Page 187 of 630 FirstFirst ... 87137177185186187188189197237287 ... LastLast
Results 1,861 to 1,870 of 6291

Thread: The Journey begins with me page 187

athomeontherange is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Attempting a SANE day of eating. I know I need to cut back on fruit.. oh my its hard. 2 fruits a day.. (on the inside I am like holy crap, I have to eat MORE veggies) I can do this. I am tracking initially to see the stats and get a general idea. We know my track record with journaling food so, I am learning what I can about the micros. I think one thing that makes this a challenge for the smoothies is my lack of dairy. I truly do not miss it but then am also lacking items for smoothies too. Occasionally I use egg white protein, I need to see about using liquid egg whites too, fruit, veggies, tea and CM. I think I have some flax and will add that. I think that adds fiber??

Today we head to the DR when they open. I am SO THANKFUL they are open 7 days a week- even holidays. DD got bopped in the nose playing with friends Sat. No biggie.. gave her ice and she went back out to play. That evening, she can not breathe out of one side of her nose that was hit.. it seemed stuffy. Last night started a fever. The doctor said broken noses do not have fever.. but that is not what webmd says. I am not a fan of the doctor on call but I suppose its better than no body. I think she and I will go toe to toe today. At any rate, she said they would xray the nose.

I have been up almost an hour and have had no coffee or food.. feeling crabby so I am going to remedy that now.
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    In my smoothie this morning I put butternut squash, a navel orange, and spinach. I used cottage cheese (thinking this is a no for you), whey (another no?), liquid egg whites, orange zest, sweeteners, vanilla, xanthum, green tea. The green tea makes it a bit grassy, so I like my afternoon smoothie better because I don't use the green tea in it.

In yesterday afternoon's I used the green beans you suggested and they worked out great. I also had broccoli, strawberries, greek yogurt, almond milk, liquid egg whites, and the whey along with the sweeteners, xanthum, and vanilla. This one was very good, just like a strawberry shake.

I usually add 2T of golden flax to one of them, but am out of it.

I am sure that while technically a broken nose doesn't cause an infection, a blockage certainly could. at any rate if it is broken it is easier to deal with it now than have to correct a deviated septum via surgery later. When I had my surgery, they used little plastic splints inside my nose and I didn't have to have them stuffed like many docs do. Much for comfy for the healing process. just fyi.
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Regarding the smoothies.. I really do better when I stay away from dairy. Now I had a bit of mozzarella this morning with my eggs but the whey and cottage cheese would be too much. My gut tends to rebel when I eat much more than a bite of cheese here or there.

I have been using up my green tea in my smoothies. I have not noticed the grassy flavor though. I have used celestial seasonings and bigalow brands. I like most herbal teas though as well in my smoothies. I have some blackberry tea I bet would be awesome because 1. it just tastes good 2. it would "seem" like I am getting an extra fruit.

The appointment is for 12:10pm today. While I wish it were a bit earlier I am thankful it is not. Lily did not sleep much or well last night and is so tired. Come to think of it.. I am tired too from being awake with her (taking temps, getting meds, getting cold drinks)

I took a nap today ans so did Lily. She is still running a fever so she and I will be home tomorrow.
    Karin

Luckily I don't have any problems with dairy since I like my smoothies to be more like milkshakes. Did you ever try the Great Lakes gelatin for protein? Actually most days, I would still get a good amount of protein even if I didn't use the whey in my smoothies.

Hope the doctor visit went well.
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

The doctor visit went ok. The good news is her nose is not broken from rough housing with friends. The bad news is she has a sinus infection which is why she has been fighting fever. We are home today and she should be back to school tomorrow.

I have not tried the gelatin for protein. What are the stats on it? That might just be the key since too much dairy is not so great. The only stat I can find about protein is that its 88%
    Karin

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    Sorry you girls are already sick.

How about coconut milk for smoothies?
    Paula Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Great Lakes Gelatin | Collagen Joint Care for Consumers I use the beef one as it is grass fed. 1T has 25 calories and 6g of protein, which is about the same stats as whey right? 4T=100Calories=24g protein. They do have one that doesn't thicken which might be the way to go if you want to use it that way (ie.4 T in a smoothie of the regular one would turn it to jello I think)

You could use Almond milk for smoothies as well right?
    Last edited by demuralist; 09-04-2012 at 10:19 AM.
    Chris
    Unknown

I would like to find a gelatin that does not thicken. That sounds best. I do use coconut milk all the time and love it. I can not use almond milk.. nut allergy- even though I do not test positive for nuts or anything really.. I know I have to use an epi pen and go to the ER when I do.

Pity binge this morning.. going to try and have a better day. I am heading in to make a smoothie. I have one more scoop of protein left.
    Karin

The first one on the page that link goes to doesn't congeal. Almond milk is not worth a trip to ER!

I noticed the other day there are more and more non-dairy "milks". Hemp, rice, and I saw this recipe...

"Chia milk: This ancient superseed is loaded with nutrients. When soaked, they will gel up like tapioca, which is tasty on its own, or add more water, blend and strain. Mixes well with a heavier nut milk. 3 tablespoons chia seeds soaked in 2 cups water overnight will make a good sized batch."

chia also has protein among many other helpful nutrients, the white seeds have very little taste.

p.s. I am glad to see you are not going to let a minor mistake in the morning direct the whole day. I once saw a quote that basically said "If you got a speeding ticket in the morning you wouldn't drive like a bat out of hell the rest of the day figuring what the heck the day is shot. So why treat a dietary indiscretion that way?"
    Last edited by demuralist; 09-04-2012 at 12:10 PM. Reason: p.s.
    Chris
    Unknown

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    hey, p.p.s I just saw this....Gelatin is a good source of protein (6 grams per Tablespoon), collagen and amino acids (it has 18, 9 of which are essential). Of these amino acids, Glycine is reported to help liver function and Lysine is utilized in muscle building and calcium absorption. Because of this, gelatin is often included in recipes for homemade baby formula, as it also helps digest milk proteins.
    Chris
    Unknown