Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you gain weight if you don't feel hungry? page

JPA
    JPA is offline Senior Member

How do you gain weight if you don't feel hungry?

Primal Fuel
    I'm in the particular position that I need to gain weight, and I have lunch and dinner for the day at 1-9pm. I'm thinking to myself that IF is not making me put weight.

On the other hand I have no hunger between those meals, and if you follow Mark's advice on "eat when you're hungry", then I just don't and never end up gaining any appreciable weight.

Maybe I just got used to the bigger meals... I' considering going back to 3 meals a day with breakfast or, blasphemy as you may think about it, start having grains again to gain weight. Diary, eggs, nuts, fruit, nothing affects me, and grains didn't either, I basically just started going grain-less out of curiosity and a bit of a way of losing weight.

The problem is I lost too much weight and now I want to gain around 7kgs.

spakesneaker is offline Senior Member
    Force yourself to eat... ice cream and lots of sweet potatoes. Rice with chicken curry. Lots of fruit.
    Lots of people have also noticed that when they eat breakfast they get hungrier later.

Good luck. I wish I was in your position!

JPA
    JPA is offline Senior Member
    Yeah... this is a bit problematic for me... I'm burning calories like crazy and I barely do any cardio (walking). I workout twice a week and that's that.

I eat 2300-2400 calories on rest days and 2700-2800 on workout days. I barely gained 1kg in the last 2-3 weeks. And then I get really surprised with people saying they only eat 1500 calories a day.

And I'm only 69kgs (150lbs or so).

My body must be burning calories like crazy, and I'm averaging 150-300g of carbs a day.

AndreaReina is offline Senior Member
    How tall are you? At 5'11, 61kg I know I need at least 2500kcals to maintain, and if you're not even there on your rest days I'm not surprised you're not gaining. The answer is to eat more, even when not hungry. A large breakfast, lunch, and dinner every day, and if you tolerate dairy then milk is a good tool as well. I'm not advocating GOMAD necessarily, but liquid calories are the easiest to consume, and there aren't very many Primal liquid calorie sources .

Pile eggs fried in butter or lard on top of your food. If you eat veggies, use even more fat to stir-fry them. Making mashed potatoes? Add more butter! When eating fish (which tends to be filling and calorie-light) use caloric sauces like home-made Primal mayonnaise (use olive oil, optionally mix in some duck, goose, cow, or pig fat), hollandaise, etc. If pan-frying a steak when you're done and resting the steak (you do rest your steaks, right?) put a pat of butter or a splash of heavy cream into the pan with the flame still on and scrape the bottom with a wooden spoon to get the drippings incorporated into the butter/cream, and pour that over the steak as a sauce.

Hot Chocolate: melt 2-3oz good dark chocolate with 2Tbsp coconut oil (or butter, depends on taste) over a gentle flame. When melted whisk in a cup of milk and let it heat through. Enjoy

SugarBaby is offline Senior Member
    My dad and all his family are tall and very thin; I remember my dad and his brothers trying to gain weight back in the 1950 with milkshakes and other such fattening food--meaning what fattens most people--loaded with sugar, starch, etc. A process they did not enjoy as I would have. Not a one ever changed that basic shape, and normally they all ate lots of food, more to the primal side than not. Here is where your basic biology does play a role: mesomorph-avg, ectomorph-thin, endomorph-large. You might like to look at this site: Your Body Type - Ectomorph, Mesomorph or Endomorph? | Muscle & Strength

In Life Without Bread, Wolfgang Lutz, a Viennese doctor who used the low-carb (under 72g) diet to treat thousands of patients, has a photo of an emaciated looking fellow who couldn't gain weight, until he went on this lower carb program. His before and after pictures where dramatic.

So do you eat enough but not too much good primal carbs? Do you get plenty of fat and protein? If so, you are probably just the shape you are genetically meant to be. Which is not to say you can't add muscle with weight training.
    WWW.SUGARAHOLICS.COM

I was a sugarbaby; meaning since I was born I was given lots of sugar, and ate lots of processed foods, especially sweets until I was into my thirties. Most people in the west were/are sugarbabies.

“How does today’s youngster educate his sense of taste? By submerging it in a sea of sugar from the time he gets up to the time he goes to bed.” W. Root and Richard DeRochemont, Eating in America (1976)

jjones is offline Member
    If you're trying to gain weight, then Mark's advice to eat only when you're hungry simply does not apply. That is not the goal toward which his advice is tailored. If you're trying to gain weight and you're not having any success, then eat more.

You may need upwards of 1000kcal more than you're eating. I'm very slight, 5'9" and about 150lbs, and eat at least about 2500kcal a day on average without training and don't gain. If I want to gain, I drink a litre of milk on training days (two or three times a week) and training consists only of heavy deads, squats, weighted pullups, dips - in some combination or another.

So yeah.. ignore your natural hunger prompt and eat. Oh, and I would advise to eat a lot of protein, >1g/lb LBM. If you're 135lbs LBM and you want to put on, say, 15lbs muslce, then perhaps eat at least 150g protein/day. I don't know if that's bunk or not, but it's worked for me (although, as I said, I'm a little guy so maybe you don't want to listen to me )

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    I'm not super anti-grain but knowing all I do about them now I could never go back to making them a staple. I have bread sometimes, very rarely, and I know full well it won't kill me but I would never include it all the time.

Just eat white rice with fatty meat, and forget about IF. I realize you said you're not really doing IF on purpose anymore, just out of being used to it, but similarly once you start having breakfast again you will get used to that 3 meal a day schedule. Also, feel free to snack whenever any type of hunger comes about.

The easiest thing for my body to do is gain weight, so I can't share any personal experience trying to gain. I notice you're eating a lot of carbs already, which is good, are you also eating a lot of fat? Have you always had this "issue" ?? could just be that's just the way your body does it ...

fufonzo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jjones View Post
    If you're trying to gain weight, then Mark's advice to eat only when you're hungry simply does not apply. That is not the goal toward which his advice is tailored. If you're trying to gain weight and you're not having any success, then eat more.

You may need upwards of 1000kcal more than you're eating. I'm very slight, 5'9" and about 150lbs, and eat at least about 2500kcal a day on average without training and don't gain. If I want to gain, I drink a litre of milk on training days (two or three times a week) and training consists only of heavy deads, squats, weighted pullups, dips - in some combination or another.

So yeah.. ignore your natural hunger prompt and eat. Oh, and I would advise to eat a lot of protein, >1g/lb LBM. If you're 135lbs LBM and you want to put on, say, 15lbs muslce, then perhaps eat at least 150g protein/day. I don't know if that's bunk or not, but it's worked for me (although, as I said, I'm a little guy so maybe you don't want to listen to me )
    Robb Wolf even suggests 1g per lb of total body weight (for everyone actually, not just people looking to gain weight).

wildwabbit is offline Senior Member
    Wouldn't the only way to put on the "right" kind of weight be body-building?

petriquor is offline Senior Member
    Salt does wonders when it comes to hunger (I'm guessing due to how it triggers thirst). Salted macadamias do it for me (waaay to easy to overeat those). That, and coconut milk, just drink it straight.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast