Page 758 of 931 FirstFirst ... 258658708748756757758759760768808858 ... LastLast
Results 7,571 to 7,580 of 9310

Thread: Anxiety, depression, laziness...Can the nameless wonder change?

Shop Now
    Kelley Blue Book website has that car listed at a price of 14,000 in good condition (just picked a zip code in Mass). With 5k down and at 4.25% interest your payments should be about $167/month for 60 months. If you're financing through the dealership they'll let you know who needs to go on the loan. I would check on the 4.25%, that would be a good interest rate for if you borrowed from a bank to buy a used car, a dealership should be able to get you a better interest rate than that.

Kelley Blue Book
    If I just said LOL, I lied. Do or do not. There is no try.

I just spoke to Capitol One's auto loan people, they approved me at 3.36%, but they will only finance vehicles purchased from a specific list of dealerships. We're looking for a very specific car (2011-2013, Honda Civic, sedan, under 50k miles, manual transmission) so that's probably not going to work out. My application is valid for 45 days though.

Good to know that the dealership might be able to do better. I don't remember what Hulky's rate was on the current Civic when he bought it solo, with basically no credit history, but that was out in WY or somewhere. His '86 Thunderchicken died on the cross-country road trip home from Seattle and he decided to give up on it after several years of keeping it going.
    Journal
    Current interests - Starting Strength (reading it very slowly)

Depression Lies

Phew! Pumpkin has Giardia. We can pick up the Panacur from the vet anytime before 8 PM today. It should be pretty cheap (forgot to ask, but prices online look reasonable, maybe $20?), we mix the powder in with her food 1x daily for 5 days. Hopefully that clears up the smelly and bloody poop!

I'll worry about getting them back on raw after we move. For now, canned food will do. Also, I got a covered litter box the other day. They're using it with the door flap off for now, no problems there. I might try putting the flap on tomorrow. So far, Fae doesn't kick out as much litter as she usually does with the box mostly covered so that's good. I don't want to stress them out with changes too much right before the move!
    Journal

Depression Lies

My dog once had giardia... nasty smelly parasite!! Good riddance! Cooper was given a pill to take each day. We had to hide it in peanut butter... but then again, he's a dog, not a cat. I can't imagine giving a cat a pill... yikes!

Regarding cars. You can, in most cases, write a check for the down payment. In my experience, it's nice to go in pre-approved, but dealerships can usually get better rates if you're not picky about the lender. Credit unions tend to have better rates than banks. Often, you can buy the car at a decent rate and then continue shopping for a better rate and refinance. Brad and I recently did that. Since we bought new, we were eligible for certain perks through the manufacturer, but the interest rate sucked. We stuck around for 4 months so as not to lose our rebates, and then refinanced through a local credit union for 3% cheaper, which lowered our payment $75 a month for the same loan length. If you NEED a car right now, that's the route I'd go. If not, keep shopping for loans. It's also important to note you will tend to get a better deal if you ARE NOT trading another vehicle for the one you're buying.

Is there a reason why you're trading the car for a minor exhaust leak and squeaky fan motor? Around here, that becomes a "work car". Knowing that trading hurts the buyer, if you need a second car, or could use a second car, I'd keep it. It's paid off. You're not really losing anything by keeping a paid off car around. Just a thought since I recall you looking for a second car some time ago.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

$4k in repairs on a 9 yr old car is why we're replacing it. It's not just the squeaky fan, cracked catalytic converter, and exhaust manifold. If it was maybe under $2k, I think we'd consider investing more, but it just doesn't seem worth it.

As much as it would be a good idea to have a second car, it's not reasonable right now. We don't know when we're going to have our own place again (no room at my parents' for two), few apartments around here allow for two cars to park, and we can't afford to have two cars right now.
    Journal

Depression Lies

I think you're smart to trade or sell and get something different. Reliable transportation is important. If we could by with one vehicle I'd be all for it! It would sure save a lot in registration fee's and insurance!

I guess what I don't understand is why those things HAVE to be fixed. If they're not affecting how the vehicle operates (i.e. it's not leaving you stranded), then I don't see the reason for getting it fixed (aside from taking care of your stuff being the responsible thing to do).

Because all of the problems could last another 5 years, or it could blow tomorrow and the car would need even more in repairs. It's just not worth the risk to us.
    Journal

Depression Lies

I'm not sure who told you that a motor could blow b/c of a cracked catalytic converter and exhaust manifold, but ok. Good luck with the car shopping. I hope you find one you want with terms you like. Car shopping is fun except when it's a necessity.

PS How's Hulky been feeling lately. I might have missed the update. Is he doing well on his newest medication?

Shop Now
    We bought the car

So exciting.

It's getting detailed today (tons of key scratches on it, somebody must have been a TERRIBLE parker and somebody had an anger problem) and hopefully we can get it tomorrow. We decided on an acceptable trade-in offer and they went $50 over so we went for it. I'll probably write up a blog post about the whole experience, but we're keeping it a secret from our families right now. I want to surprise my parents. The last time they got a new car, my dad came over to pick me up under the pretense of having me listen to something on his car (project car, said he wanted another pair of ears to hear a weird noise), but voila, a new VW diesel Jetta. We had a lot of fun crawling around in the cars in the showroom. I want a minivan someday, they are so tricked out!

In health-related news...
    -I might have a cold? Either that or it's just awful ragweed allergies. My voice is scratchy today, throat hurts, and I feel more stuffed up than usual. I should start using the neti pot again.
    -I've been pooping dark green lately? I've just been using vit C and mag citrate for my constipation, not eating lots of greens (hardly any TBH). I stopped taking the chlorella (it was a half-hearted experiment) last week. I'm just going to give it time for now. I feel okay other than the potential cold and poor sleep (typical for start of my period).
    Journal

Depression Lies