Page 207 of 625 FirstFirst ... 107157197205206207208209217257307 ... LastLast
Results 2,061 to 2,070 of 6245

Thread: The Journey begins with me page 207

athomeontherange is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I am going to look for that video. You have some great ideas here. One thing Doc said was not to drink my calories. I have heard that before. He says your body consumes them too quickly and you do not feel full for as long as eating an apple or so. I do the smoothies as a connivence when I am in a time crunch. I did pick up some egg whites (that will help with the calories) especially when I make my mini pumpkin pies etc. I think supplementing with fluids will help. Speaking of...

when I was a kid, my mom used to make a "Russian Tea" mix. It used instant ice tea, tang, ground cinnamon and ground cloves. SF tang is just ucky..so I do not make the instant version. HOWEVER, I made a pot of the most fantastic Russian tea. 3 decaf bags (can use green tea bags too, I have them in decaf), 1/2 envelope of orange kool-aid, a cinnamon stick and 5-6 whole cloves. Put it all in a tea pot, pour in boiling water and I sweeten by the mug. Its also awesome iced! I have always been a sucker for orange spice tea and this one rocks it!!!

Having a lazy day today... I did one black friday deal online and am done LOL!!!
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    I agree with the liquid calorie idea to a degree. Where it concerns juice or juiced things where you have taken out the part of the nutrients that help make you feel full (ie. the fiber). But in the case of a smoothie, I honestly don't see how it is any different than cooking it as far as how quickly your body consumes the calories and nutrients. And for me the liquid does make me feel full, of course my smoothie ends up being the full blender container, and 48 oz of anything even water is going to make you feel full. And the ingredients in my smoothie ensure I stay full for at least 4 hours. Plus many of the same people who tell you that you won't feel full if you drink your calories are the same people who will tell you to drink a glass of water before a meal so you will feel full.

But smoothies are definitely a personal preference type of thing, and since I know I won't eat breakfast, they are a fantastic way for me to get my protein and veggies in in the morning. The hubs and the kids think I am crazy though.

The egg whites will help you with the calorie/protein ratio, excellent start! I think you are just going to have to not use any extras (ie mayo, salad dressing, oils, full fat dairy, etc) and use the highest protein with the lowest calories (ie. the old stand bys...tuna, chicken, turkey, egg whites, etc)

I am more of a chai spice tea kind of girl, but that does sound really good! I actually found a high quality orange flavoring I could add a drop or two to my chai spice and get a similar effect. Yummy!
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day

Agreed with the fluids thing. Go figure.. I need to start drinking a cup of tea before eating, I think that will help.

Its a good thing I have tuna and salmon stocked up. Feeling sad about the mayo though, I do love it so!!

As for the Russian Tea.. I have some orange flavoring. I had not thought of that. It would save the orange coloring. I also have quality orange oil.. wonder if that will work as well?
    Karin

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    probably if it stays hot.

yeah the canned can be tough without mayo, and my substitution would be avocado which doesn't save any calories really but it does add nutrition.
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day

I like dill relish in my tuna salad but always have a little mayo with it. I may need to play and get creative perhaps a dijon? I can do avocado but will have to watch portions. I plan on doing soups too. Mom is sending home the turkey with me to make turkey vegetable soup. Not sure how to figure calories for that one though. The broth is negligible its the meat and veggies thats hard to account for in a bowl. Perhaps I am over-thinking this.
    Karin

RMS123 is offline Senior Member
    1200 calories is rough...but you CAN do it.

To get to that level, I have to load up on the veggies (Chris covered my favorites). I eat one or two starchier ones (parsnips, butternut squash), but really try to load up on the lower calorie ones - spinach (I eat a ton of this), kale (baby kale is less bitter and easier for the family to tolerate), mushrooms, cauliflower, broccoli, cucumbers, zucchini, etc.

I've also been sneaking them into food. I make these great "chocolate fudge" pancakes that are pumpkin, eggs (you could probably to egg white), spinach (seriously, you don't know it's in there), unsweetened cocoa powder, and (for the family) a few drops of stevia. Protein and veggies all in one, and I feel like I'm having a decadent breakfast.

I like mayo too (Lemonaise!!!!), but know I can't eat much of it and still see results. I've been thinning it out with green chili. I still get the flavor, but it seems to cover more surface area. I'm thinking about mixing mayo, pumpkin or mashed cauliflower, and green chili to see if I can keep a thicker sauce, but lower the overall calorie/fat intake.

As far as soup - I put in the entire recipe into fitday (or whatever), then divide up the servings to get an average calorie count (well, when I was counting calories). It's probably plus or minus, but if I'm eating most of it, I figure it all averages out.
    -- Ruth

I will have to try the chocolate fudge pancakes, they sound good and seem like they will fit the bill for low calorie as well with all the benefits I need. Veggies veggies veggies.. I need to get creative with them I guess. I know I need to eat BAS more. Lemonaise?? What is that? Last week I was thinning the mayo with dill juice to stretch it farther..LOL
    Karin

Oh, yeah, the water helps a lot. I take a drink between each bite of food. Slows me down

Do you like hummus? Saw a good recipe for cauliflower "hummus". Might have go a little light on the tahini, but if you dip it in veggies, it's a 2 for 1 veggies snack (just add a little protein with it).

Lemonaise -- you have to check it out. To die for. Q&B Foods Inc. - The Ojai Cook Lemonaise [don't get the light - it's full of sugar.] You could probably figure out how to make it at home...I've just never bothered.
    -- Ruth

I like hummus.. or at least I did. I have kind of lost of the taste for it. Cauliflower hummus sounds interesting though. Not a fan of tahini, but I know its useful. I wonder how it can be made without so I could cut the fat which would cut the calories.

Well, I tried the orange flavoring (it was an extract) instead the the koolaid. It was not the same. Not orangey enough.
    Karin

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Karin, a few recipes for you

Can't remember if you are doing diary or not. You might like these: Guilt-Free Pizza Bites (Cauliflower Pizza Bites) | Amy Layne Paradigm Blog

Here's the cauliflower hummus recipe: MmmMonday: Practical Paleo Review and Cauliflower Hummus | Joyful Abode (may be too much oil...not sure how the calories come out)

With some ranch seasoning, these might be good (let me know if you try them!!!): Vittles and Bits: Baked Zucchini Chips
    -- Ruth