Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diabetes concern page

petriquor is offline Senior Member

Diabetes concern

Shop Now
    I'm an admitted (recovering) sugar addict and was pretty much raised on sugar. A few Mountain Dews a day was normal. Probably the only reason I didn't become morbidly obese was because my parents were at least somewhat limiting. After recently switching to a primal/paleo-ish diet early this year, I've cut out virtually all refined sugar. Problem is I have had a few relapses, and the last couple times it's been really bad, and I felt like I was going to die. Any possible symptom I could get it seemed like I had. The one that's been sticking out, though, is that my calves/feet have swollen up quite a bit during these instances. I know this is a classic sign of diabetes, so that has me extremely worried.

I'm getting blood work done soon, but I already feel resigned to my fate. Am I overreacting? Is it possible these incidents are simply a shock to my system?

[EDIT: "overreating", not "overeating", lol]
    Last edited by petriquor; 07-14-2011 at 08:48 AM.

Paleobirdy is offline Senior Member
    Were you doing low carb? I do know that people who do low carb for awhile tend to have an exaggerated response to carbs. Good for you for taking action now instead of waiting. Dr. Bernstein said in his book something that really stuck with me. He says he treats all people with metabolic syndrome and the beginnings of type 2 the same as type 1's.
    Last year I was following a weight-reducing, careful, "healthy" CW diet, and had removed most of the sugar. So, I was pretty shocked when my doc did an hba1c and while it was in the normal range, it was on the high side. That's when I took out as much sugar as I could. I don't have metabolic syndrome or diabetes, but we are eating around here as if we both have it.
    You might like reading Drs. Bernstein and Rosedale. They have quite a bit to say about what needs to be done to control diabetes. Very good reading for anyone who is concerned about their condition. Don't be resigned, just try what they suggest, and especially read Bernstein.

megalodon is offline Senior Member
    Your health is in your own hands,it's really up to you.Eat foods detailed in Mark's book,stick to it,no relapses.

Resign yourself to GOOD health,nothing else,your choice.Good luck with your bloodwork

P.S. I started primal 14 months as a type 2 diabetic which has now reversed.

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    Feeling horrid after a sudden sugar challenge has nothing to do with diabetes. It doesn't even have to do with blood sugar level, the insulin surge itself is enough to make you sick.

I'm starting to want to put up a billboard: if you didn't test your blood sugar, you don't know what it is.
    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

petriquor is offline Senior Member
    I've actually been doing pretty close to 100% primal (besides going organic) when I've actually stuck to it. I'm probably going lower on the carbs than I need to as well, since I've been working out a bit too. Pretty sure I've been dipping into ketosis now and then. Thinking of starting regular carb refeeds with sweet potatos and rice, perhaps.

So yeah, hopefully it was just the extreme change that threw me off. I ate well over a gallon of ice cream handily the other day. Since I'm currently on the thin side, I almost looked at it as an accomplishment in a weird sort of way. I'd probably do well in eating competitions if I wasn't so concerned about my health these days (lol).

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by petriquor View Post
    I'd probably do well in eating competitions if I wasn't so concerned about my health these days (lol).
    Haha, I think I would too. People are often amazed at the amount of food I can put away.

I'm also concerned about diabetes. Even back when I was eating really low carb, my fasted blood sugar was in the 90s or even 100s at times. My post-prandial BG was about the same. After I started doing high carb post-workout, it didn't really change. Fasting and post-prandial were both in the 90s most of the time.

I did a home HbA1C test and it was 5.6, which equates to an average BG of 122, although I NEVER saw it test that high. And I tested all throughout the day: Morning fasted, post-workout, 30 minutes post-prandial, 1 hour pp, 2 hour pp.

I also started supplementing with magnesium citrate and tried testing again after a month or two of using it, but saw no improvement.

My latest tactic is walking more each day. I will report back when I try testing again.

I know my results don't sound bad to a diabetic, but I am 25 y/o, weight train 4x/week and eat what I think is an extremely healthy diet. I'm not sure what else to do to get really good blood glucose results short of eating less (the only time I've seen my BG below 80 is when I had a very extended fast)Am I worrying about nothing? Is there any way to lower my BG without drugs?

The A1c = a certain blood sugar level is just an estimation. Independent of blood sugar, A1c is still a risk factor though. Fish oil capsules with your carbs is one way to get it down. 5.6 is high normal... Not bad.

When you are VLC, it flattens your blood sugar, which means your FBS rises. So you will have a higher FBS than if you were carbing.

The thing to be careful about is the peaks... A blood sugar over 140 causes damage to the body (measurable arterial damage ip to 30 days later in mice). You can have a low A1c and still be peaking over 140 every day.

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    Thanks for the advice loafingcactus. I had heard somewhere that it was bad to combine carbs and PUFA (fish oil), due to oxidative damage, but maybe this just applied to fructose.

That is the weird thing: I never saw my BG spike higher than 110 or so. And it was usually in the 90s or even 80s, yet my A1c tested as 5.6. My BG seemed to be pretty flat wether my carbs were low or high, just at a flat level that I think is a little too high.

Has anyone had good results with chromium? I'm thinking of giving it a shot.

I've seen that here too... Maybe someone who has some info on that will pipe up? Where I'm coming from is that it takes your A1c down by causing the Glycating reaction with the fish oil instead of with the cells (some people think this has the bigger affect on the heart benefit of fish oil than anything about it's function as an oil). Only the very long chain of fish oil works.

I'm suspicious of chromium in the form of chromium picolinate because it is a mutagen in several species of animals. Definitely wouldn't take it if I were of breeding potential.

SugarBaby is offline Senior Member
    Your body does not like or want refined sugar, but your brain doesn't know the difference. Diabetes of the T2 variety is a cumulative illness that is sending out loads of signals well before the disease gets diagnosed. Anyone who has gone off sugar then had a lapse experiences all kinds of noxious reactions, like being nauseated, getting terrible gut gripping bms, bloating, brain fog, and the list goes on. That reaction tells you just how bad all that sugar really is, and to avoid it like the plague.
    WWW.SUGARAHOLICS.COM

I was a sugarbaby; meaning since I was born I was given lots of sugar, and ate lots of processed foods, especially sweets until I was into my thirties. Most people in the west were/are sugarbabies.

“How does today’s youngster educate his sense of taste? By submerging it in a sea of sugar from the time he gets up to the time he goes to bed.” W. Root and Richard DeRochemont, Eating in America (1976)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast