Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Somebody's CAT killed and ate my chickens! page

Betho is offline Senior Member

Somebody's CAT killed and ate my chickens!

Shop Now
    I have 5 hens that free range in our yard and give me 4-5 fresh awesome eggs every day. This is ALL my fault because I've been lazy and complacent about locking them up at night. The other night I was just about to go to bed when I heard one of them scream... ran outside with the dog, the dog chased off the evil villain. Next day when it was light out we investigated... it was definitely a cat. It killed at ate one of my chickens and then killed and started on a second one. Every chicken-killing animal has it's own "profile" and this was classic cat.

I'm so mad at myself. But I'm picking up three more this weekend... I'm going to run out of eggs in the meantime.

Lesson learned. Anyway, I just wanted to gripe at my own stupidity. It's been three days now and the remaining chickens still won't go in the coop voluntarily at night, I have to go find wherever they happen to be roosting (on 3 acres) and bring them in.

Nobody kills my chickens but ME! lol

Zophie is offline Senior Member
    Oh no, I'm sorry to hear that.

Maybe set a live trap for the cat...

Mud Flinger is offline Senior Member
    I feel your pain! I lost my first flock to a raccoon (13 chickens) after having them 1& 1/2 years so I covered the coop area - and my second flock to a fox (15 chickens, with my sled dogs picking up any spares they could find) so I critter proofed the area better (now the squirels have a hard time getting in) and installed an electric fence. So far so good but I'm still waiting for the new girls (and one suprise rooster) to mature and give eggs. I also started turkey's this year and the first night I put them out in the chain link dog kennel, a racoon reached in and ripped one of their heads off (more wire and critter proofing). Cats don't live long when left out in my area - I hear coyotes "singing" on my back lot often at night. I agree that a live trap would be in order but a well fed cat is most likely enjoying the hunt and won't be tempted. I'm suprised that you don't have other critters causing you the same problem. Can you find the owner and ask for reimbursement? Suggest they keep their beloved pet in or it might just get lost? I wish you much luck - and eggs!
    Last edited by Mud Flinger; 07-14-2011 at 05:49 AM.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Reclaim the protein. Eat the cat.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    I have a confession to make...it was me! . They just looked so delicious I couldn't help it. Went in there with my raccoon buddies and had a feast. Raccoons kill a lot like cats.

I'm sorry, I will repay you, maybe.

No
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Nion is offline Senior Member
    What stabby said, Raccoons leave a trail quite like cats and hunt VERY similar. It's unusual for a cat to go after another target...usually they stick with one and go drag that off somewhere to play with. It was more likely a pair of raccoons.
    I'm a paleo foodie, come check out my recipes: http://strangekitty.ca/

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zophie View Post
    Oh no, I'm sorry to hear that.

Maybe set a live trap for the cat...
    Screw that! Crush its skull!
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    Reclaim the protein. Eat the cat.
    +1
    They sorta taste like chicken anyway.

Betho I would be very frustrated/mad if I were you. You seem to be handling this a lot better than I would.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

Dalton is offline Senior Member
    Just replace them. Eventually you'll have some badass chickens that refuse to be killed by the lowly likes of cats and coons. It's nature at work and you have to accept that.....just like it's nature at work if you kill and eat the cat. Just saying.

carlh is offline Senior Member
    If you're out in the country, there's no reason at all not to get a high powered air rifle or even a .22 and sit on your roof at night defending your flock...at this point it's definitely a while nuisance animal. No use in live trapping it, whatever it is.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast