Page 182 of 621 FirstFirst ... 82132172180181182183184192232282 ... LastLast
Results 1,811 to 1,820 of 6205

Thread: The Journey begins with me page 182

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I always feel tired when school starts. I think it is because we use muscles that are rested all summer. Teachers are on their feet so much. I hope your day gets better. Feed Yourself.
    Paula Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    take care of yourself.
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 5:2 -2 day fast diet with real food every day

RMS123 is offline Senior Member
    Yes. Hang in there. And, try to eat I know I cannot IF when I'm stressed - makes everything worse.

Hope the back to school aches go away soon!
    -- Ruth

athomeontherange is online now Senior Member
    Note to self.. eat. Starting school and IFing= bingeing. So.. this morning, made some eggs.. no time to eat them. Took them with me to eat at school.. LOL They were coddled which made them easy to transport.

Lunch was funny.. so I crock-potted some chicken earlier this week.. heated it up, threw it on salad with a little salsa cheese and sour cream (I know.. I am not quite off dairy but its not a daily thing so.. meh..), another teacher followed her nose to my classroom asking if I had cooked chicken because it smelled so good. LOL I explained the leftovers and impromptu salad and she said it looked and smelled so much better than her lean cuisine. HA! Vindication!

This week is a whirwind.. I will catch up with posts and what nots this weekend.
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Slowly catching up between naps..aaand 5 kids running in and out of the house.

This week I have been poor about journaling.. hence my eating has been poor. Interesting correlation. I need to get back to writing in it though. The lunches for school the past few days have been good though. Simple but good. greens, a little cheese, chicken and salsa (sometimes a little sour cream). I found a real mild salsa (no weird ingredients or sugars) that actually makes a salad tasty. Yes it is tomato base but it gives it a little taste without eating a whole tomato which causes problems. So, for now I have solved the salad dressing issue. Tomorrow I am making a rotisserie chicken in the crock pot. http://busy-mommy.com/2010/02/how-to...e-chicken.html . This way I can have more chicken for salads for lunch this next week. See.. slowly getting back into the groove. I have also been taking kool-aid/lemonade to school to drink and cutting back on soda a whole lot.

Looking for suggestions: Ok.. so by 12:30 of teaching my throat is froggie/gravel. I went to the doc and he said that my vocal chords are scarred. Nothing I can do but keep it hydrated and suck on lozenges. So I drink.. which has little effect, and suck on hard candies (yes sugar, or cough drops- yes sugar) they help a little but still the problem persists. The doctor says to rest my voice, which does work.. I am at my best in the morning and RIGHT after plan and lunch where I talk as little as possible. I do use a microphone system so I do not have to project as much and can still be heard. My mom wants me to gargle with salt water and I will try it (it so gags me). Other suggestions? Its not so much a sore throat like when you have a cold or strep. Its actually a pain- sharp almost like I have been punched in the throat. I take aspirin and it takes the edge off some.
    Karin

The crockpot is one of my best friends, too I made chicken or roasts and then have leftovers for days! I'll be making big batches of soups & chilis soon as well (too hot now...).

So sorry to hear about the throat. I wish I had some solutions, but not really. Maybe really cold/frozen foods (like a veggie/protein smoothie)? It sorta numbs the throat (although maybe that's just a temporary measure...).
    -- Ruth

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    There are sugar free Ricola that are not cough drops but are throat soothing drops (my DD uses them).

So, the chords are scarred, and the pain comes because....when you talk it creates inflammation/swelling? If that is the case then anti-inflammatory measures would seem to be in order. As Ruth suggests, cold things, and maybe be more pro-active with the aspirin (or NSAID of choice)? Pain relievers work best if you don't wait for the pain to reach fever pitch. Although I am guessing you are looking for an alternative to using them regularly.

Maybe using more audio/visual resources in your classroom?
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 5:2 -2 day fast diet with real food every day

Did you say that fish oil doesn't make you feel good? That's also really good for inflammation...
    -- Ruth

Quote Originally Posted by demuralist View Post
    There are sugar free Ricola that are not cough drops but are throat soothing drops (my DD uses them).

So, the chords are scarred, and the pain comes because....when you talk it creates inflammation/swelling? If that is the case then anti-inflammatory measures would seem to be in order. As Ruth suggests, cold things, and maybe be more pro-active with the aspirin (or NSAID of choice)? Pain relievers work best if you don't wait for the pain to reach fever pitch. Although I am guessing you are looking for an alternative to using them regularly.

Maybe using more audio/visual resources in your classroom?
    I do not know why there is pain. For example I woke with it this morning. You are right though, I would rather not take pain relievers on a regular basis. I will look for the ricola drops though.

I use audio/visual as much as possible but I have to instruct so can not avoid talking. This was not so bad this summer but then the situation was totally different. The thing that has felt the best was a Popsicle I had when we had a school wide Popsicle party on friday. soooo soothing.. so I think Ruth is onto something with the smoothies although smoothies are not a preference.
    Karin

Quote Originally Posted by RMS123 View Post
    Did you say that fish oil doesn't make you feel good? That's also really good for inflammation...
    Fish oil does funny things to the tummy so I quit taking it.
    Karin