Page 698 of 931 FirstFirst ... 198598648688696697698699700708748798 ... LastLast
Results 6,971 to 6,980 of 9310

Thread: Anxiety, depression, laziness...Can the nameless wonder change?

Shop Now
    Tomi, get that kitty to a vet! If it's a behavioral thing, they do have something like kitty Prozac, but it could also be a parasite or allergies. Is she on a grain-free food?
    Journal
    Current interests - Starting Strength (reading it very slowly)

Depression Lies

no not grain free. Been feeding her the same food her whole life so don't think its the food. She's 11 years old and the problem started about 3 years ago. Never gets worse, doesn't really change at all. And she isn't bald, but has thinning in the areas affected. I can't find anything online that is similar to her type of hair loss.

Quote Originally Posted by tomi View Post
    no not grain free. Been feeding her the same food her whole life so don't think its the food. She's 11 years old and the problem started about 3 years ago. Never gets worse, doesn't really change at all. And she isn't bald, but has thinning in the areas affected. I can't find anything online that is similar to her type of hair loss.
    She could develop an allergy over time, happens to people too. If it was my kitty, I'd start a grain-free food at least. It could just be a neurotic thing, but you never know. I hope it's nothing serious!
    Journal

Depression Lies

I think its behavioral because there is not visible sign of skin irritation. I found this:

Finally, another major cause of hair loss is “psychogenic” alopecia. In other words, your cat is pulling or chewing out his fur due to psychological factors, such as nervousness, anxiety, fear, or stress. This condition is much more common than most people realize. Cats are very sensitive to their environment, and they do well when they’re on a steady, consistent routine. Virtually anything can stress out a cat: a new baby, another cat or pet, guests, a change in food, even a change in weather! Cats groom themselves as a way to relax. It provides them with a feeling of comfort. Think about the last time your cat did something foolish or klutzy, like misjudge a leap or accidentally tumble of the sofa. We might laugh, but the cat immediately grooms. Whether they feel embarrassment is debatable, but cat lovers recognize this reflexive grooming behavior in their cat whenever uncertainty arises. A cat that is chronically stressed may turn to excessive grooming as a means of dispelling his anxiety. In the past few years, veterinary behaviorists have come to realize that some cats and dogs exhibit signs of “obsessive-compulsive behavior”, and excessive grooming can sometimes fall into this category. If this is the case, there are anti-anxiety medications that are often very effective at controlling this problem.

Hair pulling and chewing behavior is a signal that something is wrong, and that your cat is uncomfortable. While it may not be very easy to find out why your cat is doing this, once we get to the root of the problem, treatment is often successful.

She started losing hair the same year we lost 2 of our dogs and shortly after losing 2 other cats. We went from 3 cats and 3 dogs to just her and Zeus within a years time. Perhaps I can find some kind of a topical that will deter the licking and pulling. I tried DE but didn't see much improvement. Will do more research. I don't want to drug her if I can find a better option.

Fae's behavior changed when we changed her food. She started showing much more affection and sought us out for pets & snuggles. There are a lot of links between mood disorders and wheat/grain consumption. Sorry, I know I'm pushing that, but it seems to me like a really simple thing to change and see what happens. Worst comes to worst, you just change back to the other food and donate/return the rest of the new.
    Journal

Depression Lies

Yes - I think I will investigate the no grain option. Like you said, its an easy thing to test out and if there is not improvement the at least I will have ruled it out.

Add to the list of weird things my body is doing this week: SUPER oily skin. I think this is what is causing my acne. I had skin like this as a teenager. PMS thing or something else? It's so oily that I'm leaving fingerprints all over my phone, much more than usual. Usually I do not have to rub the screen on my jeans after every use =\

I kind of don't want to get my hair trimmed just yet. It's been growing out at a good rate, but I don't want to sacrifice the length I've gotten in the back. I know I don't have to, but I think it might be a good idea just to make sure the style is even and will continue growing out nicely. It's been over two months since a real haircut and I trimmed a little off the back sometime in the last month so it wouldn't get mullet-y.

Wow today is going slooooow. 1.5 hrs left to my day!
    Journal

Depression Lies

I started some sewing projects last night. No chopping or sewing yet, just pinning and examining. There are two projects I want to do this weekend, the other is just disassembly for now because I have no ideas in mind.

Hulky stumbled in late last night so I ended up sleeping pretty poorly after getting woken up. The cats were racing around a bit too. I woke up with a sore throat and feeling very congested. Wet weather really screws up my allergies. Stupid mold.

I'm still on the fence about getting my hair trimmed. I'm just worried they'll mess it up and I'll have more negative feelings about growing it out.. I should probably just do it anyway.

I think ALL of my supplements arrived today, including Fae's! I have to figure out when I want to take everything, because I don't think it makes sense to take probiotics at the same time as the activated charcoal. I'm not sure if it makes sense to take the charcoal at the same time as the bentonite clay (before bed).
    Journal

Depression Lies

I'm doing as much reading as I can on activated charcoal and bentonite clay. I think I need to include fiber with these, at least initially, since I'm prone to constipation. I can pick up some chia seeds or psyllium husk at Whole Foods today.

After taking the charcoal last night, I had some gurgling in my intestines before bed that felt like gas moving around. Not painful, but weird.
    Journal

Depression Lies

Shop Now
    If you do any reading about the shooting in Isla Vista, CA (by UCSB), be prepared to have tea, pet snuggles, kisses, and hugs afterwards. It's awful. It's so fucked up. I feel so angry. Most of the articles I'm reading are focusing on the guns and not the fact that this kid was fucked in the head and our culture is SUPPORTING how he thought he was entitled to the lives and attention of others.
    Journal

Depression Lies