Page 221 of 542 FirstFirst ... 121171211219220221222223231271321 ... LastLast
Results 2,201 to 2,210 of 5414

Thread: The Journey begins with me page 221

athomeontherange is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Hanging on until January.. its hard when you can not afford to shop for fresh veggies and such..waiting until January 15th..
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    Hang in there lady. Is there anything we can do? My boys would love to Secret Santa your daughter. They never get to buy for girls.
    Paula Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Paula- that is such a sweet gesture but I think she will be fine for Christmas. The good news is I plan early (throughout the year actually). **hugs to you and your boys**

So this is my check in..as I eat a hershey kiss (yup, I did). Still mega stressed out as well as exhausted. Have I ever mentioned my dislike for the holidays? Anywho..I have been researching this whole menopause thing.. everything I read is " your body shape will change, learn to love yourself and the changes blah flippin blah). Yeah, so it all says weight gain is inevitable. It also says that HRT does not keep the weight off or necessarily cause gain either so I am like, I ain't taking them. No flashing or night sweats but I get the occasional headache, muscle aches and sleep issues. Hormones wont help much there from what I read anyway. So while I am eating some sugar and grain, for the most part its meat. My veggie count is seriously low and I do not know whats worse. That or just not caring at this point. I have been on the run for the past few days. Hopefully it will slow down a bit as school is winding down. Tomorrow is the last day with kids and I go for a few hours on Friday.

Chris- FYI.. I am SO MAKING that olive cream cheese doo dah.. and stuffing my face with it and celery asap. By the way, I have been craving cream cheese isn't that wild?
    Karin

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    Honestly you might consider jumping onto our bandwagon. Very low veggie, high fat, moderate protein, work your way down to VLC.

the cream cheese doo dah, was amazing!!!!!
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 5:2 (a 4:3) fast diet with real food.

RMS123 is online now Senior Member
    We're here for ya. I do second Chris's suggestion, though. Okay, I'm only on Day 2, but I feel so much better. If nothing else, it's an easier way to navigate through the holidays!
    -- Ruth

ok I "thought" I was following what everyone was doing but as I read the above comments a big huh comes out. Low veggie I like (tough to get those suckers in). Can I get a summation of it?
    Karin

marcadav is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by athomeontherange View Post
    Paula- that is such a sweet gesture but I think she will be fine for Christmas. The good news is I plan early (throughout the year actually). **hugs to you and your boys**

So this is my check in..as I eat a hershey kiss (yup, I did). Still mega stressed out as well as exhausted. Have I ever mentioned my dislike for the holidays? Anywho..I have been researching this whole menopause thing.. everything I read is " your body shape will change, learn to love yourself and the changes blah flippin blah). Yeah, so it all says weight gain is inevitable. It also says that HRT does not keep the weight off or necessarily cause gain either so I am like, I ain't taking them. No flashing or night sweats but I get the occasional headache, muscle aches and sleep issues. Hormones wont help much there from what I read anyway. So while I am eating some sugar and grain, for the most part its meat. My veggie count is seriously low and I do not know whats worse. That or just not caring at this point. I have been on the run for the past few days. Hopefully it will slow down a bit as school is winding down. Tomorrow is the last day with kids and I go for a few hours on Friday.

Chris- FYI.. I am SO MAKING that olive cream cheese doo dah.. and stuffing my face with it and celery asap. By the way, I have been craving cream cheese isn't that wild?
    Karin,
    HRT is a personal choice. I am just providing information that helped me.

I don't recall how old you are or if you had a total hysterectomy, but Dr Elizabeth Lee Vliet in her book, Screaming To Be Heard, states:
    "If you've had a hysterectomy with removal of the ovaries, then it is even more crucial that you have adequate hormone replacement. The younger you are when you have the uterus and ovaries removed, the more important it is to be sure you are on the proper replacement hormone amount. In this situation, it truly is replacement therapy because your own ovaries were prematurely removed."

My own experience, having started HRT around age 44, while still having periods with undetectable estradiol levels, is that it helped my muscle/joint pain, severe insomnia, and brain fog. I had developed osteopenia and after HRT my bone density greatly improved and is now stellar.

I've only had a few hot flashes but did, and still do, have night sweats. The night sweat are worse if I eat sugar/grains/crap.

I found Dr. Vleit's book, Women, Weight and Hormones, to be very educational, enlightening and helpful.
    Women, Weight and Hormones: A Weight-Loss Plan for Women Over 35: Elizabeth Lee Vliet: 9780871319326: Amazon.com: Books

She also has a website: Welcome to Dr. Vliet's Home Page

RMS123 is online now Senior Member
    If someone doesn't beat me to it, I'll get you a summary later (on my iPad now...hard to type much!).
    -- Ruth

Quote Originally Posted by marcadav View Post
    Karin,
    HRT is a personal choice. I am just providing information that helped me.

I don't recall how old you are or if you had a total hysterectomy, but Dr Elizabeth Lee Vliet in her book, Screaming To Be Heard, states:
    "If you've had a hysterectomy with removal of the ovaries, then it is even more crucial that you have adequate hormone replacement. The younger you are when you have the uterus and ovaries removed, the more important it is to be sure you are on the proper replacement hormone amount. In this situation, it truly is replacement therapy because your own ovaries were prematurely removed."

My own experience, having started HRT around age 44, while still having periods with undetectable estradiol levels, is that it helped my muscle/joint pain, severe insomnia, and brain fog. I had developed osteopenia and after HRT my bone density greatly improved and is now stellar.

I've only had a few hot flashes but did, and still do, have night sweats. The night sweat are worse if I eat sugar/grains/crap.

I found Dr. Vleit's book, Women, Weight and Hormones, to be very educational, enlightening and helpful.
    Women, Weight and Hormones: A Weight-Loss Plan for Women Over 35: Elizabeth Lee Vliet: 9780871319326: Amazon.com: Books

She also has a website: Welcome to Dr. Vliet's Home Page
    I am 42 and they took the ovaries, uterus and the cervix. They had me on a low level estrogen but I am like do I really need this? I will check out the sources you provided. I think I also need my meds checked as in upped or changed as I am not sure prozac is doing it for me. Oh and they told me I need to take calcium so I am.
    Karin

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    Hey this is a quote I took from Paula's thread that she found on Paleobird's

This is from Paleobird's "Eat Moar Fat" thread...

"I ran across an interesting formula for figuring your ratios from the work of Dr Jan Kwasniewski author of The Optimal Diet.
    First you figure up your IDEAL weight in KILOS. This is not necessarily the weight you are aiming for but it it your Ultimate HSIS (Hot Stuff In Swimwear) weight.
    HSIS weight in kilos plus/minus 10% = range for protein grams/day
    HSIS weight in kilos divided by 2 = upper end for carb grams/day
    The rest of your diet is fat. HSIS weight in kilos x anywhere from 2 to 3.5 depending on your weight goals (lower to lose, higher to gain)

So, at my height and HSIS weight this come out to about 1500 calories if I use the low end of the fat range and that is sometimes hard to get enough to make that. I wouldn't want to do it any higher.

Also, read the blog of Dr Peter Attia for more information on nutritional ketosis. "

So this is mine...HSIS weight is 72kg (I actually look great at 160!)
    That makes my protein range 65g to 79g
    My carb upper end 36g
    And my fat would be 144g at the low end and well no need to figure out the high end!
    That brings my calories to between 1700 and 1750.
    this seems totally doable!

For ease of remembering I am going 70g protein, half that in carbs=35g, double that in fat 140g and for now not stressing about calories, although theoretically this would make them work out right?
    Last edited by demuralist; 12-19-2012 at 01:43 PM. Reason: spelling duh
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 5:2 (a 4:3) fast diet with real food.