Page 194 of 637 FirstFirst ... 94144184192193194195196204244294 ... LastLast
Results 1,931 to 1,940 of 6361

Thread: The Journey begins with me page 194

RMS123 is offline Senior Member
    Karin - hope the recovery is going well!!!!
    -- Ruth

athomeontherange is offline Senior Member
    I have been away so long.. I feel like a newbie again. So, its been what, about 3 weeks post op?
    The good:
    -incisions are pretty well healed
    -less pain than before
    -everything was benign and the hysterectomy took care of the endometriosis I did not know I had.. no friggin wonder.
    -no more percoset just the 600 Ibuprofen

the concerns:
    -sleep is elusive and 3:30am is my nemesis. I am taking melatonin but so far, no such luck. In the last 3 weeks the only time I slept through the night I had a toddy (tea, honey and rum) and a 600 ibuprofen. Not something I can do nightly.
    -I am on an estrogen patch since I am too young for complete menopause. Apparently I need some to help thwart osteoparosis and a host of other issues for a time. I flash a bit but mostly can not regulate my body temperature. Doc says this is normal.. pfft! HOW WOULD HE KNOW? Oh did I mention the occasional mood swing? Duck!
    -my shaking hands have increased. Lucky me I found out "essential tremors" run in the family. Crafting has become a bit difficult.
    -Went for a med check with my MD and he would like to see me "aggressively lose weight and increase my fitness" in the coming months. Umm yeah..ok

So, for the past few weeks.. to be honest I have eaten what I wanted when I was hungry. I know its time to start getting back on track and I feel like such a noob. Ok so I bought some whey protein (no whole 30 at least for now) and now just have to find the energy to make the right foods instead of eating foods of convenience. Its 8:30 and I have not eaten anything yet.. going to make some eggs I think.. I still have a headache from yesterday. Here is something I think as well.. tell me how far off I am:

If you eat low fat, you could have natural sugars (I am thinking fruit) or moderate carbs, If you eat high fat you need to eat low to no carbs so very little natural sugars. Protein should remain the same in both counts. Am I right, or have I totally lost it? I have my primal blueprint book next to me but to be honest, my head hurts to bad to go back and read read read..

I have missed you all while I have been gone. I will be catching up on your journals.
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    I wouldn't eat low fat in any case. It is bad for the brain. PB never recommends low fat, just different levels of carb. The fat/calorie control stuff comes from the forums.

I am following the Schwarzbein principal II again which for me is 75-100 carbs, high fat and about 100-125g of protein. I am eating all full fat dairy except milk. I think her program could help you because it is all about hormonal balance and not just the female ones.

I eat 15-25 carbs/meal or snack in the form of yogurt, fruit and starchy vegetables. I am feeling more stable. I recently came off an 8 day binge cycle and am going through some other shit. I need something that does not feel like deprivation.

Are you back at school?
    Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Yeah!! Something else to research while I am home! My doctor is really harping on 6 weeks home which means Nov 7th is a return to work. I have so much to do, I am hoping I can return Oct 29th. I know you only get one chance to heal correctly, but dang.. we are in the middle of text book adoption and so many other things I have to be a part of .. grrr...

I am checking out the Schwarzbein principal II

Edit: I am reading about the above and it might be a great help getting me back on track since I feel like it was so long ago I was eating the right way. Also, started vitamins as recommended by my surgeon. Calcium with D and B complex. Perhaps it will "perk" me up a bit.
    Last edited by athomeontherange; 10-17-2012 at 10:14 AM. Reason: edit
    Karin

Quote Originally Posted by Pebbles67 View Post
    I wouldn't eat low fat in any case. It is bad for the brain. PB never recommends low fat, just different levels of carb. The fat/calorie control stuff comes from the forums.

I am following the Schwarzbein principal II again which for me is 75-100 carbs, high fat and about 100-125g of protein. I am eating all full fat dairy except milk. I think her program could help you because it is all about hormonal balance and not just the female ones.

I eat 15-25 carbs/meal or snack in the form of yogurt, fruit and starchy vegetables. I am feeling more stable. I recently came off an 8 day binge cycle and am going through some other shit. I need something that does not feel like deprivation.

Are you back at school?
    Ok.. I have gone to her sight.. downloaded the info. They recommend a $500 test bwahahahaha.. yeah, that is not happening.. however, based on the GI test answers they say I have severe damage to my digestive system. Not sure really where to start with this but its very easy to primal blueprint it. I am just not sure of my macros.
    Karin

Yeah, I am assuming that I am "insulin resistant, adrenal fatigued" without the tests. Her worst "type". She has four.

The macros for IR,AF are 15g of carb to per meal and snack (3 meals + 2 snacks = Total 75). Maxing out at 25/per meal and snack if you are more active, total 125g. She recommends 1-1.25g of protein per kilo that you weigh. For me that is 110-130 ish grams. She recommends lowering Sat fat if you are upping carbs a lot, but I won't do that unless I actually take my carbs up over 100 on a consistent basis. I believe in the power of fat.

I am only on step 1 right now. Which means that I am not worrying about sleep(step 2) or dropping caffeine and AS (step 3). I can't afford all the supplements she recommends and can't do HRT (step 5). I do exercise already (step 4).
    Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Quote Originally Posted by Pebbles67 View Post
    Yeah, I am assuming that I am "insulin resistant, adrenal fatigued" without the tests. Her worst "type". She has four.

The macros for IR,AF are 15g of carb to per meal and snack (3 meals + 2 snacks = Total 75). Maxing out at 25/per meal and snack if you are more active, total 125g. She recommends 1-1.25g of protein per kilo that you weigh. For me that is 110-130 ish grams. She recommends lowering Sat fat if you are upping carbs a lot, but I won't do that unless I actually take my carbs up over 100 on a consistent basis. I believe in the power of fat.

I am only on step 1 right now. Which means that I am not worrying about sleep(step 2) or dropping caffeine and AS (step 3). I can't afford all the supplements she recommends and can't do HRT (step 5). I do exercise already (step 4).
    I think I am also adrenal fatigued and insulin resistant. If I was not before surgery I know I am out of wack now. So, I am going with your scale here. 75g carbs is a good place for me. Although waving between 50 and 75 when I am focused is the norm. I am not used to snacking so I need to rethink things a bit. I am concerned about the amount of protein I need 136-171 grams (hey what??- sounds like SPEED). Looking over this program, SSoS and SPEED there are so many common denominators.

How long do you stay on a step? Step 1 seems like a doozy. Eat solid food?? I think smoothies are helpful. Surely they are acceptable.

As for recommended supplements, I am sticking to my docs recommendations. I am curious about the zinc test though. I wonder if I am low in zinc frequently. It would explain why I catch so many colds and such don't you think? Finding liquid zinc though is not easy.

When I get to step 5, I will be fine. I am on the estrogen patch. For how long though, I have no idea.
    Karin

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    It does look like SSoS, SPEED, and Swartzbein have a lot of commonalities. I suspect that the details where they differ might have to do with individual tolerances for things like carbs.

In SSoS he did say in one of the threads) that you can't do high protein with both high fat and high carb if you want to lose weight, and if you think about it that makes perfect sense. But then when you get into the details of what "high" means that is where the interpretations start!

His newest recommendations for hormonal balance and eventual permanent fat loss, based on his continuing reading of the research, is between 125g to 200g of protein, divided fairly evenly among how ever many times you eat. (if you eat 4 times-3 meals and a snack- then 40g per would be 160g total, etc). And 10 veggies, half of which should be green, but all of which should be non-starchy. (maybe adding 1 fruit, knowing it will slow the process). This gets me to between 75g and 100g of carbs a day (he considers squash a non-starchy and it can be higher in carbs than most veggies). Regarding fat, he generally suggests using naturally occurring fats and not going crazy with adding them (ie. use CO as needed to prevent sticking, but don't add it to everything). This usually gets me to about 60g to 80g of fat a day.

I rarely stick to it perfectly for more than about 5 days in a row, because life happens. But I don't binge any more, for the most part. And when I do go a bit overboard I get right back on track. I do feel better, but no weight loss that I can tell yet. Not getting on the scale till December!

p.s. Karin, take good care of yourself and don't rush things. One week now could mean a whole lot of difference in the long run, so it is worth it.
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

How long to stay on each step?

I think it depends on healing time. Working on rest is probably a good idea, ASAP. She recommends not dropping chemical crutches like caffeine, alcohol and sugar until the new routine is well established. She also recommends taking the exercise thing slowly.
    She does not recommend drinking macros in shakes or even having protein bars due to processing and lack of balance. ie too much quick digesting protein at one time.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Well last night I slept a little better. While I had bouts of wakefulness, when I finally looked at the clock it was 4:30a. So, perhaps starting the vitamins yesterday helped. We will see. I am still taking the meletonin.

As for taking the exercise slowly? I have no choice. Last Saturday when dd was "Mayor for the day" and in the parade, I sat downtown in my chair and watched. Then grandma took dd to ride some rides, I sat and waited. So in all, I got about 3 hours of fresh air just sitting and walking small distances. It exhausted me and I came home and took a 4 1/2 hour nap. Then I got up and walked for a bit (a few blocks). The next day I spotted pretty heavily. So I did too much. Crazy huh?

Paula- I totally see her point on the shakes, but I cant help but think.. How in the world will I get in all my protein?? I also do not see anything about counting calories. Did I miss something or is it the macros that are important?

Making lists to grab a few thing at the store as well as questions for the conference/504 meeting for dd next week. Since this whole hysterectomy thing I found I am a champion question asker and just keep a legal pad with me at all times to jot down things that I need info on.
    Karin