Page 14 of 637 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464114514 ... LastLast

Thread: The Journey begins with me page 14

athomeontherange is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fpsjosh01 View Post
    I think the only bad part about this is you totally didn't fry the hard boiled egg instead in some form of butter/coconut oil.

You can almost get away with 50% of your calories in fat. I found it helps jumpstart weightloss like nobodies business.

Once you feel REALLY good, then you stop counting calories and listen STRAIGHT with your body.

Might I also suggest not using a protein shake, (unless it has vitamins?) You don't need to supplement a macro like protein unless you're doing weight training (you probably should be though...) The only macro supplement I take is coconut oil and I've stopped doing it because it helps me lose weight better.

I'm actually incredibly excited for you and can't wait to see the results you get. Keep us posted.
    well the hard boiled egg is because I am at work.. no frying eggs here LOL

As for the protein powder, I need to have like 200g of protein/day for the SPEED program I am doing (which makes SO MUCH SENSE). Although getting up there is hard. I find the protein shake helps as 2 scoops gets me 48g. I add coconut milk because the protein powder is non-fat and the orange because I need the extra vitamins. I actually like the shakes in the morning. Time is of the essence in the morning get myself and my daughter ready and us out the door at 6:15am. No way I am going to cook breakfast (I save that for the weekend).

Also, since I have struggled to get that extra protein, I have noticed there is a little more fat. I am not going to stress about this at this point.

P.s. oh the protein powder is egg white protein
    Last edited by athomeontherange; 10-19-2011 at 10:36 AM. Reason: p.s.
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Quote Originally Posted by demuralist View Post
    YAHOOOOOO!!! so excited for you. I know it is a biggie to see that first number drop from a 3 to a 2!

So if you are losing weight (and you are!!), and you don't feel hungry, I would not stress about the very fine details. Are you doing the net carbs as suggested in the SPEED book, or just counting them outright? either way 30 to 50 is about right isn't it, so your carbs look good.

For the leaner beef I have had to be very careful about how long I cook it, or I put it in the crock pot with liquid. For things like a flat iron or the one you make fajitas with (cannot remember the name of it) I marinate them and then quickly broil them under a very hot broiler-maybe 3 minutes a side. Then let them sit for 10 minutes so the juices have a chance to work their way back into the cells, then slice against the grain to keep them from being chewy. For the leaner ground beef that I am doing in a 'fry pan' I just make sure I only cook it until it is just barely done. I also tend to use a bit of dried minced onion in the seasoning I add to it because they soak up the fats and that way I don't have to drain it off and the onions add a nice juiciness to the dish.

you are doing great. You lost weight while on steroids! Now when you get off the antibiotics you will really kick butt. (I usually do some yogurt everyday that I am on an antibiotic to avoid a yeast infection-don't know if that is still recommended or not?)
    I need to get back to my probiotics AND get me some yogurt as well. Especially with this being round 2 of antibiotics, my system is seriously depleted I am sure.

As for the carbs.. I am figuring a carb is a carb and not bogging myself down with net carbs.

I have been very pleased with the fact I am hungry or starving come meal times. I am also trying to plan higher protein meals.. I have a chicken in the crock pot as we speak. It will be good for lunch tomorrow and maybe a little for breakfast too!
    Karin

fpsjosh01 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by athomeontherange View Post
    well the hard boiled egg is because I am at work.. no frying eggs here LOL

As for the protein powder, I need to have like 200g of protein/day for the SPEED program I am doing (which makes SO MUCH SENSE). Although getting up there is hard. I find the protein shake helps as 2 scoops gets me 48g. I add coconut milk because the protein powder is non-fat and the orange because I need the extra vitamins. I actually like the shakes in the morning. Time is of the essence in the morning get myself and my daughter ready and us out the door at 6:15am. No way I am going to cook breakfast (I save that for the weekend).

Also, since I have struggled to get that extra protein, I have noticed there is a little more fat. I am not going to stress about this at this point.
    I totally understand. People made faces at me when I cooked bacon here at work. You couldn't imagine the stares.

coconut milk + protein powder = best post workout drink I've ever had.

When I'm done losing belly fat, I will go back to just that, because it's tasty, For now, post workout is just a pure protein shake and water.

You could also fry the eggs at night before you go to bed, then reheat them in the microwave for massive fat gains in the morning. It's only an extra 10 calories in fat, but it adds up for sure.

Also, I've said this many times, you can get away with 50% of your daily calories as fat (as long as there's no veggie oils/hydrogenated crap.)

Quote Originally Posted by athomeontherange View Post
    I need to get back to my probiotics AND get me some yogurt as well. Especially with this being round 2 of antibiotics, my system is seriously depleted I am sure.

As for the carbs.. I am figuring a carb is a carb and not bogging myself down with net carbs.

I have been very pleased with the fact I am hungry or starving come meal times. I am also trying to plan higher protein meals.. I have a chicken in the crock pot as we speak. It will be good for lunch tomorrow and maybe a little for breakfast too!
    Good idea.

Just try to get your carbs from vegtables rather than fruit, because the fruit tends to bypass a lot of the liver stores. Sweet potatoes are soo good for this.

I still eat oranges and bananas and can't live without them, but there's no substitute for lowering fructose in your diet. Remember that we are trying to do the opposite of EVERYthing the FDA says, minus vegtables (which you should probably eat more of than they say.)
    Last edited by fpsjosh01; 10-19-2011 at 10:39 AM. Reason: avoiding repost
    Blag: The FPSJosh01 Ego Experience
    Follow me on google+
    Superraw: the Autism Buster blag
    "Don't spread the word, spread the butter"

*yawn* so after days of great sleep last night I am awake at 1am (coughing), can not go back to sleep until @ 4am and then have to be up at 5am, which turned in HOLY CRAP ITS 5:40!! Going to be a loooong day. Enjoying some chai tea but think I am going to have to break down and make some coffee.

Yesterday's stats are not bad.. still high on fat and low on protein but I think thats because of the beef stroganoff.. there WAS a lot of cream and butter in it. Calories are still within limits 1700. fat 127g, carbs 49.33g, protein 125g. I notice I feel better now that I am taking on more carbs. I can do the 20g of carbs but I feel better closer to 50g of carbs.

Today's food:
    B: Protein shake with 1/3c cream and an orange
    L: I "frickin" F
    D: homemade eggdrop soup with some peas and carrots

If I have the avocado I will be over on carbs today though. I am still eating citrus as I am not completely over this gunk and just feel the need for it. Oh.. and yeah the antibiotic caught up with me yesterday and ripped my gut. I am taking on probiotics like you can not believe and hope that helps. Only a couple more days until the antibiotic is done.
    Last edited by athomeontherange; 10-20-2011 at 10:29 AM. Reason: edit lunch and dinner menu for tonight
    Karin

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    One of the reasons I went back to the net carb situation is that I felt better when I got closer to 50g-(the avocado has like 1 or 2 net carb) and it allowed me to increase my veggie intake substantially which like you say has made me feel so much better. I still don't hit my protein target, but close and the fat that rides along means I don't really add fat to things. If I don't eat the avocado I tend to have muscle cramps, so I find a way to keep it there, for me it is essential, you will figure out what is essential for you as you start to feel better and get some experience with the plan.

@fpsjosh01, I think the issue is that Karin's fat is coming in over 50%, I think that is what she was concerned about. The program, SPEED, she has started following has suggested macronutrients that she has been trying to hit. the program also suggests working out, but surely it would be better to wait to start until she is no longer sick.
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

fpsjosh01 is offline Senior Member
    Over 50%?

Man, I never got that high. I hear 50% is easily doable, but then you're not listening to your body at that point.

Mark usually will advocate for listening to your body. I personally got my best results eating some rice *gasp.*
    Blag: The FPSJosh01 Ego Experience
    Follow me on google+
    Superraw: the Autism Buster blag
    "Don't spread the word, spread the butter"

I am repeating this mantra today: I will not stress about this until I am well. I am going to IF lunch today (I will be coming in way under my target again but do not see another option at this point). My stomach hurts and I feel yucky (damn antibiotics- feels like a warzone going on inside).

When it comes to my fat.. I am projecting about 36% or @ 580c from fat. so even when I am over this amount.. I do not think I go OVER 50%.
    Karin

Well.. IF'd yesterday lunch, felt better at dinner so had some rubbed ribs.. YUM This morning, still feeling "full"/kinda ucky tummy so thought I would IF breakfast (except for coffee with cream- so not a true IF then) but taking meds and vitamins upset the tummy more- ate a banana to settle the stomach. Unbelievable how fast it worked. It use to be a piece of bread/toast to settle a tummy- a banana works well too FYI.

L today: IF
    D: TBD (not counting on anything.. going to wait and see how I feel)

I am still taking probiotics.. still following the SPEED program (just IFing more/as needed). I measure on Sunday. I have not weighed myself again, but will probably on Sunday as well.

Energy is good!! Sleep was better last night. I woke up at 4am instead of 5am but hey.. I can handle an hour off. Its 3+ hours that drag my butt down!
    Last edited by athomeontherange; 10-21-2011 at 12:53 PM. Reason: edited lunch for today
    Karin

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    Well the first thing I would say is, scrap plans until you are well!!! I would work to stay primal because I think it is the best way to get healed up. But no other restrictions on yourself, eat when you feel able and what ever feels good on the belly, the body is an amazing machine, it knows, and when you are sick it is super obvious.

So, when you are ready to jump back into SPEED (after antibiotics are out of your system!)....as to the fat percentage, I must have done the math wrong but I thought you were going over 50%. I actually shoot for 50%, less than that and I get hungry. My aims are 50% fat, about 15% to 20% carb (straight carb here not net), and 40% to 45% protein (up to 180g) and about 1,700 calories-these are the figures from the days I started losing weight, so I am going with what works!
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Took the last of the antibiotics today!! How long until its all out of my system??

YEsterday's food:

B: 1 c yogurt
    L: 2 slices bacon and a grapefruit
    D: (was finally feeling a little better) hamburger patty with bleu cheese but I did have some onion rings (ok darn-it I haven't eaten in how long?? I was finally ready to eat so I did... moving on.)

Today's food:
    B: 1 c yogurt, 3 slices of bacon and a grapefruit, coffee with 1/2 n 1/2
    L: Salmon patties with avacado (going to try and make an acacodo ancho for it)
    D: chicken livers wrapped in bacon with some vegetable :P

Ok.. I found my lipid profile from last year that got me thinking about what it might be now considering I have changed the way I eat, the way I move, the way I think AND since then have lost almost 30 pounds.

so 2010 results were: (non-fasting)

**total cholesterol 257 normal range 140-200
    DHDL 48 normal 30-85
    **TRIG 202 normal 30-150
    VLDL 40.4 normal 0-50
    **LDL 169 normal 0-130
    COR-risk 5.4 normal 4.2-7

I am not sure how long it takes to make a difference with your numbers. I have been primal since the 1st of August but it seems its only been since the 1st of October I REALLY know and understand what I am doing.

p.s. oh crap.. forgot to weigh myself this morning. I will tomorrow as I am curious again. I will measure today though.
    Karin