Page 73 of 749 FirstFirst ... 2363717273747583123173573 ... LastLast

Thread: Anxiety, depression, laziness...Can the nameless wonder change? page 73

fpsjosh01 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Oberg View Post
    Paleo dessert makes me a bit of a junkie, I make something and then end up eating it all much faster than I anticipate, and then just feel guilty because I ate a bunch of junk food. Its a vicious cycle, so if you do make paleo desserts, try to plan for freezing half or something, either that or I hope you have steel willpower!
    +1

It's true for me. I even find when my wife coconut flour breads porkchops, I get issues.
    Blag: The FPSJosh01 Ego Experience
    Follow me on google+
    Superraw: the Autism Buster blag
    "Don't spread the word, spread the butter"

unsuperb is offline Senior Member
    I haven't done it with dried figs, but with dates, soaking them ahead of time can allow them to be pulverized better (and I'd probably combine the figs with the eggs so there's a liquid base to blend them into).

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Hah, we'll see how my willpower turns out. I got myself to resist having more than one conventional brownie when I was still eating them, but they were big brownies. If these are made especially for me, I don't think I could resist. But maybe it wouldn't be such a bad thing to avoid sweets altogether but let myself have a "primal binge" day of primal sweets (a pan of delicious brownies) and treats (meatzza! because I think I'll mostly stay off dairy) every now and then. I've also found it much easier to stop myself from mini binges on things like almond butter and nuts (my only "treat" during the Whole30) lately, and recognizing when I'm eating blindly, without regard to actual hunger. Maybe it'll work out, we'll just have to see.

But right now, I really just want a pan of brownies.

Food: I made some delicious almond-flour crusted chicken breasts last night. Leftover drumsticks for lunch. Boyfriend has been feeling sick and the doctor said he's blocked up and has a bug, and should have more fiber (yeah, whatever, he has veggies with dinner every night). I say he should just eat more veggies, but take a laxative tonight to start from a clean slate. He's still on pain killers after all and those can cause constipation, so I don't think it's going to magically get fixed just by eating more fiber. Fuck doctors.

Sleep: I stayed up reading again, fell asleep with an earplug in. Boyfriend woke me up when he came to bed late and I felt very awake for a while so we chatted a bit and I'm not sure how much I ended up sleeping before the alarm went off (i don't know when he came to bed). I'm tired, but not worn out or exhausted. I told Boyfriend I'd go back to raiding in WoW once I am able to keep a good sleep schedule for a few weeks, and especially if they can change the times so it ends earlier. He said aloud "Best girlfriend ever" at some point in the night and I responded verbally in some manner...then he sounded very embarrassed and said he thought I'd been asleep! Awww... I think this injury, as awful as its been for him, has helped him learn to accept help from other people a little more.

Mood/focus: I'm only grinding gears in the car when I drive with Boyfriend now. I guess I just get extra nervous about how I'm driving since it's his car and I'm still not a really great driver. My focus isn't 100% and I wonder if I do need the 3 servings of probiotic a day, or it's the lack of Vitamin D (still waiting for the non-citrus kind to arrive). I wonder if I could take a double dose of the probiotic in the morning or evening so I don't have to worry about refrigerating it at work and forgetting it there. My new stock of Theanine came in so I'm starting on that again. Just gotta keep plugging away until my body hands me the answers. I'll do three doses a day of the probiotic this weekend again. I hope it does not create more problems if I am not super consistent with it =\

Exercise: The will is there, the motivation is not. I hope my baby biceps don't disappear!
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

fpsjosh01 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    so I don't think it's going to magically get fixed just by eating more fiber. Fuck doctors.
    Amen, Amen, Amen.

You're right. It's more effective to give up wheat than it is to take a laxitive, straight from Dr. William Davis's mouth.

Awww... I think this injury, as awful as its been for him, has helped him learn to accept help from other people a little more.

My focus isn't 100% and I wonder if I do need the 3 servings of probiotic a day, or it's the lack of Vitamin D (still waiting for the non-citrus kind to arrive).

Think I got enough today? XD. In all seriousness, it could be either, but it doesn't hurt to help what you can at this moment. Your Vitamin D could benefit from just walking outside or something. Even mark says to go outside for 15 minutes every day at least.

Exercise: The will is there, the motivation is not. I hope my baby biceps don't disappear!
    I might be the only guy on this forum who says to wait on exercise. If you feel like your body is missing something, you could benefit from putting the kettle bell down.

You don't have to push your body until it's ready.
    Blag: The FPSJosh01 Ego Experience
    Follow me on google+
    Superraw: the Autism Buster blag
    "Don't spread the word, spread the butter"

You're right, Josh, I am just so very impatient about most things It's a real problem when you work with computers...and they're all crappy and slow... Especially compared to my computer (i7 quad core processor, 8gb of RAM, solid state running Win7 and essential software like Office). I'm jaded, what can I say.

Maybe I'll just treat myself to some store-bought Kombucha at the end of the Whole30 but then I start to worry about the budget again. At the very least, I need a damned umbrella so I can go for walks in the rain. I've been avoiding my daily walk for months now and it's not like I don't dress appropriately for the weather so I really just need to get back out there!

Before I vanish for the weekend, some thoughts:

• I want to move to Seattle. Boyfriend was stationed near there for a year when he was in the Army and loved it out there. I think with outside time and Vitamin D, I could survive the rainy season (which is 3/4 of the year I guess). I've only been once, but I loved it. The aesthetics of the area really appealed to me. It also doesn' thurt that I have a historical romantic attraction to the place, since my parents met and lived there for some time. I looked up the average salary for my current position and it's just over my current salary, and the rent is MUCH cheaper for a comparable apartment (most are in complexes, which is preferable for security & allowing pets!). We are stuck around here until after graduation (2013 if all goes well) at least, and because this position expected at least a two-year commitment. And, you know, savings. I need those.
    • I am going to clean out my closet (and tidy up/sweep the apartment) this weekend. I am going to post listings for some shoes I have on eBay, and bring at least one pair in to an office raffle. The funds go towards our "Fun Committee" which organizes office outtings, lunches, etc., and any items not auctioned get donated. I have at least one pair of heels that I don't think will sell, so I'm going to bring those in (I wore them to senior prom for a total of no more than an hour before dancing barefoot). If I can't money for these things, I will at least have cleaned up some space and resisted the pack-rat gene once again.
    • I am going to visit the local farm the next town over this weekend to see what kind of prices they have for local produce, and hopefully find some fresh dairy and meat. I don't think they have dairy (and maybe not meat), but there is another farm not too far away (30min drive on the highway) that does, and they're open 7 days a week. They have fresh goats milk year round and I'd really like to try some! I will also go to Whole Foods to see if they have any local honey, but at this time of year, I don't expect to find any.
    • I will sleep in as late as I want because I deserve to be lazy. It's been another busy week!

Have a good weekend!

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post700790
    For my visit to the nutritionist this morning. She's nice. I did tell her that I follow the Paleo diet and she seemed fine with it. She just asked if I wanted to test corn and wheat, but I won't be doing either for a while, since the focus now is no sugar and keeping carbs above ketosis, but not much higher since starving yeast means low carb.

I finally got a copy of one of my lab reports. It shows Arabinose and Caroxycitric being high, HPHPA (Clostridia marker) and DHPPA (a beneficial bacteria) being low. http://www.greatplainslaboratory.com...0the%20OAT.pdf This is from the lab that ran my tests and explains what those levels indicate. I got the testing through the "Oxalate Metabolism" section. What's weird is that according to those descriptions, all of my other lab results indicate that I don't have a yeast overgrowth. I have an appointment to meet with the doctor that's been doing these tests with me in two weeks, and he may prescribe an anti-fungal. I will probably take it and continue doing what I'm doing. The plan is to pig out on fruits this week as much as I fucking want to, then cut back on sugar altogether starting next week for the rest of the month or however long I need to.

Stress: Boyfriend slipped on the stairs on Friday and caught himself wtih the injured arm. It is hurting so badly now that we're afraid he might have torn out the anchors they put in during surgery. If the pain doesn't get better, he's going to need the surgery again ASAP, and that means missing even more class (he's gone to one during these first two weeks). I'm afraid we're going to have to try to get out of our lease (but we have no where to go) if he has to take a leave of absence from school and try to find a job that doesn't involve lifting. These worries are leaving me feeling a lot more unhinged than I might otherwise be, but it could be that I do still need the Tyrosine. I'll probably try adding it back on Wednesday. I have to take Boyfriend to his appointment about this potential set-back Wednesday morning.

Sleep: I got enough sleep over the weekend, sleeping in when I wanted and was able to, but I felt too ramped up last night (worrying) so I stayed up to finish a book. I'm pretty tired today and really wish I had lunch.

Mood/Focus: See "Stress". Mood/focus has been otherwise good, but I am feeling very hopeless today. I have to stay later at work because of my appointment this morning so it's going to be an even longer wait till dinner. I just feel like crying and going back to bed.

Food: I bought some raw, unfiltered, unheated honey over the weekend. Fucking delicious. It reminds me of my childhood, eating fresh honey from my grandfather's bees. But I guess I can't have any after this week of delicious natural sugar bingeing in order to kill off the yeasties. I've had milk in smoothies for the past few days, makes my throat phlegmy and my stomach rebels a little like I'm going to need a quick trip to the bathroom, but otherwise, I seem to tolerate it. Honestly, I could live without it, but that won't stop me from finishing off the small bottle of "farm fresh" (pasturized, but local) whole milk I bought.

Budget: I went over budget because Boyfriend has so much less money than me and we needed groceries for the last "week" of the month. Sigh. Here's hoping February goes better. If it was in the budget, I'd give up on going primal for a while just to appease myself with pizza, but these pants are just fitting me again...

Exercise: I'm not gaining any muscle unless I lost more fat because I'm 123lbs as of this morning. Things look much the same to me. Yesterday I walked a huge basket of laundry 2-3 blocks from Boyfriend's parents' house to our apartment because we drove it over on Saturday, but walked over Sunday. My arms were burning at the end and my biceps, upper back, and under my arms on my sides are sore, but I was really proud to carry it without huffing and puffing the whole way (I was barely out of breath and my heart rate was fine). Last time I tried that (a few months ago probably), I didn't make it 3 houses.

canio6 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    I want to move to Seattle.
    I've only been to Seattle once but it was fantastic. I've always wanted to move there myself. I wish you luck.
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

I've only been there once, but I also thought it was fantastic. It helps that Boyfriend is completely gung-ho about a coastal swap someday (he's originally from the LA area, though not the nicer ones). BTW, when I see your signature, there's always a split second of "Who's talking to me?!" before I realize it's a signature ><

I broke my Whole30 yesterday with 1 1/2 hard apple ciders (Crispins? something gluten-free, almost like an apple wine, very dry, loved it). That was enough to get me drunk with sips taken for a Whose Line Is It Anyway drinking game. Boyfriend and I are working our way through all 8-9 seasons (I forget how many). It feels good to laugh so easily, and I'm not talking about when I'm drunk! No more alcohol for a while unless we go out for Valentines Day, but I doubt we will. Gin and vodka are allowed on an anti-yeast diet, so I guess that means gin & tonics or shots when I'm desperate hahah

Food: Crock pot fail, my guess is the chicken breasts only needed about 6 hrs since it was less chicken than a whole bird (which needs about 8, and that's how long I left it for). Technically I should not have the leftovers (fresh prepared food to keep histamine low & avoid mold exposure), and I prepared for the IF till dinner today by having some of my too-sweet vanilla whey protein powder (with milk and a banana) along with my omelette. It was sickeningly filling, I'm feeling much more sensitive to the sugar in fruit now. The eggs I got from the local farm are really tasty, very dense, but not as good as the ones I got from Maine. 2 dozen eggs doesn't last us a whole week when Boyfriend and I are both eating them, but at least the price is good for these.

On sugar: I have one banana and one sweet potato left. I will probably pick us up a big bag of regular potatoes when I shop this weekend so we can have occasional mashed potatoes and oven baked fries so I can try to keep my carbs up. I'm not sure how much I should limit the potatoes to keep my sugar consumption down. If I'm going to see if I have a reaction to citrus or tomatoes, I need to get some oranges and tomatoes this week, otherwise it's all going to wait until I've been doing the anti-yeast thing strictly for a while. Ideally, I get some diarrhea and that is a sign of my body finally getting rid of it. =\ I want to be able to start a regular honey habit for allergies before Spring comes around, but if Winter is just running late this year, I probably have a while for that.

Mood/focus: I managed to let the pizza cravings pass last night, but admittedly I did kind of replace that urge by drinking. I'd just had enough of everything and it was nice to be able to let go without a struggle. I feel a lot better today, but very jittery and not in a physical sense. I feel very nervous and unfocused when I speak to people and am finding myself flushing very easily, more so than usual. I believe flushing is a symptom of histamine intolerance, so I'm wondering if the increased sugar consumption lately (milk, fruit) is causing that. It could also just be from the alcohol last night.

Boyfriend thinks my moods are "all over the place" though. Sometimes I feel like I'm managing my stress very well, and sometimes I feel completely overwhelmed and cry and whine about "how much" I'm doing. Boyfriend got mad at me because he thinks it's "not that much", but I think mostly he feels hurt because there's so much he can't do without being in a lot of pain. Taking care of the apartment, cooking, and doing the shopping all on my own is not really "that much", even on top of working 40 hrs a week, but I think the reason for why I have to do it all (Boyfriend being hurt and not liking everything I make etc.) makes it more stressful for me. He'll just have to keep putting up with my whining for now.

Exercise: My arms were still very sore yesterday, but my legs feel achy today, like they want to move. I'm going outside to talk a walk around the parking lot soon and would like to do some squats & KB swings tonight.

Sleep: Boyfriend and I fell asleep very early, but I woke up around 10:45 PM and was wide awake. I cleaned up the apartment a little, read some more Dresden Files, and then Boyfriend tried to drag me back to bed only to find that he was wide awake too. We went to bed again around 1:30 AM. I don't feel too tired, since altogether I got enough sleep, but I definitely feel the interruption.

Symptoms: I had some heart burn when I woke up last night, probably from the alcohol. Still congested and with post nasal drip. My stomach seems to tolerate the milk I've been drinking okay, which is good, but I doubt I'll keep drinking it after this week. I'm feeling a bit itchy overall and especially "down there" and am wondering if I'm making the yeast overgrowth worse from my fruit consumption lately. Either that or it's moving to a more manageable place? Hah, probably not. I'm getting some acne on my back as well as some cyst-like acne in random places like my temple, below the hairline on the back of my head/neck, and just behind my ear. This is what treating myself gets me, I guess, but it'll be gone soon.

Supplements: I haven't taken any 5-HTP in a while and am sleeping fine without it. I feel like I want to focus on diet more before I add anything for moods, other than possibly adding by Tyrosine, but I'm still waiting to see if I feel like I really need it (so far, no). For the anti-yeast diet, I'm curious about pau d'arco, Quercetin, and oil of oregano, but I'm having a hard time finding much information about their efficacy (I generally go by reviews with details). Otherwise, I'll just keep taking the Vitamin C, ferritin chelate, Theanine, Vitamin D, and probiotic until my labs indicate a need for change.

Oh, so this is kind of cool. I'm going to do this free "biometrics screening" health thingy that's being offered for free through my work (lame, full of CW, but I get free testing). My blood test kit is being sent in the mail so within the next week, I will be sending out a sample to get my cholesterol and blood glucose tested. I'm excited! Here's hoping I have amazing results. And I didn't have to pay a $20 copay for it, hehe.