Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vegetarian Primal Diet for Diabetics page

maba is offline Senior Member

Shop Now

My husband wants me to recommend a vegetarian Primal diet for his uncle in India who is diabetic. He's lacto-vegetarian. Is this doable? What can he eat? How can he bring his blood sugar under contol? I think he has kidney issues too as a result of his diabetes. Griff, any advice/ suggestions.

Pikaia is offline Junior Member

Check out the PB 101 page. Scroll most of the way down the page to find a section of links for vegetarians.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Hope that helps!

FairyRae2 Guest

Maybe lots of eggs and cultured milk products (yogurt, kefir, etc.--lower lactose so lower sugar I believe.) Lots of greens and veggies cooked in olive oil or butter...Would he be willing to eat fish? If I were going to do it, I'd try to get in some eggs or dairy in at each meal (for protein) along w/ lots of veggies cooked in good fats, moderate nuts, seeds and fruits in addition. Also, if he'll do fish, I'd eat it for one meal a day as well, so his meals might look like: eggs w/ veggies for breakfast, a big ass salad w/ feta and nuts for lunch, and some fish w/ a side of greens (cooked in butter/ghee) for dinner? And a coconut milk smoothie w/ some berries for a snack/dessert? (Coconut milk is oh so yummy!)

Sorry, I don't know a lot about the blood sugar stuff, but have worked w/ my (former-yay!) vegetarian mom to create a more protein rich, lower carb meal plan...Just some ideas...

Griff is offline Senior Member

I can't be a vegetarian and keep my diabetes under control. It is simply not possible for me.

That said, I think that FairyRae's suggestions have merit. For a diabetic, carbs are the main issue - all else is secondary. He should keep his intake below 20g per day for at least the first two months until his pancreas has had a chance to recover.

Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

Maba my g/f is also a ovo-lacto-vegetarian and while you could theoretically be primal and healthy, it has the following problems:

- it is very difficult to not rely on starches as the main staple of the diet

- eggs in everything becomes boring

- the extra work required to make varied dishes can be time consuming.

- being in the upper high level of carb intake makes the person stay in a constant slippery slope, so sustaining ketosis on the long term seems very difficult.

- you have to really be on top of your supplementarion.

In short, it seems doable, but it is tedious. In practical terms, it is very difficult to compete with a simple big steak and a BAS. .

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

Thank you all for your input. I forgot to add that he doesn't eat eggs either.

Sharonll is offline Senior Member

maba, I don't know much about religious vegetarianism, so hope I don't step on any toes, but I am wondering if not eating eggs is part of the Hindu vegetarian tradition? It seems that dairy is allowed, looking here: http://www.flex.com/~jai/articles/hinmeat.html

One of the points made there is especially disturbing: "The Health Reason

Medical studies prove that a vegetarian diet is easier to digest, provides a wider ranger of nutrients and imposes fewer burdens and impurities on the body. Vegetarians are less susceptible to all the major diseases that afflict contemporary humanity, and thus live longer, healthier, more productive lives. They have fewer physical complaints, less frequent visits to the doctor, fewer dental problems and smaller medical bills. Their immune system is stronger, their bodies are purer, more refined and skin more beautiful."

We know that the points made are not valid. Diabetes is a major problem now in India, partly because of overconsumption of sugar, and certainly because of rampant vegetarianism. Is there any possibility that, because of his diabetes, your father might reconsider his vegetarianism? I apologize if that question is inappropriate.

Sharonll, you're not stepping on any toes at all. It's my husband's uncle for whom I'm trying to put together a vegetarian primal diet. My dad's a meat-lover

The Vedic people, of the Indus Valley Civlization, are said to have eaten beef, among poultry and other kinds of red meat. I read somewhere that Vedic people, who subsisted on agriculture and used cows for farm work, would slaughter them for food when they had droughts. But they found themselves without cows when the rains returned. To stop this practice, some king/priest/minister put a religious spin to it and said it was against Hinduism to eat meat. Religious sanctions seem to wield more power than anything else. I also see religious vegetarian books stating "scientific facts" - like humans having the digestive systems of herbivores etc. - that seem to have been pulled out of thin air.

That said, there are many Indians who are vegetarians, not because of ethical, moral or religious reasons, but because their families have never eaten meat for generations and the very fact of eating animals is unappealing. Kind of like how eating a rodent would gross me out.

My husband used to be a vegetarian too. But I pulled him over to the dark side 2 months ago after trying for almost 5 years.

I really appreciate all of you participating in this discussion. I'll share this thread and all your suggestions with my husband.

Sharonll is offline Senior Member

Oh, sorry, I did see that it wasn't your father, and then for some reason forgot that simple fact as I was typing.

I work with a young Indian woman. She's very small and cute, pleasantly curvy, and is vegetarian. For breakfast she has a jam sandwich, sometimes oatmeal with lots of raisins. During the day she eats potato chips and candy bars. Not sure what she has for supper, but based on what she eats during the day, it's probably not too healthy. She is marrying her fiance soon, a young Indian guy already diagnosed as a diabetic. She's never asked me for any nutritional advice, so I haven't said anything, but it truly breaks my heart knowing that their diet could be so much healthier. It's really hard when it's for religious reasons, or even the generational aspect you describe.

Griff is offline Senior Member

Maba, if he won't eat eggs, he can't eat Primally... and I don't think he'll be very good at controlling his diabetes with diet, either. A vegetarian diet *promotes* diabetes, unfortunately.

Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast