Thread: Mark's new article on meal timing...Don't force it page

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member

Mark's new article on meal timing...Don't force it

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Mark posted a new article on meal timing, it's good-

How Often Should You Eat? | Mark's Daily Apple

I think the underlying message is "Don't force it."

I thought maybe the 100 pager on leptin reset maybe prompted him to write about this now, but he didn't mention it.

I think Mark's article is really sensible. Even if you are doing IF, don't force it, listen to your body.

Also, I think it's time to put a fork in grazing or 6+ mini meals. I don't know of anyone with credibility that is still saying this is the thing to do.

As far as the leptin reset/don't skip breakfast thing.. It's just temporary, 6-8 weeks, and it's for a specific reason.

Paleobird Guest
    Yes, very sensible advice.

I also thought what he wrote about ghrelin was interesting in the context of the leptin reset thing. Some people swore that that much protein that early in the morning would be puke inducing but, after a few days it became not only normal but eagerly anticipated. Maybe that is a ghrelin reset as well.

OneDeltaTenTango is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DFH View Post
    As far as the leptin reset/don't skip breakfast thing.. It's just temporary, 6-8 weeks, and it's for a specific reason.
    So then the post-reset recommendation would be eat primal, and follow your body's cues (i.e., don't force it), right? This would presumably keep the leptin systems functioning within normal range?

Thoughts?

DFH
    Yeah. It's interesting how trends go.

Up until about a month ago, it seemed that a big breakfast was completely out of fashion.

Now it's back.

DFH
    Quote Originally Posted by OneDeltaTenTango View Post
    So then the post-reset recommendation would be eat primal, and follow your body's cues (i.e., don't force it), right? This would presumably keep the leptin systems functioning within normal range?

Thoughts?
    Makes sense. I suspect that a lot of folks will keep doing their breakfast because they learned to like it!

Digby is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DFH View Post
    Makes sense. I suspect that a lot of folks will keep doing their breakfast because they learned to like it!
    Jk is clear he still does the early protein and advises sticking with that and the no snacking even when the 6-8 weeks of reset is over. I'm sticking with it; if it ain't broke.....
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

Paleobird Guest
    Well, I think we may be a bit too quick to toss out any and all pre-PB knowledge, label it CW, and toss it on the scrapheap of history. I think that the old saying about breakfast being the most important meal of the day may have been right after all. It's only in our lifetimes that the term "breakfast" got corrupted from steak and eggs to a bowl of Kashi with nonfat milk. When you restore the original meaning, the way our parents and grandparents were raised, the CW is right.

Digby is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Well, I think we may be a bit too quick to toss out any and all pre-PB knowledge, label it CW, and toss it on the scrapheap of history. I think that the old saying about breakfast being the most important meal of the day may have been right after all. It's only in our lifetimes that the term "breakfast" got corrupted from steak and eggs to a bowl of Kashi with nonfat milk. When you restore the original meaning, the way our parents and grandparents were raised, the CW is right.
    +1
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

DFH
    +2

People got carried away with the IF thing with the "I'm free from the rules that everyone has been chained to" thing. I saw that mentioned quite a bit.

I've been trying to not watch the clock and "let my body decide" for a couple of years. I ended up with breakfast the only full meal of the day. Lunch is small and dinner is a snack and I'm good. The only recent change is I quit doing my protein snack (tuna or salmon) about 9-10am and increased breakfast a bit. Also I added green tea to replace lattes.

brahnamin is offline Senior Member
    Yes, very sensible advice.

I also thought what he wrote about ghrelin was interesting in the context of the leptin reset thing. Some people swore that that much protein that early in the morning would be puke inducing but, after a few days it became not only normal but eagerly anticipated. Maybe that is a ghrelin reset as well.
    Yeah, the ghrelin thing made a lot of sense and completely fit with my own experiences both with IF and with the Leptin Reset.

The first two days (both times) I started the Leptin Reset I just didn't want to eat anything first thing in the morning but by day 3 I was waking up hungry and looking forward to a mess of eggs and the *critter du jour* . . . I experienced something similar when I first started with regular window IFing way back when. The first couple of days I wanted to eat around 10am rather than hold out til noon or one. But about three days into it I was fine and not hungry til after noon.

Nice to finally know why.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast