Thread: Kidney stone after 3 months primal...ouch! page

JJR
    JJR is offline Junior Member

Kidney stone after 3 months primal...ouch!

Primal Fuel
    I've been primal for about three months now—and it's actually been great. I'm rarely hungry, have lost about 15 pounds, and feel good.

That said, I was in the emergency room last night with a kidney stone—my first ever. Today, it seems to have passed, but now I'm worried that some part of my primal diet brought this about (and will again). Too much meat? Too much animal protein?

My wife certainly thinks so; she hasn't climbed aboard the train and now is a bigger doubter than ever.

Has anyone else had kidney stones, or specifically known of them related to a primal diet?

J

Kay Exeye is offline Senior Member
    use the search feature on the site, there was a thread a not so long ago that dealt with this. i think it had to do with oxalates, but don't quote me or flame me for getting it wrong.

that said i just dealt with horrible kidney issues and hope you feel better real soon.

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    The other thread has a lot of great info. You have to know what kind of stone y had before you can know what to do to prevent it.
    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

Mike Gager is offline Senior Member
    how much water do you drink?
    Primal Chaos
    37yo 6'5"
    6-19-2011 393lbs 60" waist
    current 338lbs 49" waist
    goal 240lbs 35" waist

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    Apart from meat what else have you included in your diet that may be culprit in kidney stones - ie other veggies you started eating. Make a list and see what it could be.

JJR
    JJR is offline Junior Member
    I read that thread...but didn't come away with anything conclusive. To Mike's point, I don't drink enough water. I'll start there. Since going primal, the biggest change in diet apart from an increase in animal protein have been oxalates (I've eaten a ton of chard) and an increase in almonds.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Drink more water so you pee more.
    Avoid oxalates.
    See a doctor if it gets bad.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JJR View Post
    I read that thread...but didn't come away with anything conclusive. To Mike's point, I don't drink enough water. I'll start there. Since going primal, the biggest change in diet apart from an increase in animal protein have been oxalates (I've eaten a ton of chard) and an increase in almonds.
    Chards and almond contain oxalates:
    http://www.georgetownuniversityhospi...es_Oxalate.pdf

bozi007 is offline Banned
    changle 02
    It’s important that you protect you hair while straightening.Let’s talk about hair care.I think its going around at this point that the environment,coloring,and heat treating can all harm hair.But it’s this last detail that I want to focus on, damage from heat straightening.One of the latest hair trends is the heat protection sprays,with many flat styler companies,Ghd Australia is a perfect selection.like Climbing Jacket inventing their own fashional style and design feature.In addition,Womens Asics Shoes are also used by overpronators who tend to roll their feet during the running gait,which may weaken foot and ankle muscles and waste energy with every foot strike if the incorrect shoes are worn.

bozi007 is offline Banned
    changle 02
    It’s important that you protect you hair while straightening.Let’s talk about hair care.I think its going around at this point that the environment,coloring,and heat treating can all harm hair.But it’s this last detail that I want to focus on, damage from heat straightening.One of the latest hair trends is the heat protection sprays,with many flat styler companies,Ghd Australia is a perfect selection.like Climbing Jacket inventing their own fashional style and design feature.In addition,Womens Asics Shoes are also used by overpronators who tend to roll their feet during the running gait,which may weaken foot and ankle muscles and waste energy with every foot strike if the incorrect shoes are worn.