Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My father has diabetes related kidney disease, could PB help? page

slarsen is offline Junior Member

My father has diabetes related kidney disease, could PB help?

Shop Now
    Hi Mark,
    My name is Sanjay and ive been following moreorless your diet for a couple months now.
    Suffice to say its looking good and i feel fantastic!

My father was recently diagnosed as having diabetes related kidney disease. The doctors are anticipating his kidneys will fail in the future (but they havent yet!). Now i know you're not a doctor, and i'm not asking for any medical advice.

But what i would like to know, is if maybe you could give a shout out any PB'ers here that are or were diabetics/had kidney problems that have been in a similar situation to my dad and used a PB/Ketogenic diet to improve their health, if they could contact me or PM, so i can get an idea of what kind of advice to give my Dad (he doesn't follow any diet atm).

If you can, that would mean so much to me, my Dad is the very definition of grok and you'd be helping a young man give back to his father who has given him so much.

Cheers, Sanjay

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Hi Sanjay. Welcome.

Unfortunately, Mark can't possibly read all the posts here. You can write to him through the Contact button on the home page. But he makes it clear that he won't answer medical questions. However, there are many of us with diabetes and kidney problems. (Neither is serious in my case, thankfully.) Search for "diabetes kidney." You will get a zillion posts to read.

Primal does help diabetes. That in turn should help the kidneys.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Thanks for your help Hedonist

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I assume you have seen this? Low Carbohydrate High Fat Ketogenic Diet May Reverse Kidney Failure in People with Diabetes | Health Impact News

There has been a lot of discussion on this in the past, so hopefully your search will bring up some interesting threads to follow.

Hey Jammies, i have read similar articles but i havent read that specific one, thank you for the link dude.

Yeah ive managed to find atleast one member who managed to reverse their kidney disease with a primal type diet, what i'm after is some concrete steps i can tell my dad

what to expect, what to cut down on (ive already got him on the primal diet for about 2 weeks now but need to know whether protein should be low or not. people with kidney disease are recommended very very low protein diets) etc

its pretty much a severe quality of life type situation and i'm determined to not see him have to be in pain with dialysis for the rest of his life. the guy is an ox and i want him to return to his health like one as well

Barb is offline Senior Member
    If your father's kidneys are already compromised, it is important that he not eat a high protein diet. He needs to eat enough protein for his body weight, but NO MORE. Healthy kidneys are fine with a high protein diet and it will not cause kidney disease, but diseased kidneys can worsen on a high protein diet.

So, if he is going to do the low carb/primal thing, he needs to add more fat calories to substitute for the carbs he is taking out and keep his protein appropriate for his weight. A good starting point is .5g protein per pound of body weight - so divide his weight in half, that's how many grams of protein to eat. If he is quite fat or sedentary, you can decrease that amount a bit. If he exercises a lot and is muscular, increase it a bit.

js290 is offline Senior Member

jordan89 is offline Junior Member
    Krill oil is used for heart disease, high levels of certain blood fats (triglycerides), high cholesterol, high blood pressure, stroke, cancer, osteoarthritis, diabetes, depression, premenstrual syndrome (PMS), and painful menstrual periods. I required this for my Mother, she is suffering from High blood pressure problem and diabetes for a very long time, i came across Kill Doctor Professional Brand Krill oil, i bought it online from their website and very much satisfied with its decent price & moreover its positive results,.

tony198793 is offline Junior Member
    Look up glycation as well.

Maya1234 is offline Junior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Hi Barb and Sanjay,

My father is dealing with a similar issue. He is in early stages of kidney disease, but is not diabetic. I'm worried that he's not getting enough nutrition. Can you - or anyone else - recommend any articles or references that I can give to his doctor regarding 0.5g protein per pound of body weight?

My dad is already 75% primal, but his "kidney disease diet" is mainly grains, sugar, margarine with limited meat and limited veggies. I'd hate for him to go back to the SAD diet. On top of that my dad is allergic to nuts and all seafood. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast