Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who eats wild edibles?

Who eats wild edibles?

Shop Now
    What's your favorite wild edible? Mine are dandelion greens and lamb's quarters. Yum! Does anyone else eat weeds?

Yvonne PHX Guest
    I have a friend from China whose mother will pick weeds from the side of the road and cook them up. I, however, will not. I am afraid I will poison myself.

With Lamb's Quarters, do you peel off the leaves or eat the whole thing, stem and all? Is it only when they are small or when they're big too?
    Female
    31 yrs old
    5' 1"
    started: 113.5
    current: 109.7
    goal: my only goal right now is to get pregnant... 14 cycles and counting.
    exercise: Body by Science - loving it.

My kids pick dandelions from my yard for our salad. On Sunday, we hiked in to one of our favorite fishing spots, and stopped along the way to eat tiny wild strawberries at their peak. We're pretty spoiled around here.

I eat the leaves and the tender stems, but not the thicker stems. But I believe the whole thing is edible.

I eat berries that I can positively identify. I also recently identified passionflower and might try making some tea with it. Supposedly it's a relaxant with effects similar to but not as strong as kava.

Also, one time I ate some blackberries that were growing beside a dirt road near where I used to live. My lips started to feel numb within a few minutes. I guess they had been sprayed with some type of weed killer. I'm still kinda pissed off about that. Moral of the story: make sure the stuff you collect hasn't been poisoned!
    Last edited by yodiewan; 07-13-2011 at 07:18 PM.

Not even the buns get wild stuff... No way to tell what has been sprayed with chemicals.
    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

Paleobird Guest
    Yes, the possibilities of chemicals in addition to my total lack of any knowledge of what is edible or poisonous keeps me safely in the grocery store where things have labels.

I am a weed eater.

I have several favorites. Dandelions, knotweed, garlic mustard, milkweed and fiddleheads top my list. I am hoping to experiment with burdock this year, and maybe catch some sumac berries before the rain washes them out. I also have wild grapes, apples and blackberries nearby. The grape leaves are good for making pickles I hear. Keeps them crunchy. So I'll test out that theory later this fall.

There are others but my brain is just too tired to remember them at the moment.

Shop Now
    Milkweed is a K+ antagonist... Like coumadin, aka rat poison. Not for cows or horses, or people.
    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com