Thread: Could Whey be causing my eczema flare up? page

Juliemama is offline Senior Member

Unhappy Could Whey be causing my eczema flare up?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hey, guys..I know there are some of you out there that have suffered from eczema or psoriasis in the past (or present)...hoping you can help me out.

I was COVERED in eczema since I was a little baby, it wasn't til I went Paleo that it cleared up. Poof. For good...till now, a few years later.

The ONLY thing I can attribute it to is the recent addition of a whey protein powder I have been using in the morning. When it is hot and sticky, I just do not eat "enough"...so I feel great with the extra protein, but now I have split open 2 knuckles, my inside wrists and elbow crooks are a burning, itchy mess. WTF? I have never used this brand..but I am ditching it tomorrow after using it for about 3 weeks. I usually add a tsp. of cocoa powder as well...

Any thoughts would be helpful....I haven't changed my laundry detergent, soap or anything I can think of!
    I generally avoid milk, but will eat some cheese or cream. I recently quit coffee. No major changes or stress, (kids out of school!) Nothing new as far as birth control, new environments...nothing else I can put a finger on.

Anyone have reactions to whey?
    Thanks, as always!

Paleobird Guest
    Is your whey protein isolate or concentrate?

Mark did a post a while back about this and said that the isolate kind is preferable especially if you have any adverse reactions to milk.

Thanks, Paleobird, I checked the pack and it has both. I could have sworn I have used it in the past with no problems, but it has been awhile...I *gasp* also used to use a soy protein, years ago. Maybe I am more sensitive to the whey now? (as I certainly am with wheat, a small amount immediately makes me look pregnant) I just have not had a reaction like this in so long...unless I knew for sure my Hubby used "his" detergent on the sheets by mistake or something easily remedied (or re washed). This has gotten worse..Hmmm.

Paleobird Guest
    You might also look into egg white protein powder.

LOL, I always laugh when I think of my situation as an infant,,,my Mom doing what she thought was best in the 70's...had a baby that looked like raw hamburger (her words) who was CLEARLY allergic to SOMETHING...but was fed formula...made from, yup, cow's milk. (eventually switched to soy-big step in the 70's) So this is why I am OK with not regularly consuming milk products, and why I think I should bring back the rest of my whey and get a refund.
    I have never been tested for allergies to milk, casein, lactose or wheat, for that matter, but clearly I should avoid. Never had any "digestive" issues either, (other than the hilarious bloating after eating wheat) just erupts in my skin in a fiery, itchy mess. And yeah, I nursed my kids, and they don't have these problems!

Eggs I love and seem to be fine with, I just lose my taste for them over the summer, so the egg protein might be worth a shot. Although, I was *supposed* to avoid eggs as a child, interesting now that I am NOT consuming them that I have a problem! LOL, I am partial to the yolks, though..

I may just go back to eating what I damned well feel like all summer. If its 800 kcals and 30g protein, whatever. I always get nice and lean over the summer, so who cares? I eat lots of local veg, fruit and seafood. The problem is I "evolutionarily" pig out in the fall and winter...lol..

bozi007 is offline Banned
    changle 02
    <p>Itís important that you protect you hair while straightening.Letís talk about hair care.I think its going around at this point that the environment,coloring,and heat treating can all harm hair.But itís this last detail that I want to focus on, damage from heat straightening.One of the latest hair trends is the heat protection sprays,with many flat styler companies,<a href="http://www.ghdivstraighteners.info/category/ghd-australia"><strong>Ghd Australia</strong></a> is a perfect selection.like <a href="http://www.ghdivstraighteners.info/"><strong>Climbing Jacket</strong></a> inventing their own fashional style and design feature.In addition,<a href="http://www.ghdivstraighteners.info/category/womens-asics-shoes"><strong>Womens Asics Shoes</strong></a> are also used by overpronators who tend to roll their feet during the running gait,which may weaken foot and ankle muscles and waste energy with every foot strike if the incorrect shoes are worn.</p>