Thread: DIY Medicine Ball. My Take on The Subject. page

pizzmor is offline Member

DIY Medicine Ball. My Take on The Subject.

Shop Now
    www.everymanpaleo.com

"Its not that I am too old, your music really does suck..."

Abu Reena is offline Senior Member
    looks great. I made a similar one using a bball. Is the handle sturdy?

Yes very sturdy. The horse next door carries the ball around by the handle. Very tough material.
    www.everymanpaleo.com

Blah is offline Senior Member
    Well cool, great idea. Well written and the picutres are helpful.
    www.back-to-primal.blogspot.com or on Facebook here

My training journal if anyone is interested

Be strong to be useful

periquin is offline Senior Member
    checked your everyman paleo site. Great. I appreciate it. Now if I could come up with a cheap and serviceable heavy bag----
    Tayatha om bekandze

Bekandze maha bekandze

Randza samu gate soha

Valarauko is offline Senior Member
    I have experimented greatly with home made medicine balls. That "Jolly Ball" looks good, might search the net and see if they have one...Jolly good idea!

This past weekend I had the idea of filling a basketball with water - got a ball inflation needle and screwed it into the tip/nozzle a garden hose sprayer, it was the perfect size to screw into the plastic nozzle.
    Filled it and it was great - solid an still perfectly round.

Dropped it on the ground and it exploded! the energy transfer of the water i.e the inability to dissipate the energy like sand perhaps was the reason, but the cheap basketball was unable to handle it at all. My initial hypothesis was: that by not comprising the integrity of the ball by cutting it with a knife to put the sand in, it would be stronger but I was wrong.
    Perhaps if I got a leather ball with a bladder? - not using a cheap Taiwanese molded rubber ball? it would work...hmmm

My go to ball to make sand filled balls is "soft volleyballs" they are popular in Japan, much larger than a normal volleyball and made of rubber, they are like a 4-square ball or dodgeball ball. With a soft volleyball it's 11kg lightly filled with sand and 19kg with the sand packed into and the ball well stretched.
    I have thrown them (11 kg) as part of routines and they can handle it fine, they stretch and are soft so can handle the impulse and energy of connecting with the hard ground from a throw, they lose there shape, but that's what allows them to handle the energy load.
    Basketballs can't deform.
    Soft volleyballs have great grip too.

for sand I raid the sandpit at the local park ;-) -its huge,

Soft volleyball.

http://www.amazon.com/Horse-Jolly-Ba...0634333&sr=8-1

Jolly ball $19 on amazon.
    Last edited by Valarauko; 07-14-2011 at 02:06 AM.
    Fear of the unknown...They are afraid of new ideas. they are loaded with prejudices, not based upon anything in reality, but based onÖ if something is new, I reject it immediately because itís frightening to me. What they do instead is just stay with the familiar.

Thanks yall!

I found some on e-bay for $13-15 bucks. The thing really is tough. I spent a lot of time beating the crap out it and it seems like it will hold up well.

As for a heavy bag, I have one, but if I didn't, I would get an old US Navy sea bag and make on out of that. Just stuff it really well with torn up rags, etc. Here is one for $20... U.S.N. Heavyweight Sea Bag

I used to haul one of these around when I was in the service, and they are very tough. I always thought they would make a kick ass punching bag. Let me know if you decide to do it. I would love to see one made.

Making home made workout gear is addictive!
    Last edited by pizzmor; 07-14-2011 at 04:19 PM.
    www.everymanpaleo.com

Valarauko is offline Senior Member
    pizzmor - I bought a jolly ball from Amazon in the USA, it came about 3 weeks later. Filled it up; actually bought some sand this time, very fine sand so it flowed through the funnel with ease. The decent sized hole it has makes it really easy to fill and for a plug - just got a thick rubber band, cut it in half rolled it up really tight, jammed it in the hole and covered with piece of gorilla tape, - no worries at all, it's very well sealed and not going anywhere.
    Awesome medicine ball, can handle being slammed hard and the handle makes it easy to pick up. Awesome stuff, thanks for sharing the idea!
    Fear of the unknown...They are afraid of new ideas. they are loaded with prejudices, not based upon anything in reality, but based onÖ if something is new, I reject it immediately because itís frightening to me. What they do instead is just stay with the familiar.

Awesome! I am glad i could help and inspire you. I really love mine, and it is nearly indestructable.
    www.everymanpaleo.com