Thread: The Journey begins with me page 209

athomeontherange is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I can have 35 calories and still hungry...drinking tea
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    Sounds as if you are making a good effort.
    Paula Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Ok so I met the calories (1180) and it proves I can do this but man, toward the evening it was like I was at war with myself. Conscious eating, we talk about making informed food choices etc. I think until you journal it, (unless you have calories memorized) you are in for a rude awakening. Here is the breakdown for yesterday:

Calorie Breakdown:
    Carbohydrate (22%)
    Fat (39%)
    Protein (39%)

Yesterday dd and I put up mom's tree. We may tackle our own today or we may just enjoy another lazy day.
    Karin

RMS123 is offline Senior Member
    I vote for enjoying another lazy day

Karin - if you think I'm being too nosy, just tell me to butt out - I don't think you eat enough. I eat between 1200-1400 calories per day and I'm not usually hungry...If I ate as little as you do, I'd be hungry too. I think the difference is in those darned veggies!!! [And, yeah, while I don't think one needs to journal for life, I think it can be a really useful tool!]

Are you crafting anything fun? I think I'm going to make homemade body scrubs, etc. for Christmas gifts.
    -- Ruth

Ruth,

I always value your thoughts and opinions. The 1200 was set by the doctor. I am wondering if some of the hunger is just an a body adjustment. I am "used" to WAY MORE of everything. Yesterday I had quite a few fruits and veggies. More veggies than fruit. I think and wonder if it will take a few days for the adjustment. One thing to remember too is you move way more than me so you would need more calories. I am in the experiment mode (damn doctor). I may need more calories but I am going to wait and see for the time being.

As for craftiness... yes I am. I have my Christmas cards made and tags made for the homemade potpourri I made for the folks I work with and Lily's teachers. I used my dehydrator to dry oranges, lemons, limes and apples (I need to dehydrate more I think). I will add cinnamon sticks and cloves to the jars (I am also dehydrating cranberries as an experiment because a little red would be a lovely color). I am using jelly size jars. The instructions are to put contents in a pan on a back burner on low or a crockpot. It can be reused all reason. I am also making little treats for some of the neighbors. I got cheap whisks I will fill with hershey kisses and a tag that reads we whisk you a Merry Christmas. I have also started the invitations for our annual New Years celebration. I think my mom wants me to make her some tags for her gifts as well.

Its going to be a tight Christmas (dang surgery). Besides some homemade gifts I took advantage of a Harry and David special for my friend and her two daughters instead of spending $20 or so on each gift. I think Chris pointed me towards the website of saving on a dime or something. Anyway, she had great suggestions like what I am doing. Good thing I had Lily's gifts bought before August.

Oh, and I am gathering recipes from pintrest for Christmas. I want to break the mold and try new things this year.

Who else is being crafty for the holidays?

PS. i am playing with scrubs. I made some body scrubs using my essential oils and an awesome kitchen hand scrub with salt and that pink dawn with olay stuff in it. That is AWESOME! In a pinch I might make some of this for gifts as well.
    Karin

RMS123 is offline Senior Member
    I'm also going to try and dehydrate cranberries as well - but I was thinking of a "baked oatmeal" made with cauliflower rice (we shall see - this make take a few tries to get right...if it works at all!!!). I also bought the stuff for the pink dawn scrub -- I thought with some little lotions this would be a small gift.

I ordered some bay rum essential oil off the internet. I'm going to try and make DH some manly body scrub and maybe some aftershave. I love the spicy smell...

Hang in there with the 1200 calories. You'll find your groove. And if you need ideas, let me know, I track off and on
    -- Ruth

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    here is a link to a hot breakfast "oatmeal" but it doesn't have any veggies or fruit, just a replacement for grain really, might be a good place to start (you could add the cauliflower rice to it maybe?)...That Bed Was Fantastic Carrie Brown | Marmalade and Mileposts

I have been gathering a goody box for my parents, whey powder (zNatural) & gelatin (Great Lakes) for my dad to hopefully speed healing, and the stuff my mom likes for her face but can't spend the money on. Other than that, Dh decided to splurge and get us each an iPhone 5 for Christmas (our old phones were 5 years old!) so no presents for the kids and he and I never exchange gifts. My kids don't do teacher gifts, and the coaches get a big gift at the end of the year. The only neighbor we exchanged with passed away a few months ago, so I am done Christmas shopping! I am putting my pinterest pins to use in decorating the house though!
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 5:2 -2 day fast diet with real food every day

I give my daughters a little gift because well, my kid tends to require more it seems at times. As for the neighbors, they are mostly the familys that Lily plays with. Sweet kids and parents I appreciate. Plus, she gets to put them together as part of her advent so its kind of a service things too. Her advent calendar this year is more activity/service based as opposed to candy and little gifts everyday. I have ornaments for her to make for the shut-ins in town as well. We will make on one day, deliver on another. The message?? Christmas is not about getting gifts. I am actually proud of the calendar this year.
    Karin

Mud Flinger is offline Senior Member
    I love your advent idea. I am trying something similar with my kids this year. Last year I tried the small gift at dinner each night thing, but it got really expensive because I didn't give candy. I ended up spending hundreds of dollars by the end and still had Christmas on top. This year I've been looking at crafts on pinterest and planning family fun like going to the zoo lights and dinners with friends. I use lots of canning jars (8 cases of apple sauce anyone?) so am making the snow man head mason jar thing from pinterest. I love that I can do the lighting wiht either electric or a candle or use it to give goodies in.

Quote Originally Posted by RMS123 View Post
    I'm also going to try and dehydrate cranberries as well - but I was thinking of a "baked oatmeal" made with cauliflower rice (we shall see - this make take a few tries to get right...if it works at all!!!). I also bought the stuff for the pink dawn scrub -- I thought with some little lotions this would be a small gift.

I ordered some bay rum essential oil off the internet. I'm going to try and make DH some manly body scrub and maybe some aftershave. I love the spicy smell...

Hang in there with the 1200 calories. You'll find your groove. And if you need ideas, let me know, I track off and on
    I made a basil orange scrub that smells SO GOOD!!
    Karin