Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you do if you fall off Whole30 once? page

Kaylee99 is offline Senior Member

What do you do if you fall off Whole30 once?

Primal Fuel
    Hypothetically, if your doing Whole30 (no dairy, no grains, no legumes, no alcohol, no sugar) and you mess up a meal (for example, find out your spice has sugar in it, or something like that) do you have to start all over or do you tack on extra days?

I ask because hubby just left for a biz trip and he has to basically eat out for three days. He's done it low carb before, but is worried about getting soy or sugar in things without realizing it. He's going to try hard but I know they cram as many meetings and stuff as possible in the time he's there and his hotel doesn't have a kitchen. He's going to stop at a grocery and get fruit and try and find a safe jerky but that's not going to be enough to keep him filled.

Tips? Advice? Is he going to have to start Whole30 all over?
    See what I'm up to: The Primal Gardener

Fiona is offline Junior Member
    Whole30 is a personal thing, so a personal choice. I've gotten off the train, I just got right back on the next meal and didn't worry about it. Just do your best and forget the rest. =)

Primal Fist is offline Senior Member
    It's not like you have to obey the rules or else you die.

That said, the purpose (or at least a major purpose) of doing the Whole30 is to elicit a psychological change concerning your relationship to food. I would imagine that this effect is rather hard to come by if you don't do the full thirty days.

honeypig is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Fist View Post
    It's not like you have to obey the rules or else you die.
    Well, gosh, that sure seems to be the impression the folks on the site give you! Here's what they say:

"The only way this will work is if you give it the full thirty days, no cheats, slips or special occasions. This isn’t Whole9 playing the tough guy. This is a FACT, born of education and experience. You need such a small amount of any of these inflammatory foods to break the healing cycle – one bite of a friend’s pizza, one splash of milk in your coffee, one lick of the spoon mixing the cake batter within the 30 day period and you’ve broken the “reset” button. You must commit to the full program, exactly as written. Anything less and we make no claims as to your results, or the chances of your success."

I think the concerns of the OP are valid, if one takes this as the truth (I'm fairly new, so will not presume to offer an opinion). Clearly the people who run the Whole30 program DO think even 1 bite of a forbidden food will derail the whole thing!
    Last edited by honeypig; 07-13-2011 at 12:08 PM. Reason: clarity

Primal Fist is offline Senior Member
    Yes, Melissa and Dallas certainly do believe that, partly for the reasons I stated. My point was that tacking on extra days or restarting come to the same thing in the end, so it really doesn't matter as long as you are doing 30 days.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    If you didn't know it was there, it wasn't there.

belinda is offline Senior Member
    That's why I don't do things like Whole 30. Trying to be perfect just creates stress and I'm sure the cortisol defeats the whole 30 purpose anyway!

I gave up trying to be perfect a long time ago. This time around I'm settling for 'better'.
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

fufonzo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by honeypig View Post
    Well, gosh, that sure seems to be the impression the folks on the site give you! Here's what they say:

"The only way this will work is if you give it the full thirty days, no cheats, slips or special occasions. This isn’t Whole9 playing the tough guy. This is a FACT, born of education and experience. You need such a small amount of any of these inflammatory foods to break the healing cycle – one bite of a friend’s pizza, one splash of milk in your coffee, one lick of the spoon mixing the cake batter within the 30 day period and you’ve broken the “reset” button. You must commit to the full program, exactly as written. Anything less and we make no claims as to your results, or the chances of your success."

I think the concerns of the OP are valid, if one takes this as the truth (I'm fairly new, so will not presume to offer an opinion). Clearly the people who run the Whole30 program DO think even 1 bite of a forbidden food will derail the whole thing!
    I think finding out there's a bit of sugar in spice is a bit different than licking batter or having a bite of pizza.

I dunno, I'd still consider myself to have accomplished the whole 30 if found out there was a bit of sugar in the rub used on my ribs, for example (though how would you even know if you ask them beforehand?)

And to answer the question about what I'd do if aI fall off; well, I'd liek to say I'd start over again, but I'm sure if I was further along than the 4-day mark, I'd probably just quit then and there.....not very resilient, eh?

honeypig is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fufonzo View Post
    I think finding out there's a bit of sugar in spice is a bit different than licking batter or having a bite of pizza.

I dunno, I'd still consider myself to have accomplished the whole 30 if found out there was a bit of sugar in the rub used on my ribs, for example (though how would you even know if you ask them beforehand?)

And to answer the question about what I'd do if aI fall off; well, I'd liek to say I'd start over again, but I'm sure if I was further along than the 4-day mark, I'd probably just quit then and there.....not very resilient, eh?
    I'm not sure how a little bit of sugar in a spice is different from a little bit of sugar in 1 lick of cake batter or having a splash of milk...either way, the amount you are getting is truly miniscule. Unless the individual doing the program strongly suspects or knows they have a major intolerance to lactose, gluten, etc., I don't think most of us are that sensitive and would be affected by that. But whatever. As others have mentioned, the stress of being "perfect" for those 30 days while life (which is going to be less than perfectly controlled) is happening is very likely going to offset at least some of the benefits.

But as always, to each their own....

gunnk is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiona View Post
    Whole30 is a personal thing, so a personal choice. I've gotten off the train, I just got right back on the next meal and didn't worry about it. Just do your best and forget the rest. =)
    +1
    Life is short: Void the warranty.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast