Page 216 of 624 FirstFirst ... 116166206214215216217218226266316 ... LastLast
Results 2,151 to 2,160 of 6239

Thread: The Journey begins with me page 216

RMS123 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I don't think you have to eat salads to hit your goals. Lots of veggies, yes, but not necessarily salads...
    -- Ruth

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    OMG, I cannot image not wanting salads! I could literally live on them, well one of mine, I have had many less than stellar ones! Last night I roasted cauliflower for the boys...tossed a bag of frozen in a tablespoon of oil with seasoning sprinkled on it, then roast at high temp (425) for 20 minutes or so until the edges start to turn dark brown. These taste like candy I tell ya!

Also, while I am starting my newish plan, I noticed that white meat turkey is incredibly low calorie, fyi
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day

athomeontherange is online now Senior Member
    Busy weekend: DD had a friend spend the night, she then went to play at her house the next day for 2 hours, we came home for a short time before being talked into going to Augusta Ford because a flyer said we won and we matched the scratch. Ok.. we won a losing lottery ticket. We then went to a Christmas light parade (dd had a date and us mothers are the drivers), Christmas cards done and outside decorations done.

This week: Hoping I get my car back from the shop before the end of the week. The rental is o.k. but I like my car. My momside swiped it during thanksgiving and so repairville for me.

I also had a heart to hear with my mom and I shared that WTF I can just not seem to get at that 1200 calories. I did once and I was hungry. I have been hitting 1500-1600 calories. Here is what she said: I am 4 inches taller than my mom and SHE should be 1200-1500 calories and I should be 1500--1800 calories. This is going back to the whole if a woman wants to weight 120 she should eat 1200 calories mantra. For me, I would be thrilled to just weigh less than 200 pounds.

I have been reading your journals Chris and Paula about analyzing the fat business. I agree. I have been overweight since I was 10 and have been on diets since then. I really lost on the OLD OLD WW in the 80's. I have spent so much money trying this program and that program including HCG and Nutrisystem (with that I did not have a blood pressure problem before starting thankyouverymuch). I am not happy being judged for my size. My size even now is so subjective as I do not know what is true weight and what is still swelly belly from surgery. I have to learn to live and love myself no matter the size but its easier said than done. I also know I am the girl who hates exercise and tolerates veggies. I want a simple program. To me, primal/paleo is not as simple as it sounds or I would have lost a ton of weight by now. I am even happy with a eat this-not that program so long as its real food. I get so confused by the eat fat, watch fat, calories count, calories don't count, no carbs, low carbs.. etc. etc. The truth is grains are fairly low in calories and are filling. Protein is high in calories except fish and perhaps turkey.

Talk me off the ledge....
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

For me, I've gotten to the point where it's about nutrition, health, and sustainability. I don't care if it's Paleo, Primal, real foods, Atkins, or what, so long as it meets these points. Some things might be "easier" for me, because I'm gluten and dairy intolerant. But, at the end of the day, I'm trying to ignore labels and think about the most nutrient-dense food, at least most of the time (food should still be enjoyed...like the occasional chocolate or pumpkin pie. To me, most grains are lacking nutrients...things you find in meat and veggies (again, I ignore dairy because I can't eat it...I'm on the fence about where I'd be if I could eat it).

I wasn't a person who ate or liked veggies. I grew up eating about 3 of them (corn and peas being 2) out of a can. It's taken me a lot of time, and exploring different preparations, to get to where I like them. Now, I load up on them...really helps with the bulk. I eat all kinds, including the higher-carb ones.

If you can't countenance veggies (and, for all of the good nutrition they provide, I do encourage you to keep trying...hiding them at first if you have to!), then I think the next things I'd contemplate are a bit of dairy (cottage cheese, greek yogurt, the like) and beans. Most other grains have so few nutrients, unless it's added back in, that I don't think you're getting your bang for the buck.

Of course, this from the girl who still has 30 pounds to go and may never get there At this point, I think my problem is that I still eat too much. I'm not counting calories, but not eating slow enough or stopping soon enough. I feel better than I ever have in my life (if I could manage my stressful job better), and I think it's the result of not eating junk, and eating food that fuels my body.

Just my 2 cents. Here to support and encourage you, no matter what path you decide to follow!
    -- Ruth

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    I understand the confusion. I have tried every incarnation of Primal, but my body, like a flu strain, seems to adapt. I am now trying to stop the bingeing which for me means cutting out all trigger foods. I cannot afford to gain anymore and endanger my life.

I have not reported this in my journal yet, but I am going for deep nutritional ketosis. My current macros are 75-80%f,15-20%p, and 5% c. I am keeping my calories between 1500 and 1900. That comes to about 140g fat, 70g protein and no more than 34g carb before fiber.

This is the plan that Paleobird and others follow from the Eat Moar Fat thread. Her conjecture is that it is both high fat and controlled calories. I am currently suffering viciously from carb flu. I can't use my bouillon cubes anymore a la Atkins because Jenn showed me how awful they are. So I am drinking salted water.

I am eating and drinking mostly fat until dinner. Bulletproof coffee, macadamias, high fat cheeses, pork rinds, coconut milk. I am strict Paleo (w30) except for high fat dairy. No sweeteners at all.

I hope you settle on something too. I agree with your Mom. The Doc is nuts.
    Paula Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

I am afraid I concur on the calories being too low, you know you have done it before, and even if by some miracle it worked this time you wouldn't be able to keep it up and enjoy life. But we all know that the body adapts to forced starvation mode.

Have you looked at the Ketogenic Mediterranean Diet? Really sounds like, given the kinds of foods you like, it might be something you would enjoy. http://advancedmediterraneandiet.com...ersion_2.3.pdf

I saw Dr. Attia do an interview last night, and I think he hit the nail on the head. He thinks that in the end we will find out that for some people it is a high carb diet that is most effective, for some it is high fat, and for some it is high protein. and that is why we can go around this board and hear things about how the fat is just melting off, and you can go to another board and hear the same thing.

For me, it is now about my health. I am 54, I don't have time to eat stupid things just to be smaller. I need to be healthy. So I am doing what I feel like is as healthy as I can be right now (we all know I tend to move towards things a bit at a time) and that I know I can sustain for life.

I am doing the KMD but the next level up, as I eat more veggies, cause that is what I like and they fill me up. My macros were 52%fat, 36%protein, 12% carb which was 2280 calories, 126g fat, 196g of protein, 67g of carb, 29g of fiber. It is a tad higher than I have been, Sunday ya know, but the percentages are pretty much the same.

I am not exercising right now. My treadmill will not start PITA, but DS and I will start the eccentric exercises tomorrow-he has to do them for 4 months as a school project and write a paper, so we will do them together.

You know you can't give up, that is just not an option. You just have to figure out the best combo for you to feel great. Once you start feeling great, you will sleep better, and have the energy you need to get some movement in. Don't stress on that yet. Get to feeling great.

We are here for you. And for heavens sake, keep up your journal, we can't help/prod you if we don't know what is going on!

p.s. hey Paula, in that KMD link it has suggested supplements which may avert the carb flu, may be worth a peak?
    Last edited by demuralist; 12-03-2012 at 01:29 PM.
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day

So yesterday felt like I was in limbo.. I ate.. just what I wanted.

I am looking at the KMD. If I understand this right I just need to eat up to 14oz of veggies a day. Thats like a little less than 2 cups. This I can do as I look at the list and its not just salad. I mean I like stuff that goes IN a salad but usually alone so basically a deconstructed salad minus the lettuce as well as cooked veggies. LOL The KMD looks very primal as well. Let me see if I understand though.. no fruit? I do not find them on the list.

So looking at this I do not weigh any foods? No counting? Just eat good food?

Does thinner mean healthy? It does to my doctor. However, I have been on a weight loss track forever and am still going in circles. I am 42 and do not want to live my life counting every calorie or saying no, I can not have this or that because...

PS.. journaling on the weekend is hard.. no internet most of the time
    Karin

I do not think there is any fruit.......but, I did note that if you don't have the wine, you can have daily dark chocolate..... I think you eat until satisfied, but not stuffed.

I do not necessarily think thinner means healthier, although there is probably a continuum. I know at my my heaviest, I was having a lot of issues...but were they caused by the excess weight or the junk I was eating and other poor lifestyle choices? Who knows.
    -- Ruth

I do not mind the wine. In fact, I could probably control that better than the chocolate. I do not see squash or pumpkin on the list. I also did not see artificial sweeteners addressed.
    Karin

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    The KMD is sort of a healthy equivalent to the Atkins induction phase. It is not meant for life. I think he expects you to be on it, strictly, up to 12 weeks, then you slowly start adding things back in one at a time to see what agrees with you.

It is meant to be very low carb, so no fruit, or pumpkin. Zucchini, yellow squash, or spaghetti squash (ie the lower carb ones) would be fine.

I don't think he has a problem with artificial sweeteners.

here is a link to the next step...http://advancedmediterraneandiet.com...ree_online.pdf

and just for good measure here is a link to his blog...Diabetic Mediterranean Diet | Conquer Diabetes and Prediabetes With Low-Carb Eating

He went on the diet himself and blogged about his experience, you should be able to find it on that blog link. I do think that it may be worth a try for you given your preferences.
    Chris
    Unknown