Page 285 of 617 FirstFirst ... 185235275283284285286287295335385 ... LastLast
Results 2,841 to 2,850 of 6161

Thread: The Journey begins with me page 285

athomeontherange is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I am 5'6".

Aside from not sleeping worth a darn, I was awake off and on from 1am, I feel good. I had more broth with bouillon in the evening. To be honest, that could easily replace my BP tea. I want to keep my fat at 80% or better and like my protein at about 13-15%. I wish I could fine the magic ratio so that I would lose consistently. On the way to work I wondered that if my calories were too low, would re-feeds be good then. I keep mulling over what I read from Mark and other sites. (I read too much).
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

RMS123 is online now Senior Member
    I read too much, too, Karin.

One think I'm pondering. Not a refeed so much (although maybe that's what it is), but a bit of calorie cycling. A few days around 1,000 (this would be a bit low for you) and then a few days at 1300 or 1400. It seems like consistency - regardless of the level - my body adapts. When I did WW years ago (eons, I feel like), I naturally did this, and it worked like a charm. I basically added up my points for the week and treated each week as a bank. I used every point, but usually used a big chunk over the weekend and then had a couple of really low days (especially right before the weekly weigh in, though it consistently went down, so I know I was doing something right).

so my weight for the last couple days has been up and down those 2 pounds you see in my ticker. Today its back down but showing negative with the stix.

Ruth- I think your term of cycling probably fits better than a re-feed.
    Karin

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    The reason I asked about your height, is that for the purposes of calculation, you may have chosen a HSIS weight that is too high. which would put your macros and cals too high.

For example, I am truly aiming to weigh under 175lbs at 5"10", but my HSIS for calculations is 165.

For a 5'6" woman, is between 139 and 158. The mid point of that is 148 lbs. 148lbs=67kg
    67 protein
    34 carbs
    134 fat
    1610 cals

In which case eating 1400 to 1500 would be fine because it is only 10-15% below your goal. But be aware that Your BMR is around 1900. (If you believe in that stuff.)

RMS123 is online now Senior Member
    Even though I "knew" this, it makes sense why I need around 1100-1200 calories to consistently drop weight. Thanks P.

Quote Originally Posted by Pebbles67 View Post
    The reason I asked about your height, is that for the purposes of calculation, you may have chosen a HSIS weight that is too high. which would put your macros and cals too high.

For example, I am truly aiming to weigh under 175lbs at 5"10", but my HSIS for calculations is 165.

For a 5'6" woman, is between 139 and 158. The mid point of that is 148 lbs. 148lbs=67kg
    67 protein
    34 carbs
    134 fat
    1610 cals

In which case eating 1400 to 1500 would be fine because it is only 10-15% below your goal. But be aware that Your BMR is around 1900. (If you believe in that stuff.)
    Ok.. just to clarify what you are saying, I need about 1600 calories but if I stick to 1400-1500 I should lose? I am trying to wrap my brain around this because it seems when I eat 1500-1600 (not sure about 1400) I gain or maintain.

If..no WHEN I plateau, do I just keep keeping on and push through it? I adjusted lower thinking I would start losing again.

ps.. LOL I would be happy with 160-170 as my HSIS weight! LOL
    Karin

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    Funny you all talking about the calorie cycling. When I talked to my doc on Monday she said she had just been to a lecture with a Doc from Harvard who had done a study that showed that the patients who did some sort of calorie cycling exactly as Ruth describes do best both sort term and long term. So you take your "allowed" calories (or whatever) for the day, multiply by 7, then know that that is your weekly total. So if you have a few days that are low as long as you have a high day to bring you back to the weekly total it is all good. And if you kept your ratios in check, not allowing your carbs and protein to go too high, I bet it would be totally successful!

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    How long have you been seeing the plateau-gain from 1600 calories? You seemed to lose great in the first month on your original macros.

I was just looking at lower HSIS macros because I noticed that your kg goal was close to mine even though I have several inches on you. I also was trying to encourage you not to go as low as 1200-1300cals. I would say 1500 should be your minimum.

Honestly, My advice is always eat more, not less. What if this slow down in weight loss is your body's reaction to a) losing so much in the first month or 2) a metabolic slow down due to your body burning 2300 cals (BMR x1.2 for sedentary) and you only feeding it 1200-1300 cals. What does the fitbit say you burn?

Maybe have some cycle up days where you try to eat to your BMR (1900) and others where you go down to a lower goal. I have my BMR set as my base calories and try to eat at least that every day.

Just my 2 cents based on my n=1 that may not work for everyone.

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    that is a good point Paula. My BMR is 1850 (that is the base with no multiplier for any activity). I tend to eat between 1400 and 1600 calories. This has, up to now, not at all been successful. So I am thinking I need to throw in a couple of higher calorie days and see what happens, keeping my net carbs below 15 and my protein below 70. Today is likely to be a high day.

I tend to eat on the low end because in the past (and probably still) I tend to underestimate things like how much HWC I put in my tea at lunch. It is actually very likely 3 to 4 tablespoons as opposed to the 1. (I just went and changed it!). HWC is likely my biggest culprit, as I tend to put it in my tea most of the time and don't always record it, although at home I do usually weigh it out to 1T, but I may do as many as 3 or 4 in a night. So, in my mind, by eating on the low side I am compensating for inaccurate tracking.

Quote Originally Posted by Pebbles67 View Post
    How long have you been seeing the plateau-gain from 1600 calories? You seemed to lose great in the first month on your original macros.

I was just looking at lower HSIS macros because I noticed that your kg goal was close to mine even though I have several inches on you. I also was trying to encourage you not to go as low as 1200-1300cals. I would say 1500 should be your minimum.

Honestly, My advice is always eat more, not less. What if this slow down in weight loss is your body's reaction to a) losing so much in the first month or 2) a metabolic slow down due to your body burning 2300 cals (BMR x1.2 for sedentary) and you only feeding it 1200-1300 cals. What does the fitbit say you burn?

Maybe have some cycle up days where you try to eat to your BMR (1900) and others where you go down to a lower goal. I have my BMR set as my base calories and try to eat at least that every day.

Just my 2 cents based on my n=1 that may not work for everyone.

I did lose great the first month. For the last 2 weeks its been zip. I was hoping to get back to that losing streak again but you are probably right in that my body might be catching up.

I have to admit, I have not been wearing the fitbit. It has been the last thing on my mind. :/

Quote Originally Posted by demuralist View Post
    that is a good point Paula. My BMR is 1850 (that is the base with no multiplier for any activity). I tend to eat between 1400 and 1600 calories. This has, up to now, not at all been successful. So I am thinking I need to throw in a couple of higher calorie days and see what happens, keeping my net carbs below 15 and my protein below 70. Today is likely to be a high day.

I tend to eat on the low end because in the past (and probably still) I tend to underestimate things like how much HWC I put in my tea at lunch. It is actually very likely 3 to 4 tablespoons as opposed to the 1. (I just went and changed it!). HWC is likely my biggest culprit, as I tend to put it in my tea most of the time and don't always record it, although at home I do usually weigh it out to 1T, but I may do as many as 3 or 4 in a night. So, in my mind, by eating on the low side I am compensating for inaccurate tracking.
    so you and Paula are saying about the same thing. Take the total number of calories allotted and break it up.

I am on occasion OCD about this.. how many higher days to lower should I start with? I know our bodies do not have rules like this and I know I am not the only one frustrated..
    Karin