Thread: Will I Gain Weight Before Loosing It? page

asiabird01 is offline Junior Member

Will I Gain Weight Before Loosing It?

Shop Now
    Hi everybody,
    Just curious about this, so Conventional Wisdom (and doctor after doctor) told me that if I wanted to be lean and get rid of body fat I should exercise more, and eat less. That's what I did. I'd jog for 30 - 60 minutes 3 or 4 times a week, do Bikram Yoga a couple of times a week, and try to keep my calories under 1000. That's where I've been operating now for about 2 years.

I haven't lost any fat, and I'm not lean at all.

So I'm converted over to Primal, but since I'm now eating at least double the amount of calories that I was eating before AND walking at 55 - 75% of my max heart rate (which pretty much feels like mozying to me), am I going to gain weight for the first 2 - 3 weeks while my body changes from being a carb burning thing to a fat burning machine?

Oh, I'm 30, female, and about 138lbs, and jiggly all over (ew).

What should I expect?

Should I try and do below 50 carbs a day to optimize the process?

Thanks!

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    You may or may not gain weight- though weight doesn't matter- you'll need to heal from the poison you gave your body. There is some adjusting- calories up and down, carbs up and down, exercise, etc. Focus on health first, fat loss second.

Oh, and throw away the scale. You don't need it.

Raiken3712 is offline Senior Member
    I don't like the idea of throwing away something I paid money for myself :P. I do agree that you probably shouldn't weight more than once a week though, and don't get discouraged when you don't see numbers because there are a bunch of factors to think about. You could be gaining muscle or water weight.

Recently I read about the possibility that when you lose fat you may have water fill in where the triglycerides were temporarily so the weight might take awhile to go down when the water finally leaves the cells. Its always a good idea to think about whether you feel better and also measure your waist/hips and possibly more if you want. If you don't notice any change in your gut you may be losing in your butt, thighs, chest, arms..pretty much anywhere. Also I read somewhere ...can't remember where that it can take 2 weeks for your body to change over to fat burning, but possibly even more than that.

Chapter one on leptin…….. | Jack Kruse LEPTIN PART DEUX……..LIVER. | Jack Kruse leptin resistance, Dr. Jack Kruse, weight loss, Why is Oprah still obese? | Jack Kruse
    Jack Kruse talks about resetting your leptin sensitivity in 6-8 weeks.

Raiken3712 is offline Senior Member
    As for going under 50 carbs I think Mark recommends it for obese/diabetic people and it might be beneficial if you have a large amount to lose.
    Read this
    How many carbs should I eat each day? | Mark's Daily Apple

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Since you had been eating at least half of what you ought to have been eating daily for two years, your body is likely in starvation mode and your metabolism damaged. You ought to focus primarily on getting all the micronutrients (vitamins and minerals) you need, and then some. Keep wheat off the radar for sure but don't sweat carbs for now. Potatoes and yams are great. Even white rice once in a while. Let your body get used to the idea that there is an abundance of healthful food around. Yeah you may gain some weight at first, but be patient. You also might want to give Matt Stone's blog a peek at 180degreehealth.blogspot.com. He has a principle called RRARF (Rehabilitative Rest and Aggressive Re-Feeding) that might be up your alley.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Being in such a low-cal state for so long, you might not be typical, but I can tell you what usually happens.

Most people drop quite a few pounds pretty quickly. Then it slows down and sometimes plateaus, but can continue with some tweaking.

On the other hand, since you've been eating low-cal, I'm going to guess you were also low fat and missing some protein. It's an assumption, though so don't take my word for gospel. Anyway, if that's what you were eating, your body may have a lot of muscle building to do. Muscle weighs more than fat, so if you lose fat at the same rate that you gain muscle, you can add on a few pounds while you're actually getting leaner and slimmer.

If you're worried about it, do some body measurements, before you really start. But the other guys are right - you have a lot of healing to do before your body is going to work the way it's supposed to. Don't stress over it.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

asiabird01 is offline Junior Member

Thanks everyone!

Wow! What great advice and resources! Thank you to everybody that responded. I went through and read all of the links that you posted to me and I'm so fascinated! I love that there is such an awesome community here! Thanks again!
    Asia

Griff is offline Senior Member
    Please, please get your focus off the scale. Read "ditch the scale!" - it's in my sig. Thanks.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by asiabird01 View Post
    Hi everybody,
    Just curious about this, so Conventional Wisdom (and doctor after doctor) told me that if I wanted to be lean and get rid of body fat I should exercise more, and eat less. That's what I did. I'd jog for 30 - 60 minutes 3 or 4 times a week, do Bikram Yoga a couple of times a week, and try to keep my calories under 1000. That's where I've been operating now for about 2 years.

I haven't lost any fat, and I'm not lean at all.

So I'm converted over to Primal, but since I'm now eating at least double the amount of calories that I was eating before AND walking at 55 - 75% of my max heart rate (which pretty much feels like mozying to me), am I going to gain weight for the first 2 - 3 weeks while my body changes from being a carb burning thing to a fat burning machine?

Oh, I'm 30, female, and about 138lbs, and jiggly all over (ew).

What should I expect?

Should I try and do below 50 carbs a day to optimize the process?

Thanks!
    Fatty Acid Oxidation
    How to Lower Your Blood Sugar

PaleoPenn is offline Senior Member
    I gained a pound during my first week of Primal but it's been a steady 1 pound loss every week since. Although a few weeks there I've lost 3-4 pounds. Good luck!
    50 year old Male
    Current Weight: 195