Page 1 of 637 1231151101501 ... LastLast

Thread: The Journey begins with me page

athomeontherange is offline Senior Member

The Journey begins with me

I guess the time has come to start a journal. The journal is for accountability as well as reflection. I have had an opportunity to view a few journals and I am inspired by the challenges and goals from so many. I have seen some folks who have faced similar challenges like me and some who have goals that make me want to just watch and cheer!!

My story begins like many, overweight for most of my life. I have tried almost every diet/weightloss program out there (weight watchers, nutisystem, HCG etc). In each program I experienced initial success then ultimate frustration. A month ago I thought I’ll try Adkins. I had read some disturbing articles about carbs and how they were bad, kept you from losing etc. Well to me that made sense because trying to follow the USDA food pyramid or even the vegetarian food pyramid was doing nothing! Ha! Look what they have in common! DUH! Boy I felt dumb.

I stumbled across a FB page regarding low carb but this person also used the term Primal. I did a little more research and discovered that if I stayed with Adkins I would fail. I would fail for one reason: compromise. By compromise I mean artificial sugars and even fake food. One thing I know without a doubt, compromise = failure for me. It starts with one and then another “small” one and before I know it, I am so messed up.

The idea of Primal appeals to me because I can transfer fairly easy from Adkins and be allowed more freedom with hope-to-be-soon better results. Am I tempted with food from the past (poison)? Not as much as I thought I would be. I read on the blogs, either from Mark or another poster, that when you look at the wrong food as poison, you will not want it. How true that is!

Observations since going primal: Oh wow! I can taste! I mean I could always taste things but it seems like my taste buds are heightened. I made a pitcher of ice tea from loose leaf black tea that had pomegranate in it (no sugar or sweeteners) and it tasted good!! I could taste the fruit and it was not subtle!

What am I eating?? I will post daily meals in the future. I do track what I eat on an app for my phone. LOVE TECHNOLOGY!! I have never successfully journaled before now because I never had the notebook handy or was away from the computer etc.

Problem Area-Exercise: Ok, never liked it much. Probably because I have always been so dang FAT! In college when I was losing from Phen/Phen I started running. I was faithful every morning! Loved it! Had the schedule for it! Then… the excuses begin: got a job, had no time, was too tired etc. Hello to all the weight I loss!!

Now.. I am recovering from foot surgery (had both feet done this summer bunionectmy with toe straightening due to foot pain). I get stitches out on July 23rd I think. Until then, this heavy boot exhausts me when I walk around. I do it but, dang! The plan when I am more mobile is to use the gazelle and treadmill I invested in. I have a total gym as well but at the moment, we have a hate-hate relationship.

Current weight is 315! I will own it- I did it, I have to fix it.

Goal : is 160ish, to no longer need BP meds and to improve my Asthma and allergies.

Here I go… Advice and peals of wisdom welcome
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Welcome Karin

Read up on Primal Blueprint exercises if you haven't already. It doesn't take much: 1)Staying active. Lots of slow movement. Avoid sitting for more than an hour. 2)Resistance work. Can be body weight resistance. Mark has beginner exercises. 3)Sprints. These do not have to be running. I can't do that and maybe you can't either. They can be anything that gets you out of breath with your tongue hanging out. Maybe your Gazelle. I had to google to see what it is. If you can get up to sprint speed. 30 second sprint as fast as you can go. 90 second recovery. Repeat for a total of 8 reps.

The treadmill won't be of much use except for walking or light running on days you can't get outside. No need for running on Primal except in sprints and for play.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Thanks Hedonist!! I have read some of the blueprint exercises today and will continue to make sure I incorporate something-anything everyday. I see I can start even with the boot. I think when I can start the gazelle sprints will be easy to fit in.
    Karin

Today was another workout, walking in the boot but got a few key ingredients that will make my dishes decadent. Especially since I do not use them all that often. I got some fresh berries (I think they are laced with Gold), 2 different cans of coconut milk to taste test these next couple of weeks and some primo aged cheese (a parmesan and a apple cured Gouda) not to mention bacon etc. etc.. yum! Why would anyone want to be Vegetarian, much less Vegan is beyond me at this point. Oh wait!! I did have that year+ of insanity!

Observations since going primal: Ok, I have been officially Primal for 4 days. (I estimate 85-90%) I have a pinch in my sides. I know that sounds odd. I can't say it hurts, more like a nuisance, this nagging pinch. I am going to chalk it up to melting fat. Dare I dream?? I am however NOT going to weigh myself. (not yet)

What am I eating??
    B-
    * ½ C greek yogurt (here is a weird observation. When I used to eat the non-fat, I could easily eat 1 c. The greek is delicious but a little goes a long ways)
    * coffee with cream
    * 2 deviled eggs ( was just not feeling it with fruit today)
    L-
    5 oz of broiled Salmon (heavenly)
    ½ c cooked carrots
    ½ c cooked green beans
    S-
    ½ c greek yogurt
    D-
    Large pork steak
    1-deviled egg
    ¾ c veg medley (green beans, broc, summer squash)

Ok so according to my diary today is:
    38.65 carbs
    127.3 protein
    1690 calories (according to my weight and height the diary suggests I eat 2300 calories to lose weight- Whaaaaaaaat? No way!

Exercise: slow walking grocery shopping! With the boot all I do is slow.

Hmmmmm How did I do?
    Karin

honeybuns is offline Senior Member
    Sounds good to me, but I will caution you not to have your calories too low or your body will hang onto everything and you won't lose a bit. Had that happen to me. I was eating very small portions, ramped up my walking to ten miles a day and NOTHING CHANGED!!! I was not taking in sufficient calories for the activity level and my body hung onto everything. This was pre-primal. Now I eat when I'm hungry, don't when I'm not. Maybe I'll count calories and carbs one of these days, maybe I won't.
    The first, most important thing is to get comfortable with this way of eating.

Thanks honeybun. I am not intentionally trying to limit calories but want to make sure I am not eating like 3000/day. Wish I could workout more than I do with the boot but I am biding my time. Maybe I will step on the scale next week. Scales are scary things.
    Karin

Well I can say I was not even temped by the 2 pasta dishes I made for a meal after a memorial service. Why did I make pasta dishes?? Its leftover “old life” and oh how I hate to see it wasted and just thrown out. If I can use it, while not eating it myself I will. There is very little left needing purging for me. Now, my daughter is another story.

Observations since going primal: Full fat takes less of a portion because it is so filling and satisfying!

What am I eating??
    B:
    1 c coffee with cream
    2 deviled eggs
    3 oz pork steak

L:
    ½ c cottage cheese
    .56 oz mixed fresh berries (my 1st indulgence in a while)
    2.2 oz of fresh whole milk mozzarella (I made a caprese salad with it balsamic and fresh basil)
    1 small tomato (the first tomato from my garden)

S: Fried chicken livers (heaven!)

D: ( was not REAL hungry but did not want to wake up in the middle of the night hungry. Its happened before.)

Med. Pork steak
    1 c green beans seasoned with bacon
    carbs: 49.59
    protein 150.85 (too high?)
    calories 1704

Exercise: Ugh.. stuck at home and its 103 outside and I’m in a stupid boot. I attacked my daughter’s room for over an hour. It was lots of bending and twisting mostly from a chair and then moving the chair. Worked up a sweat! Sure hope that counts!
    Last edited by athomeontherange; 07-18-2011 at 06:01 PM.
    Karin

I am fairly tall for a woman 5’6”. Today I feel taller! It must be the skinny girl in me standing up straight.

Well.. Doc says I am in the boot until july 30th- crap!

Observations since going primal: Ate a bite of my daughters chocolate mousse- did not enjoy it like I thought I would. Hmmmmm… also, I am waiting until I feel emptiness- not eat your arm off hunger… is that right?

What am I eating??
    B:
    Coffee with cream
    4 oz hamburger patty

L: Applebees
    7 oz sirloin
    1/3 of the spinach/artichoke dip with carrots and celery (they do that!! ☺)
    ½ serving of the vegetable medley with butter

S:

D: I am such a slacker…. Maybe it’s the heat 105 today
    Cottage cheese
    Fried chicken livers
    Mixed berries

carbs:89.89
    protein: 146.02
    cal: 1746

Exercise: School supply shopping and I would say that counts as slow movement. I am still in the boot and walked for about an hour and a half at Walgreens and Walmart. That has just GOT to count!

Any ideas on workouts when one foot is basically ineffective? The heel on this boot is elevated and it makes workouts tough!
    Last edited by athomeontherange; 07-16-2011 at 06:15 PM. Reason: forgot totals an grammar
    Karin

Overcame temptation to ice cream last night by eating some refrigerator pickles I made earlier in the week. It cut the sugar craving and was refreshing at the same time!

Observations since going primal: Can it really be this easy?? Maybe I another reason I like eating this way is the lack of complications. So many “diets” are so strict about guidelines (fat issue, don’t eat carbs and protein together, only complex carbs etc.). No thanks. I love PB.

What am I eating??
    Ok.. I am recording this in a food diary and to save time- I’m not going to post unless someone is interested or I have some problems that could be related to what I am consuming. I think I got PB down- still have doubts about dairy but at this time they pose no problem for me so I am going to leave it alone.

Exercise: Did too much walking/slow moving wearing the boot yesterday. SEVERE pain at night while sleeping and am taking today easy with my foot elevated and loving an ice pack. In other words- aside from going to the store for milk for my daughter, I am on my ass today.

I think a good date to weigh in will be August 1st. This will have given me a month on PB.
    Karin

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    What was I thinking?? I have erred with my body, ugh! First I was craving beef jerky. Ok, did not make my own but bought processed jerky. Did not even think “ saturated in SALT not to mention sugar”. I think my legs and feet have turned to stumps they are so swollen! Then I think, I have been good so I might be able to have a little dried fruit (figs). Found out not me! Can stop with one or two and about put myself in a sugar-induced coma. Fell asleep promptly after eating them. Weird.

To straighten myself out and try and get rid of this excess water I am retaining (I really think I have enough pressure to affect air pressure in a plane should I choose to fly), I am going liquid for at least 2 meals tomorrow. I have some protein powder (yeah it has sucralose but that’s all I got for the moment) and I will make some smoothies and keep pushing the water. I know the heat is partly the reason but its not the whole reason.

Observations since going primal: I think that eating wheat for so many years dulls the senses (taste and smell for sure), I am slowly seeing the result of eating PB. Not a difference in my clothes (yet) but I just feel different, better! Its like that feeling you have when you are recovering from an illness and you can honestly say you feel better.

What am I eating?? I think I covered this but I am backing off bacon and such that is sodium laden until I have this under control.

Exercise: just walking what I can. I was so tempted to ride a scooter at Menards, but thought 1. What if someone needs it worse and 2. Push through it.

Saw a person eating breaded chicken on a bun today and it gave me the heebie-jeebies!
    Karin

Page 1 of 637 1231151101501 ... LastLast