Page 745 of 885 FirstFirst ... 245645695735743744745746747755795845 ... LastLast
Results 7,441 to 7,450 of 8847

Thread: Anxiety, depression, laziness...Can the nameless wonder change? page 745

namelesswonder is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I had coffee this morning so my brain is on over-drive. Time to make some lists!

Prepping for the move:
    • I'm going to start boxing up books and knick-knacks soon. Over the next few weekends, I'll start packing up different things and labeling boxes. Some boxes may be for long-term storage (doesn't need to be accessible in either a new apartment or my parents' house, if we move there). I will also spend some time boxing/organizing in my parents' attic so at the very least, we can easily stash some things in their crawl space. Most of the things that need long-term storage are mine anyway (things I want to be able to look back on in 10 yrs, nostalgic items or things with value).
    • We'll probably throw the black curb-find chair out soon. It's a favorite chair for the cats, but we won't have room for it wherever we end up moving.
    • My mom asked if she could use our full-size bed for my brother (since no room for it in a 1 BR unit or the attic, we'd be using Hulky's bed up there). He's been sleeping in the guest/computer room for a while because he likes the bigger bed. My mom wants to get rid of that futon and put the twin-size bed in there. I think that'll wait until later in August, but we can definitely move that before everything else. I told my brother to think about anything else he wants to do in his room (used to be mine, it's the most awesome dark purple color) to make it more "his". I'd love to do a make-over in there to make it more grown-up for him. The purple could totally work with some browns and greys, but I think he needs some better artwork & posters (esp. framed posters). I could sell the bed to her, but who knows, we might need it again someday. I don't mind loaning it out. We just need access to a truck/van or a car with a roof rack to move the bed pieces, since the headboard and footboard are pretty big (too tall to fit in a station wagon).
    • We can store some things in Hulky's parents' attic. Like the dining room table & chair set that came from there in the first place. Even with the leaf out, it'd probably be too big to use in a 1 BR unit (we would need a smaller folding table for the kitchen dining area probably). I might also see if I can clear up some space to store some boxes of things and the sideboard/desk. I don't want to put anything wood/with fabric in my parents' basement since it's super musty/wet down there.
    • I am finally bringing my bag of clothes to donate down to the Goodwill truck this week. I'll throw in my running shoes that are now too small as well. One less thing to worry about later.
    Journal
    Current interests - CrossFit

Cats: I solved the blood on stool issue. It was definitely Pumpkin. I added 1 TB of soaked chia seeds to their raw food mix (enough for 3-5 days depending on how much meat comes in the pack) and mixed in two chicken livers (so they each get one whole liver per week). No more blood and I can see that there's lots of hair in the stool. I think she was getting constipated trying to pass the hair instead of coughing it up as a hairball.

Also, I figured out that Fae has asthma! She rarely has an attack, but it sounds just like the cat in this video.
    Another Furball? Might Be Feline Asthma - Feline Nutrition
    Journal

Nellodee is online now Senior Member
    2 chicken livers a week? Hmm. Cat's health is just as important as person's health, but I wonder what that costs. How much do you spend on cat food? Maybe I should feed my cats better...
    Music of the day/week/month/whatever:

Kimya Dawson - The Competition https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJUDjMpgx8U

I never wanted to be better than my friends...

Even some chicken liver on top of a grain-free canned food diet for cats would be great, but one chicken liver per cat per week is probably plenty. There are nutrients in them that are really important, but you CAN have too much of them. I mix up a raw batch of food for my cats about twice a week. The supplements I'm currently including are L-Lysine, a B complex, and pre-soaked chia seeds, but I want to get some fish oil, Vit E, and taurine. Fae also needs some chondroitin and/or glucosamine for her arthritis (I ran out). I'm looking into decreasing that to once a week, but don't really have the freezer space for it. My recipe is based on info found at the below sites:

Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition :: healthy cat diet, making cat food, litter box, cat food, cat nutrition, cat urinary tract health
    Feline Nutrition

Total cost without supplements is probably $40/mo for two cats. Supplements last forever since I buy big bottles, so I haven't factored those in.
    Journal

Nellodee is online now Senior Member
    Thanks, nameless
    Music of the day/week/month/whatever:

Kimya Dawson - The Competition https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJUDjMpgx8U

I never wanted to be better than my friends...

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    What would you have to update your resume with that frequently?
    On USAJobs as a whole (take note for Hulky), your resume will not be looked at by a person until right before interviews are offered. What that means is that a computer reads your resume and looks for specific key words. So anytime you apply for a job, you have to update your resume to include specific verbiage or it'll be rejected by the computer system. Friday, I updated my resume with 19 bullet points that included word for word information from the job posting. If I hadn't, and had simply gone off of my own wording, my resume would be rejected in an instant and I'd lose an opportunity at that job.

When hundreds of people, sometimes thousands of people from across the country, apply for jobs, something else has to do the work b/c no human can/will sit through reading 1,000 resumes. A computer does it for them. Then another office will pick the first 100 or so approved resumes (so if you're resume number 101, you won't be considered - no joke... happened to me just last week) and will score those resumes based on the answers to the online questionnaire, comparing them to the resume. Those who are displaced by the federal system (through a RIF, BRAC, or other non-firing/non-quit issue) will be placed top on the list. Then those who are already in the federal system with 10 point preference and who are "experts" in their field (i.e. score 100 points) are next. Then comes the current federal employees with 10-point preference but scoring less than 100 points, then come those who are not current employees with 10 point preference (Hulky). If you make it through the computer cull and the CPAC cull, THEN your resume will go on to the local HR office, where it'll once again be reviewed for compatibility with the job. If it makes it through this cull, you'll be looked at by the hiring official/interviewer, who will decide based on your answers, if you're a good match. If you are, you're given an interview. By this point, there are usually only about 6 applicants left.

This is why it is so incredibly hard to enter the federal service.

In the federal system, resumes with proper grammar, that follow the two-page rule, and all IMPORTANT must-see info on page 1 don't matter. (I've seen a 25 sheet front/back printed resume before - no joke). If you don't have it written exactly how the computer wants it written, it will be kicked out.

People want in the federal system and if you're not lucky enough to already be there, it's next to impossible to get seen, much less hired. I only got on b/c I was a contractor working here and offered a job through a program called "Always a Soldier" which was a program designed to hire vets first - and you had to sign up to get considered. They had me turn in my resume and when an opening occured, they'd look through these resumes first. If no one could be found in those resumes, they'd post it outside the command. I got lucky. Very very lucky.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Thanks, Jenn. I always look at resume/application keywords when I put my resume together. I'll be sure to recommend that to Hulky as well.
    Journal

Night one million and three of broken sleep. If I hadn't needed to pee, I think I would have slept better, but it's also been cooler at night lately. I think I'll see if we can sleep with the fan instead of the AC tonight. The AC is just too muggy when it's just blowing air and not cooling. I can also see some mold developing inside it yet again.

I'm sure stress is the reason for the middle-of-the-night waking.

I think I will abandon the pro-active apartment hunt for this week while Hulky finishes up his Physics class.

Prioritizing is so helpful for anxiety.

Fae has been hobbling a lot lately. I ordered more Dasuqin for her. My poor arthritic kitty.

I didn't bike today, but I did all three sets of my chin-up attempts this morning! I've gotta pick up the pace if I want to be able to do a full chin-up by September. Moving is probably going to screw up my progress . I have to get back to being able to do a reasonably controlled negative so I can work from there.

Menstruation (TMI): I ordered some sea sponges to use for my cycle. They are good for about 6 cycles of use. You wet them, squeeze out excess water, bunch as small as possible, and insert as far in as you can; when ready for removal, you rinse & reinsert or clean and let dry. I'm looking to use them mostly overnight, since I would not be able to rinse them out at work to use when I'm bicycling (I doubt they'd last all day on a heavy day). I don't think they'll arrive for my heaviest days this cycle, but I'm looking forward to trying them out! They are easily cleaned with a bit of vinegar and/or rinsing and drying in sunlight, and/or soaking with a bit of tea tree oil. If anyone is interested in a brief review after I've tried them out, I'd be happy to share my findings.

I made some pretty spicy ribs using a dry rub the other day. They came out good, IMO, but Hulky said they were too hot to taste anything. I ate mine with acorn squash so that probably helped. He ate his with no accompaniments. Next time, I'll make a sauce and get ribs with bones.
    Journal

Trying to sort out my no shampoo protocol:

Initially, my baking soda & pre-boiled water, plus pre-boiled water & ACV, mix was great. I think it cut my natural oils too much though and it was too harsh after the first couple of weeks. I need to dial the BS way back to see if that works (maybe 1 tsp instead of 1 TB).

I tried washing my hair with honey a couple of days ago. 1 TB of raw honey, mixed into 3 TB of warm water, scrubbed into scalp, rinsed out. It left my hair with a weird residue. The ends are fairly soft, but there's a lot of sebum or something built-up on my scalp.

Honey Shampoo Updates and FAQs

How To Wash Your Hair With Clay | MommypotamusMommypotamus |
    http://wellnessmama.com/9321/detox-your-hair/
    I have bentonite clay. I might try this (and I have a hair oil that's a mix of jojoba and some other good things that I can add in. At the very least, I want my hair looking nice on Thursday when I take my one-month progress photo of hair growth.

Oh and the Macbook Air is finally wiped and ready for listing on eBay. I'll do that tonight.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Apparently, I'm racist.

Journal