Page 90 of 794 FirstFirst ... 40808889909192100140190590 ... LastLast

Thread: Anxiety, depression, laziness...Can the nameless wonder change? page 90

ckck1234 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    i can't get a good understand of the amount of carbs needed. waiting on mark's book

namelesswonder is offline Senior Member
    I really think it varies from person to person, and can change depending on the state of the body. Some people lose weight low carb (50g or lower), some people prefer to stay that way even just for maintenance. Some people function best with 1/3 of calories coming from carbs, and that would make others sluggish. I think, ideally, a body does well on a moderate carb level (100-150g, or maybe 150-200g) when it's not super active, but that is for an entirely healthy body with no metabolic or other issues.

I think I want to try increasing my carbs to 100g+ range, I'm just not sure how to do that without eating a lot of white rice. I also don't want to get burnt out on sweet potatoes. I guess that means more squash? I'm curious to see if my body seems to function well at a "maintenance" level at this point.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

I think I have nerve damage in my toes, or something. 2nd and third toe (counting in from big) on my left foot, and 2nd toe on my right foot get very itchy sometimes. I thought it was something fungal at first, maybe it is. I am going to lather them in coconut oil at least once a day while I'm healing my tattoo, which should be plenty of time to take care of it, if that's the cause. 2nd and 3rd toe on my left foot are very stiff and painful to bend sometimes when the itchiness flares up though. This definitely sounds like a good thing to take to the doctor, but I don't want to add more $ that I owe to the office right now. I'm wondering if I should soak them. They seemed slightly frost bitten a while back in the winter, so that may be what happened in terms of the painful stiffness. Weird that just a couple of toes froze! If it *is* fungal, I should probably clean out my boots...

I'm intrigued by this product Vitacost Thyroid Complex
    Every penny is important, so I guess I should not risk it. I don't want to mess up my thyroid if there's nothing wrong with it, but I know I'm not getting iodine & manganese in my diet. I just placed an order for more Tyrosine and 5-HTP. Should keep me going for 2 more months on the 5-HTP, 3-4 on the Tyrosine. If only VitaCost had a rewards program like VitaminShoppe (not worth it because it's more expensive)! The $ I got for selling a dress will cover these supplements though

I feel a bit itchy. I am really hoping that I can keep my carbs up while I do this candida protocol from here on out. I am really hoping I can mess up a bit this weekend when we're out and about and not have another flare-up. I am really hoping that a bit of cider on Easter doesn't mess things up either! At least I know how to manage the flare-ups, right? My sex drive has been poop since late last week and I think I need a break to let things recover a bit more. At least 2 days

Oh and I purposely ate more than usual yesterday. I think I was closer to 1800 calories, but probably still under. I was still hungry after dinner, had a sweet potato, still hungry until I crawled into bed. I don't know if that's because my brain said "welp you're going to bed now so forget that" or "welp you actually weren't hungry, and now you're sufficiently distracted so the feeling is gone!"
    Last edited by namelesswonder; 04-04-2012 at 09:59 AM.

Fifinaif is offline Junior Member
    Hi,

I've been poking around on here and found your thread. I haven't quite managed to read it all (you talk well!!) but just reading your first and last few posts I felt I needed to come and say Hi! I was going to do a bit more lurking before posting, to really figure out this whole Primal thing! I've come across Paleo and then Primal via a friend in order to try to help my major depression. And reading your first post, wow, I can so relate to parts of it. Not the low weight sadly! But never mind! It will change when I get my head round it all!!! But just wanted to say you aren't alone with the depression etc, and to get a bit of inspiration to help my depression too!!

Faye xxx

Carb levels are going to vary with age, activity, etc. What works for me (might not work for others) has been more LC during the week, a little more carefree on the weekends, so M-F maybe 75-125 g./day, and on the weekends maybe 100-200 or more. If I want to go on a longer run on Saturday, I may cut loose and eat a big Indian dinner (with rice!) and then do a mini-carb load before the run (Larabar), and feel great, burn the glycogen right off. Since I'm old as shit, I just don't need a ton of carbs during the week, and just mostly eat intuitively... If I feel like having a damned sweet potato during the week, I'll have a damned sweet potato during the week! If eating a couple of clementines satisfies a morning itch, I'll eat a couple of clementines. Just stick to PB foods, listen to your body, don't beat yourself up over a splurge, and don't be afraid of carbs per se, especially if you are active.

NW, did you do anything to strain the itchy toe? I found that with some various runner's injuries, when the muscles healed the area would itch. Kind of like when a cut heals. Someone foot stomp ya?

Quote Originally Posted by Finnegans Wake View Post
    Carb levels are going to vary with age, activity, etc...

NW, did you do anything to strain the itchy toe? I found that with some various runner's injuries, when the muscles healed the area would itch. Kind of like when a cut heals. Someone foot stomp ya?
    On carbs, I really just want to eat. My biggest constraint is budget! It seems silly to say I can't afford to eat as much fruit as I'd like to (2-3 pieces a day), but I go through it so fast, it just doesn't fit into the bill. I eat super meager (and very plain meals) simply because that's all we can swing right now. I'm curious if my body would be happier on carb levels like you described, on a day to day basis, considering all that I've read about carbs helping with depression. The increased protein from going primal definitely helped, and adding more doesn't seem like the right way to go (I eat at least 1g/lb of body mass), so that must mean I'm missing something else. I've been pretty LC since I started and am looking to break out of that cycle, it's just a bit tricky at the moment. I'll make it work, I've just gotten myself in a bind financially lately from wanting things too much (getting a tattoo instead of buying more food or making extra payments on student loans...yeah). I'm just hungry a lot and not sure what I'm not eating enough of.

My toes: I don't think I've strained it? I'm not very active. I'm sure it's been stomped on in the past (having been to some punk rock concerts in college, though I usually wore boots), but this feeling is pretty recent, since sometime last Winter. I might try evening soaks with some epsom salt, just the toes, to see if that improves the stiffness.

Quote Originally Posted by Fifinaif View Post
    Hi,

I've been poking around on here and found your thread... But just wanted to say you aren't alone with the depression etc, and to get a bit of inspiration to help my depression too!!

Faye xxx
    Hi Faye! Thanks for commenting. I'm glad I have been inspirational for you. Please feel free to stop by if you have questions about what I've done. Everybody is different, but the only way we can make our own "primal agenda" is by learning about everybody else's! Best of luck in your journey

My toes are super itchy today! They feel better being open to the air so I swapped to some semi-open slip-on shoes I keep at work (I wear boots when I ride the scooter, but they squeak so I change at work). They were very stiff again upon waking this morning and despite being very cozy in bed last night, it was a cold night. I also tend to get cold easily, especially my extremities. Some people have said that the whole iodine craze really helps with that, but I'm hesitant to add another supplement to the mix right now. It'll be warming up soon enough, I'm sure, so that goes on the back burner until I'm done with this candida stuff, I guess.

Healthy Eating Paleo Trial Day 30: A Former Vegan Gives It A Try for 30 Days
    This really resonates with how I've been thinking about what I need to eat lately. "By nature" (how I've been most of my life), I prefer to be lazy and sedentary, but I always feel good when I'm moving. Increasing carbs this week has really helped me feel more motivated to move. I want to be at the point where I can eat "normally" (plenty of healthy carbs alongside the fats and proteins) and really be able to listen to my body for queues. I don't think a mostly fruit-based diet, like that particular writer, will be what makes me feel best, but

As usual, I am worrying about my body image. I popped onto the scale at work yesterday and it reported something around 118 lbs. I remember the first time I knew I hit 118, sometime in college, and I remarked to my doctor, happily, that it was an all-time high for me. I was looking at my legs while working out last night and realized they look quite thin to me now, very much like they did in high school. I don't think I have anymore noticeable muscle definition than I used to, which was never much. If I'm being realistic, I'm sure I haven't worked out enough to get muscle definition anyway! My calves look bigger than they used to (a good thing, in my opinion), my biceps are definitely somewhat larger, I can feel muscles under my armpits/on the side of my rib cage, and (difficult to tell without a mirror that's not high up on the wall) I'm pretty sure my stomach is more defined, even if I'm not "shredded" like I've thought for a while that I wanted to be. These are changes. They are good changes. I'm just worried that I'm going to get too skinny! I don't think I'm going to reach my pull-up goal by my birthday, but I can definitely reach it by the end of the year. I just have to push myself a little more. I tried that the other day, just by going over 10 bent-over rows with the KB. I made it to 13 on each side

So yes, I worked out last night! I followed the week 1 video for Jillian Michael's Shredded in 30 Days. I used my KB for the swing & left & press type activities and skipped some of the bending because I was doing squats wrong and felt it in my back. I'll probably progress my upper body strength a lot faster using my 15 lb KB than the tiny weights they use in the video, even though I do fewer reps. I don't feel too sore today, but I won't do anything again until tomorrow at least. I will probably be doing a lot of walking over the next 3 days, at PAX East, and I may not be checking in here.

Oh yeah, and I fucking hate cardio. I'm still convinced that something was fucked up with my lungs/heart when I OD'd when I was 15. I did less during the workout sequence than I should've simply because I didn't feel like I could breath/my heart could keep up. I did as much as I could without collapsing and would walk around until the segment changed.

Goals for my long weekend: have fun!

Here's my skinny ass, for the record, as of August 2011.
    Tasha | Mark's Daily Apple

Well, not that skinny, definitely lacking in definition though (I have my mother's behind haha). I hope my bum is a little more lifted by the time I take a follow-up photo I lost that bra on that trip, must've left it at the hotel Haha you can kind of see my mottled skin on my thighs from being a bit chilly. I turn purple and splotchy when I get cold! I want thunderous thigh muscles hehe. I'll be sure you can see my cute little biceps in the next photo (maybe I'll take one on my birthday so I can update on the pull-up progress too). I do feel lucky that I have never been overweight and that even at my "worst", I was looking pretty okay, I just didn't feel okay. My head will always be slower than the rest of me, I'm afraid.

I am remembering my mother's wedding day photos, from when she married my dad with only immediate family present in the dining room of our little old house. They were both slim then, and she looked absolutely beautiful (I can see both myself and my sister in her, in those photos). I am inclined to believe, based on this, that I am naturally slim, and I will try not to worry so much about losing weight until my health severely declines as a result of poor eating =P I will also keep trying to eat more so I can make sure I'm eating enough all of the time! Unfortunately, my mom's current shape is also motivation to me, as she's rather overweight.

Allergist appointment next Tuesday at 6pm! I almost forgot.

PAX East was a blast. We made some better plans for next year so we don't get burnt out on waiting for raffles. Boyfriend was given some free earbuds, so those are mine since he broke mine ages ago. I got a free mouse pad, to replace the crappy one I have. Nothing huge, not like the graphics card I won last year, but it was a good time. We had a really fun time with some of our friends and got wasted Friday night.

I broke my Whole30 to drink and had 1/4 of a belgian waffle (IT WAS SO GOOD). Candida seems to be doing okay as a result, thank goodness. We're having Easter dinner at Boyfriend's parents' house today, just hoping his mom doesn't do anything weird to the ham, and there are some veggies on the side. She asked about my dietary restrictions and I just said "Anything that falls under 'meat and veggies' should be fine" so hopefully that's clear enough!

NoSaladWithoutMeat is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    We don't really celebrate Easter so I'm curious, what are the standard Easter dinner items?

Not a fan of waffles but I've been having wet dreams about pannekoeken. Have you ever had one? (Google at your own risk). I have no idea why out of all the things I've given up it's the only thing that haunts me (you'd think it'd be something less basic than a Dutch pancake... like a giant icecream cake or something!)

Oh, God. No. I hate pannekoeken Panne-who? What? When? Ew. Meat!

[This is my new strategy. Every time I think of "bad" foods I try to gross myself out or suppress the cravings!]
    "The penis is the male animal-flower, a soft-firm dildo, a warm dream."
    -Raymond Peat, PhD