Thread: The Journey begins with me page 444

athomeontherange is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    no idea how much LBM I have...
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    Google lean body mass calculator. Put in age, weight etc. Get estimate. I usually come out at a 134, so that is my protein goal.

Does 99.81 sound right?
    Karin

another says 101 so must be about right. So about 101g protein/day?
    Karin

marcadav is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by athomeontherange View Post
    Unstable feelings this morning. I want a fast track back to weight loss... what I do not want to hear is common sense and logic (I know I will get this by my loving sistas and in truth I probably need it). How is it I have GAINED 60 pounds since I do not know when. I am almost starting completely OVER. With so much to lose I want what makes you initially drop weight fast. Where is this coming from? Well, in truth much of it is fro the pictures from the therapy weekend last week. I am more than appalled. So in short, I am feeling might fat and ugly and I DO NOT LIKE IT. In the same vein, I am feeling powerless and I hate that as well. S.P.E.E.D? VLC? who knows what all else I have tried.
    I'm sorry you're feeling so down. And, I understand how pictures can make you wonder about yourself. I hate having my picture taken.

My experience and suggestions--I had to change my focus before I found success. I gave myself permission to stay obese if I got and stayed healthy.

I spent a few months formulating and getting my head into my plan. I thought about what knew I would do and what I knew I wouldn't. I decided to focus on things I could control--my choices. I decided to let go of things I knew I had no control over-- my weight, what others thought about what I was doing, etc.

I didn't track my food. I did track my exercise. I did buy a glucose meter and foods that made by BGL go higher than I wanted were off the menu for a while. Diabetes runs rampant in my family & I was heading in that direction.

I didn't find MDA for over a year after I started my plan. I still allow some non-primal things in my life. This is because I want success not perfection and I find guilt leads me astray.

I exercise 5 days a week. I started with 5 minutes on the treadmill and increased slowly. I set exercise goals and those goals get me up and busy when I can easily find an excuse to skip it.

It will be 5 years in January since I implemented my plan. I have gotten and stayed healthy. Recent lab work supports that. It's not a been a smooth, always successful journey. I've had setbacks and those setbacks can be traced back to poor choices (under my control), needing a med change (out of my control), or both.

So, I suggest:
    1. Thinking about your "why" and I'm firm believer weight isn't a strong enough why.
    2. Take some time and figure out what you will/wont do
    3. Formulate a plan- something you can actually commit too.
    4. Find ways to measure success- things that have nothing to do with the scale.

I hope this helps.
    BTW, I am no longer obese and haven't been for 4 years now.

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    another says 101 so must be about right. So about 101g protein/day?
    Sounds right to me, so if you do 50 at breakfast that means a minimum of 25 grams at lunch and dinner. Going over is fine, just try not to be under.

Quote Originally Posted by marcadav View Post
    I'm sorry you're feeling so down. And, I understand how pictures can make you wonder about yourself. I hate having my picture taken.

My experience and suggestions--I had to change my focus before I found success. I gave myself permission to stay obese if I got and stayed healthy.

I spent a few months formulating and getting my head into my plan. I thought about what knew I would do and what I knew I wouldn't. I decided to focus on things I could control--my choices. I decided to let go of things I knew I had no control over-- my weight, what others thought about what I was doing, etc.

I didn't track my food. I did track my exercise. I did buy a glucose meter and foods that made by BGL go higher than I wanted were off the menu for a while. Diabetes runs rampant in my family & I was heading in that direction.

I didn't find MDA for over a year after I started my plan. I still allow some non-primal things in my life. This is because I want success not perfection and I find guilt leads me astray.

I exercise 5 days a week. I started with 5 minutes on the treadmill and increased slowly. I set exercise goals and those goals get me up and busy when I can easily find an excuse to skip it.

It will be 5 years in January since I implemented my plan. I have gotten and stayed healthy. Recent lab work supports that. It's not a been a smooth, always successful journey. I've had setbacks and those setbacks can be traced back to poor choices (under my control), needing a med change (out of my control), or both.

So, I suggest:
    1. Thinking about your "why" and I'm firm believer weight isn't a strong enough why.
    2. Take some time and figure out what you will/wont do
    3. Formulate a plan- something you can actually commit too.
    4. Find ways to measure success- things that have nothing to do with the scale.

I hope this helps.
    BTW, I am no longer obese and haven't been for 4 years now.
    thank you for this. Isn't it sad my first reasons are vanity?
    Karin

marcadav is online now Senior Member
    thank you for this. Isn't it sad my first reasons are vanity?
    Not sad. I just don't think it's enough to bring about long term success.

Which would explain my last of success for 20+ years. Yet, its where I am at.

Ok:
    I want my clothes looser and more comfortable. Thats my first step I guess.
    Karin

demuralist is online now Senior Member
    I really think you need to eat for your health and not your weight. For me, even more important than why, is figuring out what I am willing to do and what I can reasonably expect that I will stick with for the rest of my life...

The things that will derail me include...being in it for the looks (cause if it is a bad looks day I will eat in mass quantity), deprivation, guilt, boredom, expecting to exercise every day or even most days, complicated plans, being more worried about what I eat that in what I am doing (i.e.. skip out on social events because I am on a diet).

I think, having seen what you eat, that doing at least 100g of protein is in line with what you like to eat. I think 75g to 100g of carb allow you to have the kinds of veggies/starches you enjoy. Adding fat to satisfaction is likely the key.

But I do think you should focus more heavily on cleaning up your diet as opposed to focusing too heavily on the macros at first. I also think you should keep meticulous notes so that you can learn what it is your body wants and needs with regards to the macros. In other words, does your body work better with the morning protein the way it is obviously working for P, or are you better off with fat in the morning the way I go, or is it something in between?

The one thing you should not be focusing on in the next month to 6 weeks is the scale. Not that you shouldn't weigh daily or how ever often you feel comfortable, but you need to focus on the trend and not the number and what the trend is telling you about the program you have chosen to do.

I will also say that if you come on here everyday (after your body has had a chance to get used to it) and say you were not able to stick to your program, then it is likely that your program is at fault and not you.

p.s.you know that anything you do that will lead to a quick loss will not be good for your health and will likely result in a gain that will take you past where you are right now.