Page 691 of 931 FirstFirst ... 191591641681689690691692693701741791 ... LastLast
Results 6,901 to 6,910 of 9310

Thread: Anxiety, depression, laziness...Can the nameless wonder change?

Shop Now
    The private sector doesn't work the same as the army - not enough man power/cash flow to cover all jobs that way. Its a good idea - and certainly keeps things flowing - but most people only have enough time in their day to get their own job done, and taking on the tasks of another person would mean working a 16 hour day.

I accrue too. I accrue at a bit faster rate 1 1/2 days of annual leave and 1 day of sick leave a month. I don't tend to take leave very often, so it builds up kind of quickly. Mine carries over from year to year too (up to a certain number of hours, then I have to start using the excess hours or I risk losing them - there is no cap on sick leave). Brad gets 5 weeks of paid vacation a year... yes, five freaking weeks. He's given 3 weeks and can buy two more, so he does. He takes time off ALL the time. It seems excessive to me, but he's got the leave to take and he has to use it all before December 31, so they have to let him take it. Once we generate "use or lose" leave where I work, the leave takes priority and they HAVE to let us take it b/c the supervisor who denies the use of use or lose is in violation of the law (b/c losing leave is equivalent to an unauthorized pay cut). Things are definitely different here, but it never dawned on me that people in the civilian world are denied leave on such a regular basis that they have to worry about whether or not they can get the time off they want. Does your leave carry over to the next year?
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

No one said it was EASY to take on someone else's job or that there was time to do it... it just gets done, somehow. Priorities shift is one of the ways - lesser important "routine" things take a back seat to "fires". It works well. The budget cuts have severely impacted our workforce - retirees are not being backfilled, people who move on to other jobs are not being backfilled (hence the reason I'm doing payroll for the other office and why I'll be doing the job of the other gal who took a temporary position for 4 months), so our workloads have increased lately. It's just a matter of setting priorities and making sure the hot items get taken care of and the ones that can wait, wait. That's how we make it work when people go on vacation.

Riddle me this... what would happen if you got sick and had to take an extended leave period? Would your work go undone or would someone pick up the slack? Surely your company wouldn't collapse b/c you were gone. We recently had a guy who's daughter passed away. He was gone 4 weeks, unexpected, and the work got done b/c we had a system in place to cover him. I guess I don't see why private sectors don't have the same back up plans so that people can use their benefits when they see fit. Seems logical to me, actually.

I am the only one who can do my job in my office. I quite like it that way. Mostly we can cover for each other in terms of basic admin, but only I can do my core role. If I go on leave, I have to schedule it around the predictable ebbs and flows of my workload. If I had to take leave at a crucial point in the production schedule, then the magazine would go not get to press. If I am sick in those two-to-three weeks I come in regardless. Luckily, touch wood, it has never happened that I've needed compassionate leave or similar at the wrong time of year.
    My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60211.html Into RPG table top games? Check out FateStorm and (in development) Vanguard! 3D printed miniatures for sci-fi RPGs.

If I was out for an extended period of time, anything that required my feet on the ground would likely result in computers being shipped from other offices. Either that, or the development team would do their best to identify one of the loaner laptops and fix it for someone, but that's really not their job at all and most of them would have no idea what they were doing (they are focused on the ins and outs of software, while I focus on the end user experience; half of them don't know how to update Flash Player). Being the only "me" in my office makes me valuable. The office isn't large enough to require another support team member yet. I don't have a lot to do most of the time anyway.

I do wonder what will happen if I'm still in a similar position by the time I have kids.

My PTO carries over year to year, but I think the max you can accumulate is something like 300 hrs. I have ~42 right now. If I am still with the company by the end of this year, my intent is to accrue at least 80 hrs and get it above that by the end of the next year.

I could take time off and not get paid, thus saving the PTO, but that means my paycheck is short or I have to make up the time throughout that same week. You can't make up take in any week other than the one with the missed time.
    Journal
    Current interests - Starting Strength (reading it very slowly)

Depression Lies

I didn't mean to imply it was easy, Jenn. Just saying the private sector doesn't work quite as efficiently as what you've described. My personal work is not so specialized that someone else couldn't do it ....... but everyone else is working at peak capacity, so no one has time to pick up other peoples work. In a real emergency type absence I'm sure we would figure it all out. The manager would pick up the mail/deposit portion of my job - and one of the MAs could pick up the abstracting of patient charts. I'm certainly not indispensable! Just saying it would really put a burden on them. If I have to take time off for whatever reason I give the scheduling desk as much time as possible to schedule new patients during my absence - and then I can have it all done before I'm gone. The manager cringes when I need to be gone for more than a day or 2 because he has to find time to do the mail and deposits. I only work 12-15 hours a week........ but if I'm not there to work those hours, then someone else is going to have to work those hours. In most offices there is no "fluff" to be pushed to side. In a doctors office everything is important - patients needs appointments, Rx's filled, prior authorization forms completed, vitals taken, phones to answer.... blah blah blah. Its always go go go in our office. I cringe every time I need to ask for time off. I can't imagine working full time and needing to be away! Well, I can imagine - cuz I used to work full time. No one could do my job back then. I was the only Clinical Research Coordinator in the office and no one else was authorized to do my work due to contracts. I also did the majority of the administrative work back then and no one else was allowed access to that part of the office. You can't let just anyone have access to financial and business dealings. So - if I was gone for a week - I'd come back to a weeks worth of mail and a full message box and emails up the waaazooo!

Sleep - I took the Benadryl at 10 PM last night and while Hulky and I chatted in bed for a while, I think I woke up less groggy today. I still felt like I woke up during a dream though. I think I might have to ditch the nighttime Benadryl altogether so it doesn't affect my motivation to bike to work. If I am woken by allergy symptoms, I'll resume taking it, but I don't expect that will happen.

Body - I feel pretty damn positive about my appearance today. I feel efficient for having cycled to work and making good time. I pushed myself on part of the ride because there was a cyclist behind me. My muscles feel nice and worked.

Mood - My mood has been continually improving this week, after a low spot last week. Sex drive is up, cognitive function feels good, anxiety is fairly low with only some situational anxiety. I have no idea what changed, but I'm not complaining.

Gut - I realized that it's probably better for me to take magnesium but not to rely on it for my gut motility. It has not been working well lately, probably from the DE. I will take cascara sagrada nightly for probably about a week starting tonight and then see what happens without it. Diatomaceous earth draws in water (have to drink more in order to avoid constipation) and osmotic laxatives (like Vit C and mag citrate) work by drawing water into the gut. It's probably best not to cause that conflict of interests in my body, especially when I'm being active and need to hydrate. I am still making an effort to drink more water than usual. I am not sure when to take my Primal Defense probiotic, or whether I should take it on an empty stomach or with meals.
    Journal

Depression Lies

Quote Originally Posted by tomi View Post
    I didn't mean to imply it was easy, Jenn. Just saying the private sector doesn't work quite as efficiently as what you've described. My personal work is not so specialized that someone else couldn't do it ....... but everyone else is working at peak capacity, so no one has time to pick up other peoples work. In a real emergency type absence I'm sure we would figure it all out. The manager would pick up the mail/deposit portion of my job - and one of the MAs could pick up the abstracting of patient charts. I'm certainly not indispensable! Just saying it would really put a burden on them. If I have to take time off for whatever reason I give the scheduling desk as much time as possible to schedule new patients during my absence - and then I can have it all done before I'm gone. The manager cringes when I need to be gone for more than a day or 2 because he has to find time to do the mail and deposits. I only work 12-15 hours a week........ but if I'm not there to work those hours, then someone else is going to have to work those hours. In most offices there is no "fluff" to be pushed to side. In a doctors office everything is important - patients needs appointments, Rx's filled, prior authorization forms completed, vitals taken, phones to answer.... blah blah blah. Its always go go go in our office. I cringe every time I need to ask for time off. I can't imagine working full time and needing to be away! Well, I can imagine - cuz I used to work full time. No one could do my job back then. I was the only Clinical Research Coordinator in the office and no one else was authorized to do my work due to contracts. I also did the majority of the administrative work back then and no one else was allowed access to that part of the office. You can't let just anyone have access to financial and business dealings. So - if I was gone for a week - I'd come back to a weeks worth of mail and a full message box and emails up the waaazooo!
    I do feel guilty if I put in for leave too freuquently... recently I've taken a few half days or little chunks of time off (less than an hour) and I start to feel bad about it, but my work is always caught up and I have the leave to use (I'm over 100 hours of leave currently, not including sick time). I don't take much time in the winter months (b/c what's there to do in Iowa in the winter, except enjoy extra days around Christmas/New Year), but I take more in the summer months - a lot more half days and usually an extra day around holidays. Which reminds me... I have to submit a leave request for the day after Memorial Day. Brad wants to go fishing.

I think I need to take magnesium again. Not for gut health or anything like that, but to improve my sleep. My sleep has been very wonky since the marathon (but my diet has been way off since the marathon too, so it could be either of the two things that are at fault).

Notes to self: re: bike maintenance
    -Get brake pad size/type & order new sets
    -Set up time to clean & re-pack bearings with my dad (chance of rain all weekend & next week, so will have to wait; garage is too messy to do it under cover)
    -Borrow crescent wrenches to slide bike saddle back just a little

Hulky's mom said to me as we were leaving on Sunday, "You're looking thin!" I said, "Okay?" She said, "That's a good thing!" I said, "...Okay?" I laughed and Hulky said that she tells him that all the time (about him, though his weight rarely fluctuates within 5 lbs). I think she's probably dealing with her own weight struggles and it makes me uncomfortable when she projects them onto me. I know that sounds like I'm overreacting, but there's relevant context to it. She's said I look thin before and it didn't bother me so much this time because: I'm not as thin as I have been since she first met me .

My boss hasn't responded yet, but he's still out of the office. Not returning till next week.
    Journal

Depression Lies

Shop Now
    Cats: Pumpkin has not been eating much the past couple of days. She didn't eat anything in the evening last night. I fed her twice this morning with small amounts of kibble & a teaspoon of raw food. Hulky will have to finish feeding her when he gets up. Fae is still a jealous eater, so she's eating kind of slowly and begging for Pumpkin's food. I distract Fae with a kibble, given as a treat (I hold it above her head and say "Up!" and she goes up on her hind legs and gently bats my hand, then I put the kibble on top of her food), then go feed Pumpkin behind closed doors. If Pumpkin's peckish eating continues, we will probably take her to the vet and I am sure they will want to do bloodwork =\. I've never even done bloodwork for Fae (though maybe I should at this point, she's pretty old & still fairly overweight).

That's money I don't want to have to think about spending.

Food: Mmmm I bought steaks this week and made them last night. It's been a while since I made steak so I burned the oil on the first attempt (just heating up the pan) and then both came out well done. Oh well, it was still tasty enough. I'm having the second one for lunch today since Hulky wasn't feeling well last night. Breakfast today is oatmeal-banana cookies with chocolate chips (I had a craving). The bananas were bigger than usual so the cookies came out too soft to hold shape. I should have added more oatmeal. No idea what dinner will be tonight, but I'll have to quick defrost because I forgot to put something in the fridge last night.

We went on a snack run last night and I got some macarons at Trader Joes. They will never live up to the big ones I had from Harrods in London, but they are still tasty. The vanilla ones are AMAZING. Hulky made cookies pretty late so the kitchen was still a mess in the morning. No more late-baking when he's not well enough to clean up. I HATE waking up to a full sink.

Sleep: No Benadryl last night. I woke up once around midnight and thought it must be early morning by then. I felt like my alarm was going to go off soon. That was really weird. Hulky slept like poo. I felt somewhat groggy this morning, but not awful.

Chance of rain, so no bicycling. Next week looks like rain
    Last edited by namelesswonder; 03-30-2015 at 06:39 AM.
    Journal

Depression Lies