Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any Russians here? page

pjgh is offline Senior Member

Any Russians here?

Primal Fuel
    Any Russians here? I'm eating Russian on Saturday and want to make the most of it (a) Russian and (b) paleo. I'm eating here: Welcome to the Russian Restaurant

Are there dishes that are an outright "YES!!!!! GET THAT!!!!"? It all looks very appealing, but I'd appreciate any comments from folks with a more hands-on knowledge of Russian food.

Showing off ... the last Russian meal I ate was INSIDE the Summer Palace in Pushkin (outside of Saint Petersburg). No, really!

http://www.pjgh.co.uk/gallery_albums...0/DSCF1621.jpg

http://www.pjgh.co.uk/gallery_albums...0/DSCF1598.jpg

... anyway, if you'd read the menu and advise ... I'd be very grateful indeed. спасибо!

roromisty is offline Junior Member
    Well, I'm not Russian, but last weekend my friend from the Ukraine brought me a big pot of Ukrainian Borscht that she'd just made. It was delicious (and primal)!!

Digby is offline Senior Member
    Not Russian, but enjoyed the photo.
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

Lily Marie is offline Senior Member
    Half Russian here I've eaten my grandmother's Russian cooking my whole life. It's some awesome stuff.

How primal do you want to go? Rice, potatoes?

Everything looks good - but this is just what I've eaten(that is primal)

Golubtsi (Голубцы) - ₤9.50 CABBAGE ROLLS
    Famous Russian and Polish home made dish. Cabbage leaves filled with pork and beef minced meat, rice, carrots, fresh herbs & vegetables in a cream sauce. Served with fresh veg slices.

Goulash (Гуляш) - ₤7.90
    Made to the traditional Russian recipe. Tender pieces of beef fillet sautéed in own juice with onions, herbs & carrots. Served with fresh veg slices.

Ukranian Borsch (Украинский Борщ) - ₤5.00 Kinda Carby
    Famous Ukrainian meat thick soup made of prime beef/pork meats, beetroot, cabbage, carrots, onions, potatoes, sweet peppers and tomatoes. Served with soured cream and fresh dill.

You could go for any of the meat dishes. Russian food is hearty, filling and flavorful.

If you were to say *Eff it* and eat some dough, I highly recommend the Pelmeni(Ravioli) very different than the Italian version.

Thanks for the replies - I had both Borsch and Golubtsi in my sights.

I'm happy with rice and potatoes on occasion, by that I mean maybe once a month. Grains are right out! I made the mistake of eating roti with a curry the other day and it bloated me right up, left me feeling stuffed through to the following day, ruined my dinner, ruined my breakfast and set me back a long way.

Any more recommendations? Maybe something for my good lady? I'll no doubt end up picking for her.

Dalton is offline Senior Member
    The Russian architects certain had a flair for the beautiful.

The amazing thing about the Summer Palace is not that it was built once ... but re-built after being decimated during the Second World War. It's worth a google to see the renovation. We visited on a really bright summer day and the bright colours against a perfect blue sky were breathtaking.

kiss is offline Senior Member
    Also, not a Russian, but I did live in Moscow (I only got to spend a week in Petersburg) and worked as an English teacher. The menu looks delicious. I'm not sure I would be able to pick just one entree. I miss blini and pelmini and vodka with pickles and Baltica beer. And eating ice cream walking down the street in the dead of winter. Crazy Russians, but when in Rome--or Moscow....Anyway, I hope you enjoy your meal!
    kiss = keep it simple, sister!

Yeah, can't wait. I looked at the starters as well and thought I could eat two or three of those. Maybe I'll do that and skip dessert. I'll be getting a side order of pickled gherkins - I love 'em.

What a great evening! We had an amazing spread of food ... and our host was ever courteous to our needs. We drank a LOT of vodka!

I ate the herring salad - herring, loaded with carrot, beetroot and such like over the top to make a kind of pudding! I followed that with pork mince in cabbage leaves ... some cannabis infused vodka, some absinthe, some Russian Standard, some Lithuanian brew ... and many Russian beers. I had some ice cream, too ... with berries and whipped heavy cream.

Sure, I should be whipping myself with birch branches and crossing myself, but I had a lot of fun!

Na strahove! Over and out!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast