Page 745 of 798 FirstFirst ... 245645695735743744745746747755795 ... LastLast
Results 7,441 to 7,450 of 7978

Thread: Anxiety, depression, laziness...Can the nameless wonder change? page 745

Zanna is offline Senior Member
    And also, ask for the money the job should pay and what you are worth. Most employers want you to put down current compensation so they can offer you a bit more than that and not what you should be paid. You can up your total compensation over what your actual salary is by rolling in the monetary costs of health benefits, etc.

namelesswonder is offline Senior Member
    We made some calls about apartments today. Fingers crossed we hear back soon. I just don't know if they'll approve us on my income alone. Maybe I should stop fighting the inevitability of moving in with my parents (temporarily) =\

Today, we bought Hulky some rollerblades and me some new sneakers. I noticed this week that my shoes don't fit well anymore. MY FEET GREW HALF A SIZE WTF. I thought maybe they got wider, but no, just longer. Maybe I am taller too? The new sneakers are Sketchers. Very comfy, firm enough for bicycling and TBH, not going to bother with minimalist running stuff until my shins start behaving.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Curing IBS-C with Vitamin C and magnesium citrate.

tomi is offline Senior Member
    I try to keep chocolate out of the house - cuz it messes with my tummy.
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

tomi is offline Senior Member
    Maybe not having any chocolate in the house is the best answer for you? I know I have to do that cuz I LOVE chocolate - but my tummy doesn't.
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

Yeah my healthcare premium is paid for by the company, so that would up my salary request at a new jorb if they don't do that.

Wow last night was terrible. Foul mood as soon as I got home. I didn't make dinner. I nibbled on some chocolate (I know I KNOW) late at night while watching Adventure Time and Bob's Burgers. Those shows are the best for bad moods. I took sleep aids, but STILL woke up SEVERAL times and had a lot of really crazy/scary dreams.

Rhetorical question: HOW DO YOU FIND JOBS?!

I got my resume mostly updated today, but will have my dad look at it. I don't think I'll post it anywhere until I get my Network+ certification. Once I'm ready to start looking, do I tell my current job? When do I tell them?

My first job after college was at a Sony retail store. After no bites for various applications sent out to IT related stuff after graduating, I got hired by the Sony store at the end of August. I am glad that I thought to look at other computer manufacturers, not just Apple (I made it into the last round of interviews, but then they said no thanks). When the Sony store was closing after I'd been there about 7 months, a co-worker's dad told me and the other technician that he had an open IT spot. Voila, that is how I got my job (thankfully the other tech was moving to MD so he passed on it and made me sound really good before leaving). The co-worker's dad, now my local supervisor, groomed me for the position, guided me through an unofficial phone interview, and even edited my resume for me. So even though this job has stagnated in some ways for me and is not progressing me in the speed I'd hoped (I really hoped I'd get a promotion this year and not just a good raise for the certification), it will be hard to leave. 3 years for someone my age is pretty good, I think.

At the very least, if not in a new position, I think I could be earning more elsewhere. I am good and I need more challenges and opportunities. One of the biggest complaints about this company by employees is that there's not a lot of room for internal growth. I think this is a large-ish company that still operates in a small-company mindset, which is good in some ways and bad in others.

Nellodee is offline Senior Member
    token vegetarian

TQP
    TQP is online now Senior Member

Anxiety, depression, laziness...Can the nameless wonder change?

I wouldn't tell the company I was looking for other jobs. I would give my 2 weeks notice once I accepted an offer elsewhere.

I was lucky enough to have gotten my summer law firm job by September of last year (patent job fair) while most of my friends were still scrambling, but they got their jobs through the school's job board, through business contacts they formed 1L year (this is why networking is key), and finally...most of them got it by "cold mailing" their resume and writing samples to a bunch of law firms they are interested in working for...by that I mean over 30-50 mailings.

I think you should do some "cold" mailings. What's the worst that can happen? Not get an interview and waste some time and stamps? Pfft. Also, I have been known to apply to jobs/fellowships/Etc I was 90+% sure I didn't qualify for only to be shocked when I got an interview and/or the job. Aim high...you never know. That's my motto anyway.

Craigslist can be a decent source too, depending on where you live. Isn't there a tech-specific job site too? I seem to remember my programming friends using a particular job search site, and said if I wanted to apply for an engineering job, to go there.

Edit: okay so it was rhetorical question... But my advice is still there, useless or not.
    Last edited by TQP; 07-20-2014 at 04:31 AM.

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    Rather than looking for companies that have job openings I would look for companies you'd like to work for (this takes a bit of research). Then I would target those companies, you may have to tailor your resume to fit the specific company. This approach puts you in the driver seat rather than responding to what's on offer. You approach the company whether or not they have a job opening listed.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I don't really care much about what my current company does, it just turned out to be a nice environment (relatively small office, good location, nice people).

I don't know of the tech specific job site, but I will look around.

The thing that worries me about just going with 2 weeks notice is I KNOW the office will be floundering without me. I am the sole desktop support person at the office. There isn't another office close enough that could loan someone out. My office doesn't really need a second of "me", but I don't know how quickly they would find a replacement. Hell, when the Sony store was closing, my first question as the "sorry you'll be out of a job in one month" meeting was "What do we do about the computers still out for repair or still here in the back room?" I want to make sure I leave with a good impression.