake to replace legumes, 2. Introducing Greek yogurt 3-4 times a week 3. Eating some fruits- berries, bananas. Also, I wasn't aware that Greek yogurt had lactose, but I haven't eaten any for the past 10-11 days anyways, as I've really restricted my diet to try to avoid GI symptoms.

My chicken broth is homemade sometimes, and sometimes not, depending on what's handy, but the soup is always homemade. Can you tell me more about ferments? Can I buy them, or do I make them?

Thanks for all the help, it's been frustrating; it seems the healthier I eat the worse my stomach feels. Never had these issue on a conventional diet, or the slow carb diet.

Mud Flinger is offline Senior Member
    The nightshade symptoms I have are pain in muscles and joints - much like the aches you get from the flu. I never had GI upset from them. Also, I add kale to my chicken soup along with carrots, onions and celery. Very good nutrition from boiling a chicken carcas along w/ 1-2TB apple cider vinegar (it helps leach out good stuff from the bones). I now use my crock pot out on my back deck and let it go over night. The broth is really rich and yummy. I would not take the antibiotics either as they will surely cause another problem somewhere for you. I don't think your diet is too limited either - in fact I'm sure it's better than most!

Solldara is offline Senior Member
    Hmm forum just ate my longer post.

Booking an appointment with the gasto will have just confirmed to them what they believe that they already "know" - following a PB is bad for you and gives patients bad symptoms which will make it even less likely that they will listen with an open mind to their next patient on a Primal diet.

Anyway - If you're only getting symptoms since following a PB diet I would go back to your low carb Diet and see if the symptoms disappear - if they do then you have your answer - your body does not like something you're giving it eating primally. If they don't then there could be other problems which would have warranted a gasto appointment.

Once you know the answer to whether its the primal diet thats causing your symptoms then first try adding in something that you ate primally and not on the low carb diet - ie yoghurt and see if it cases the problems - rinse and repeat till you have the answer.
    1st June 11 to 30st Aug 11 - 36lb removed in 13 weeks
    Messed about on and off for the rest of the year

June 2012 - Had the practice - now time to do it for real

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    So how's your digestion since eliminating all dairy? Have you had any at all in the last 10 days?

You can buy or make ferments. Traditionally, *all* condiments were fermented, and all pickled foods were. In the last 100-200 years, vinegar has replaced fermentation (it copies the taste and preservation abilities, but loses the probiotic feature of fermentation) in most preserved foods. Fermenting is EZ. The simplest way to start is to cut up some cabbage, mix in some shredded carrot, stuff a quart Mason jar full, add a tablespoon of (unrefined) sea salt), cover with water, cover the jar (with anything, but if it's airtight, be sure and leave some room above the liquid so it doesn't explode!), and leave on the counter for 3-30 days. When it smells tart and is bubbly, it's fermented. You just made sauerkraut!

options for buying: Unsweetened yogurt of any kind, some sour cream (look for "live and active cultures"), buttermilk, some sauerkraut (should have no ingredients other than cabbage & salt, and shouldn't say "pasteurized"), Bubbies pickles, GT's kombucha. Check out the link someone gave above to learn more about ferments or put this in google: site:westonaprice.org ferment

I make fermented mayo, sauerkraut, kim chee, pickles, beets, beet kvass, watermelon rind, salad dressings, apple butter, wines, apple cider vinegar, hard apple cider, kefir, garlic, all kinds of things. You can do pickled eggs, pigs' feet, soy sauce, ketchup, mustard, beer, sourdough bread, all manner of things. Best for beginning is just to keep it simple - pick something that sounds appealing to you, learn it, and do it weekly so you always have some on hand. Eat a condiment-sized portion with lunch & dinner, and you're doing what people before you have nearly always done, all over the world.
    5'4" 39yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Weigh: 175lb
    Deadlift: 225lb x 4
    Bench: 125 x 2
    Back Squat: 155 x 2
    Overhead Press: 80 x 1
    Determined to beat binge-eating disorder no matter what it takes!

L8F
    L8F is offline Senior Member
    Learn More
    I agree with above, return to the slow carb plan if that was working for you. It is quite similar except for the legumes. If your body did better with the legumes, and did not have these issues, I would listen. Each of us has very different GI issues. Slow carb is a good diet in my opinion.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12