Page 153 of 616 FirstFirst ... 53103143151152153154155163203253 ... LastLast
Results 1,521 to 1,530 of 6158

Thread: The Journey begins with me page 153

demuralist is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    the fitbit does give you activity points as well, I didn't check to see what it had to say about the basement activity, but I think that it is related to the steps taken. there is a little flower on the fitbit and you can see if it thinks you are being active or not. I am willing to lose a bit of precision to not have to wear it around my arm though, mostly because I don't think it is a direct correlation to weight loss (activity I mean), so the fitbit is just a helpful tool.

My doctor is rail thin, but her dad was very heavy and had diabetes. She knows that it is not a simple calories in/calories out, but really doesn't have the answers (well dah, none of us really do, do we?), and she knows it, so she makes suggestions based on her experience as opposed to the general dogma. She is trying and she honestly cares so I forgive her this piece of advice.

It is probably true that if I got more than 10,000 steps every day I would at least get smaller if not lighter. And I would have less time to be in the kitchen in front of the pantry, and that couldn't hurt.
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 5:2 -2 day fast diet with real food every day

athomeontherange is offline Senior Member
    Ok.. here is my rough draft. It needs to be tweaked because too regimented = fail for me.

I started answering those questions:

Why am I the way I am?
    -lifetime of bad habits
    -i eat for boredom, insecurity, fear, worry, anger, grief, physical illness, stress

Who has achieved results I am hoping to achieve?
    -some MDA friends in stages

Who has an expertise in my particular problem area?
    -therapist- but yeah, not going

What assumptions am I making that are preventing me from solving this problem?
    -I can will myself to change
    -I can be like the NIKE commercial and just do it.
    -It will be a struggle to overcome a lifetime of bad eating choices- not food, behavior

Food Rules- roughly 1400 calories/day

1. 50-75g protein/day
    2. 50-75g carbs/day
    3. 7 different fruits and veggies/day
    4. 75g fat/day
    5. Food on a plate, eaten in one sitting. No snacking between meals
    6. no faleo foods
    7. sweet potato 1x/week
    8. 1 cheat meal per week
    9. do not eat in the car
    10. 6-8 glasses fluids/day
    11. It is ok to IF breakfast if not hungry or IF a meal if out and whole food is not available.
    12. Walk daily and start weights

Cheat Rules (meal or other)

1. must be on a plate- not out of a bag etc.
    2. must be ONE serving not multiple servings
    3. You must look in the mirror and tell yourself what you are going to eat and why you are going to eat it. (verbalize it)
    4. You must sit to consume this
    5. You may not consume in the car
    Last edited by athomeontherange; 05-14-2012 at 08:39 AM.
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

that sounds fantastic. Now, is it such a drastic change that it would be more likely to be successful if you broke it down into parts or is it really just mostly a matter of degrees? Also, are you going to get enough calories?

Not eating in the car was one of my first habits to change, years ago, after I saw a huge woman shoving about 10 french fries into her mouth as she was trying to make a left turn. I thought "really, couldn't make the turn then eat?" then I thought about how it looked when I ate in the car and well that was that!

p.s. on #10 I think you mean daily?
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My "Program": doing my version of a 5:2 -2 day fast diet with real food every day

I edited a few things like the fluids/day and the daily calories.

I think making a conscious effort for the 7 different fruits and veggies will take a conscious effort and will have to be worked up to. Also, tracking is tough for me and I am working up to that as well.
    Karin

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    Good Plan. You got me on assumptions. "I can will myself to change" "I can just do it"

As you saw, I laid out some goals for myself as well, but they could easily come crashing down as soon as I find a good emotional excuse to binge. Where is my sticking point?

There is a quote from the Bible about staying strong something like "I have set my face like flint."

I want to be one of those people who eats primal and never looks back.
    Sorry for the rant, but I have made plans over and over. It is my follow through that sucks.
    Paula Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Paula.. my follow thru also blows. However, I am trying to go to that step past the identifying and planning and to the actual doing.

I can will myself to change: It like, if I just want it enough it can happen. This is a faulty assumption due to year of bad habits. It takes more than will-power. Will power is faulty thinking in my opinion.

I can just do it: If I could I would have done so by now.

Those false assumptions I have been working under get me every stinking time. So.. if I do not really think about "change" but think about what I am going to "do"... (7 veggies, 1400 calories, 75g protein, etc.) perhaps I will be more successful. I think I mucked up the explanation.
    Karin

I quit smoking every day for years. Literally. Every single morning I would get up and say today is the day. Finally worked, 22 years ago. Eventually all the little bits and pieces that you have learned along the way will click and you will be off and running, we must still have things we need to learn.

I just saw a really cool tracking site. It is through twitter. Tweetwhatyoueat - the easiest food diary you'll ever keep

so the cool thing is that you can just put down what you eat, if you want to keep the calories you can put those down. but the thing is, if you just get in the habit of putting down what you eat you will eventually have no trouble tracking. And you can do this on your phone, just like a text message. I use myFitnesspal.com and have fallen into the habit, finally, but when I had trouble doing it I often wanted some place I could just write down the food. so you should check it out.
    Chris
    Unknown

No, your explanation was fine. I was just lamenting my past and I was agreeing with you.
    I think you are right. Follow the action plan daily and stick to it. I tend to go for a couple of days then eat something I shouldn't or start believing that it is not working and change something.

I probably need counseling as well, but don't have time or money.

2nd night in a row I am up in the middle of the night. Alyhough this time i am not hungry. I suspect too many carbs.

1573 cal
    70g fat
    136 g carb
    104 g protein

I gad 4 fruits and veg instead of 7... gah!!!!!

Of course it coukd be too there are only 7 school days left but this is the big week to get things in and graded..so stress.. feeling not quite heart burny but full..or uncomfortable and my allergies are crazy. I am still trying to get in early for allergy testing..ugh! My appt is in July.
    Karin

Ack! sorry for the lack of sleep and allergies. I just realized yesterday that I only have 18 days left with the kids and I am behind on speaking testing.