Page 6 of 636 FirstFirst ... 456781656106506 ... LastLast

Thread: The Journey begins with me page 6

athomeontherange is offline Senior Member
    Ok, so doing a challenge through "the lighter side of low carb" on FB. The challenge started 9/1 and goes to 12/31. I am doing the whole30ish thing. So far so good.. except a coworkers bday is next Tuesday and she just wants a sweets day.. out to lunch?? noooo.. she wants to hit all the sweet spots. I have informed a few coworkers that sweets are out for me. Today is the first day I have had to/been asked to explain what i am doing. I was nervous, I had heard horror stories but then, I know these gals. They are like.. ooo thats too hard, I could never and one person said hey you HAVE to have carbs. I was SO PROUD OF MYSELF. My response was: I get carbs- they are in my veggies. What could she/did she say except, "oh yeah- your right." SCORE ONE FOR ME!!!

So more with the challenge: my goal is to lose 20. I am going to work hard even if my body is stubborn and my goal is also to realize its only a number. Now.. of course if I am doing the right things, everything SHOULD fall into place.. yeah, I know my body- it does not like relinquishing ANYTHING! However.. here I go!!
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

I am have been reading up on Dr. Kruse and the leptin reset. I am going to give it a go! I lose soooo stinking slow. I know some is the whole water issue with my body but I think the leptin reset will help and MAKE my body turn it loose!

Starting leptin reset Monday 9/12 and going until.... infinity at this point LOL
    Karin

DAY 1 LEPTIN RESET:

B: 50 g hamburger into 2 patties
    L: 5 oz pork steak with 1 1/2 c coleslaw (13g carbs)
    D: MEAT and a little veggie of some sort (7g carbs worth)

Did lots of walking at the fair yesterday.. can not say I am tired or fatigued, not sure how to describe it.

Lab with students involve cookies today- resisting is NOT futile!! Have not had one urge.
    Karin

Leptin reset going fine. It helps that I was at least 90% primal (more paleo) before the reset. Its nice not to dwell on your next meal and what you will eat. On the reset- food is what it is-fuel.

What I have been thinking about a lot is my daughter. She is 9. She knows how I am eating (cutting out grains, sugars, processed food in general and dairy for the most part). She has asked why and I explain I want to be healthy. Understand she is rail thin and has rock hard abs (ugh!). I have shared I would like her to eat like I do because it would be better for her now and down the road. Ok- before statements are made such as "you are the parent, she needs to eat what you make etc.". Understand my daughter has ADHD and ODD. Unless you have lived with those conditions, you know not of which you speak. Please do not tell me "if her diet were different she would not have those problems". Before the diagnoses, before the drugs, she was eating pretty close to paleo (when she would eat). So, after being told these conditions are brain related not environment I let her eat whatever (this was pre-PB for me). Well, changing what she eats is not not so easy. The girl took herself off meat for the most part (not a clue why). She will not have any part of it except once in a blue moon. She also detests eggs and getting her to eat veggies is like pulling teeth. She eats fruit on occasion but it is not a favorite.

I know I need to baby step it with her but damn I do not want a fight. How could she get to PB status if she will not eat meat, eggs, veggies or fruit? It is frustrating.

Rant over- not that anyone reads my blog anyway :P
    Karin

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    heehee, I'm reading.

My dd, who is not ADHD or ODD, decided she would not eat any kind of meat, fish, poultry, etc. then she got sick after she had eaten some eggs (I doubt it was related just a coincidence, but things don't taste the same once they come back out on you). She does, now, eat a lot of fruit, some veggies (she has gotten to love salad). People told me I needed to make her eat the meat otherwise she wouldn't have enough protein to thrive. Was I supposed to force feed her?!? Well she is in perfect shape, she is a freshman in college, a runner, brilliant, socially active, and still eats pretty much the same way only now it comes out of a cafeteria and not my kitchen. She listens to her body and for now it works for her. I don't want her to get obsessive about this like I have been all my life because some idiot doctor put me on speed when I was in 8th grade because I weighed 150 at 5'7" and was on the swim team.

What I did do, and you are not there yet, was that I made a rule that if you wanted something treat like you had to make it yourself. ie. cookies, protein bars, etc. At least it helped to control the ingredients.

Good luck!
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

thanks Chris. She is not at the make it yourself stage yet but there is a lot she can do on her own. I told her the other day, these prepackaged snack goodies are the last I am buying (I thought she was going to cry).

Ok so.. yeah I know the scale is a fickle B.. but I am in this challenge (why do I sign up for these??!!!) to lose 20 by the end of the year (Sept 1-Dec 31). So.. been on the reset for about 3 weeks.. stepped on the scale and the weight is the SAME... ugh really?? no sugar, no snacking, no grains, upping protein, 20-25 g carbs and nothing. Frustration central here! I am going to be on reset forever I think....
    Karin

Hope you are taking measurements as well, for my last weigh in I had gained a pound but lost 6 inches, 3 in my bum!

Here is what I think about the reset. It is just that a reset, when you have 'reset' you are supposed to go back to the Primal losing weight scheme. So basically adding in some movement and working on lifitng heavy things, and sprinting. I have seen from women that they generally do not lose weight on the reset.

I have decided that I will keep things like a protein rich breakfast, and no snacking between meals or after dinner, but probably add a bit more carb-extra veggies-and start moving. I am going to start taking an evening walk and my son and I are going to start work on the 5 essential movements next week (I need to finish clearing out the space).

#4 on this page tells you when you should be done with the reset...THE LEPTIN RX……….. FAQ’s | Jack Kruse I have already acheived many of them, you probably have too.

Don't get discouraged, and for me, I find it better not to put a time limit on my weight loss as it makes it feel too much like a diet, which tends to make me want to cheat to see how much I can get away with.
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

I have not taken measurements because then I doubt myself. Did I take them in EXACTLY the same place?? Was it on this freckle or that one..OCD I know..its getting worse with age I think. I get OCD about the scale too.. I have cut back on the weighing though.

On the upside.. my clothes do fit different. They are generally looser but not so loose I need the size smaller *sigh* it will come.

Somedays its like so much to loose.. its going to take soooooo much time. One day at a time though I know
    Karin

Well the way my mom got me to go back to finish college when I told her it would take forever (I had to work full time and do school part time)...well the time will pass whether or not you get the degree, do you want to look back in 6 years and say man I should have started then. So essentially I have the same thing to say to you...the time will pass whether or not you do anything to improve your health or your weight. I have found that staying off the scale has allowed me to focus more on quality of what I eat instead of calories or carbs. Less stressful.

I will tell you that I measure to where to measure. My bicep measurement is a palm width from my armpit, same with the thigh, hips are easy as they are measured essentially at the panty line, waist is easy it is my waist, chest well you have built in markers there. I once thought of tatooing an x so I could know where to measure! I measure once a month that give it time to get an actual change. If I had not measured and had only known that I gained a pound, it could very likely started a binge at the very least or quitting at the worst, even though I am not totally in it to lose weight.
    Chris
    Unknown

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by demuralist View Post
    Well the way my mom got me to go back to finish college when I told her it would take forever (I had to work full time and do school part time)...well the time will pass whether or not you get the degree, do you want to look back in 6 years and say man I should have started then. So essentially I have the same thing to say to you...the time will pass whether or not you do anything to improve your health or your weight. I have found that staying off the scale has allowed me to focus more on quality of what I eat instead of calories or carbs. Less stressful.
    True!!! I am not frustrated enough to quit, but it sure would be nice if the weight came off as fast as it came on. The scale is evil... Ugh, why did I start this challenge on FB. Never again! On the plus side: cravings about gone, sugar temptation is gone (it helps cutting the fruit), I do not get that starving feeling-hooray!!

Quote Originally Posted by demuralist View Post
    I will tell you that I measure to where to measure. My bicep measurement is a palm width from my armpit, same with the thigh, hips are easy as they are measured essentially at the panty line, waist is easy it is my waist, chest well you have built in markers there. I once thought of tatooing an x so I could know where to measure! I measure once a month that give it time to get an actual change. If I had not measured and had only known that I gained a pound, it could very likely started a binge at the very least or quitting at the worst, even though I am not totally in it to lose weight.
    LOL..LOVE THE TATOO IDEA! I need to measure. My clothes feel different (not big enough that I need a smaller size yet though) so I know the inches are coming off.
    Karin

Page 6 of 636 FirstFirst ... 456781656106506 ... LastLast