Page 68 of 750 FirstFirst ... 1858666768697078118168568 ... LastLast

Thread: Anxiety, depression, laziness...Can the nameless wonder change? page 68

SweetPickles is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I hear you on the morning light thing. Our bedroom windows face west, so I've really been thinking about that Phillips alarm clock that wakes you gently with light.

That has to be so hard not being able to get your dad on board after his heart attack. I'm really sorry. I have a good friend who is 60 and just had his second heart attack...and has become vegan as a result. It makes me so sad. There is no way I could convince him to take a big leap in terms of his health and try primal...from his perspective he thinks being vegan is his only chance. Anyway, he's a good friend...I can't imagine what it would be like to have a parent in that situation.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    I think I might have a better chance if there wasn't the whole "it's the genes" factor. My grandfather had open heart surgery in the 80s, at least one heart attack, and died of a stroke while in the hospital for heart problems. My grandmother (his mom) has had at least one heart attack and is on statins and whatnot too. Despite her relatively poor health, she's 85 and still very lucid (I wish I had her memory, she remembers her childhood like it was yesterday, but recent events are harder for her), and probably determined to keep kicking until she sees me or my sister married.

Someone on the forums pointed me in the direction of "histamine intolerance". Some quick searching revealed that it sounds VERY much like me, with practically every symptom before I went primal, and still most of them since after. I wonder if my migraines are in fact related to my food intake? I already know my histamine levels were high, now I have to figure how to lower them since I am still clearly fighting something (congestion & post nasal drip). This is encouraging, but I am keeping in mind that I don't want to just adopt another diagnosis without plenty of information. I felt just as convinced about adrenal fatigue, though admittedly I knew I didn't fit very many of the symptoms, mostly just the fatigue.

Budget: We're nearing the end of the 3rd week of January. I took a big hit with supplements at the start of the month (specific brands of Vitamin C, Ferritin Chelate, and a 100billion strain probiotic powder), and I bought plane tickets to Maryland for Marc. If it weren't for those expenses, I would have saved up almost as much as is possible after the essentials (gas for the car, utilities that I cover for the apartment, groceries), minus a couple of medical expenses. Now I've run into a couple of problems: I just got the bill for what my insurance won't cover for the adrenal testing - ~$140. Not bad, since the full cost was closer to $500! But that's about as much money as I have for the rest of the month, and the bill is due by February 10th. Boyfriend should be able to cover groceries, and we really just need a little bit more meat (my vote is ground beef & pork) and some frozen veggies to make it through the last week and few days of the month. I think I'll wait until my first February paycheck (the 3rd), pay the bill, and continue with my strict budget plan through February. So this month ends with probably little to no savings, depending on whether I stock up on Theanine (I'm just about out) now or wait.

Symptoms: Congestion and post-nasal drip. I thought I had some deep lower abdominal pain last night and this morning and assumed it was gas. Well I definitely had the pain, but I think it's from the core exercises I did last night! My triceps are also sore from some planks. I was reminded that my left side is MUCH weaker than my right last night when I tried to do some overheard presses with the kettlebell. I managed to do two on my right and could not even do one on my left! I went through the motions using my right hand to assist anyway. Next time I start on the left and just let myself tremble until I can manage one (y'know, a few weeks later).

My landlady doesn't want me drilling holes and I don't want to go to the cold playground to do pull-ups so my pull-up challenge is not starting off well I guess I can use a broom handle and two chairs to pull myself off the floor for now, but I think I'll take a break from all exercise attempts until the soreness in my back and lower abdomen goes away. I can probably still do squats, but without swinging the KB.

Food: I was hungry but too frustrated to eat this morning (getting sick of steak, but that's all I have prepared). I will try to eat before lunchtime and that should hold me over until dinner, which should be sushi. I will start implementing any other restrictions needed to keep a low histamine diet for the rest of the month today, which sadly means no more tea, almond butter, or bananas. There may be a supplement I can take that will help with the symptoms, but I need to read more to determine if it just blocks something or helps me process higher histamine foods.

Sleep: I didn't get to bed till 11:30 last night, BUT I GOT UP AT MY ALARM AT 7:30! I woke up before it, probably close to 7 as usual, and forced myself to stare at the wall for a while. Then the alarm went off, I got up, shut it off, and went to shower without even thinking about it. It's only two days in a row, I know, but I'm very proud of myself. Of course I wasted the extra time by dinking around on the internet until 8, then I showered heh.

Mood/Focus: So far, so good, but it's early and I have a family dinner tonight. I think I'll take a GABA Calm an hour before dinner.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

canio6 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    My landlady doesn't want me drilling holes and I don't want to go to the cold playground to do pull-ups so my pull-up challenge is not starting off well .
    They make door mounted pull up bars. http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Fitne.../dp/B00029A7C0

About $30 on Amazon. Maybe not idea with your surprise medical bill but it beats going out in the cold.
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

^I actually bought a similar one, but the door frames are too thick (7 1/2") for it to fit around. Plus the molding is 2 1/2" deep! Based on the reviews on Amazon for this particular one, it doesn't fit anything thicker than 6".

MikkiB is offline Senior Member
    With 4 kids, we pinch all our pennies, and one thing we do to keep grocery bills down is to always buy the meat that is on sale, and frequently troll for the 'red-tagged' meat that has to be sold within a day or two. If you're willing to have flexible meal plans and eat what's cheap instead of what sounds appealing, you can get almost all your meat up to half price. I think that's about the only way we can afford the primo uncured bacon LOL.

We have a door mounted pullup bar too. I should use it :}

canio6 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    ^I actually bought a similar one, but the door frames are too thick (7 1/2") for it to fit around. Plus the molding is 2 1/2" deep! Based on the reviews on Amazon for this particular one, it doesn't fit anything thicker than 6".
    Well, that is the suck.
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    Cutting the grains out will help a lot with the depression. I was depressed frequently when I was your age also but managed to grow out of it, somewhat. I've learned over the years that depression is partly environmental/psychological-- ie, you, your life, what's going on around you, etc-- and partly physical. You can change both areas & be as happy as you want to be. But if you have an unhealthy lifestyle it will be harder to find the energy to create the life around you that you need and deserve in order to be happy.

Try eliminating wheat especially for several months, eat animal protein and also add healthy fats like butter & omega 3s. For some of the emotional stuff you might try flower essences. Bach is good, FES also. Both can be found at most Whole Foods.

fpsjosh01 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fiercehunter View Post
    Cutting the grains out will help a lot with the depression. I was depressed frequently when I was your age also but managed to grow out of it, somewhat. I've learned over the years that depression is partly environmental/psychological-- ie, you, your life, what's going on around you, etc-- and partly physical. You can change both areas & be as happy as you want to be. But if you have an unhealthy lifestyle it will be harder to find the energy to create the life around you that you need and deserve in order to be happy.

Try eliminating wheat especially for several months, eat animal protein and also add healthy fats like butter & omega 3s. For some of the emotional stuff you might try flower essences. Bach is good, FES also. Both can be found at most Whole Foods.
    What this person said. Follow gaps and add take your probiotic. I can't even stress how much happier I am now.
    Blag: The FPSJosh01 Ego Experience
    Follow me on google+
    Superraw: the Autism Buster blag
    "Don't spread the word, spread the butter"

ottercat is offline Senior Member
    ^ +100. I didn't even realize self-loathing and suicidal ideation were considered abnormal until I was about 21. Looking back, my diet was horrendous. Part of it was living off-campus and not having a car (broke, hard to get groceries), part of it was that Low-Fat was still the accepted healthy way of eating. I'd definitely prioritize good, real food and clean diet over supps (except maybe Vitamin D).
    Cooking Primal with Otter - Journal
    Otter's (Defunct) Primal Log
    "Not baked goods, Professor, baked bads!" ~ The Tick

There are so many factors, it's hard to determine where to begin. What if I am 100% grainless (except for maybe white rice) for 3 months and cheat in other areas, like with added sugar or high histamine food? I am afraid to restrict myself so much because it adds stress by limiting what meals I can share with my boyfriend, who I cook for right now at least once a day. When he is able to cook again (use his left arm), I am afraid of restricting HIM because of what I can't eat. There are so many supplements out there that seem like they could maybe help me, but I don't know what to start with. DLPA seems like it could help (increased endorphin production to curb cravings), sam-e seems like it could help (enzyme that helps in digestion as well as anti-depressant properties), more 5-HTP seems like it might help, but maybe I should just take melatonin for the sleep issues and the list goes on...

I would really like to keep my Whole30 going past January, but add back in eggs and cut out high histamine foods that I haven't already (some fruits that I've been eating, spinach, avocado, nuts, nightshades), and add LOTS more probiotic (can it...hurt?). If I don't dedicate myself to it like I did this month, with the support thread, I feel like I will not stick with it. I don't want to go without supplements at all because some of the ones I've been taking have brought about the only improvement in that area of my mental health that I've felt EVER (Tyrosine for anxiety & focus especially, 5-HTP for depression & sleep initially but not so much now). I'm not trying to replace food with supplements, it's just the food doesn't seem to be enough. Could it really be that the 80% primal I've been doing for the past 5 months prior to this month was not enough for me? I feel like the clouds should've lifted by now if I didn't need supplementation.

GAPS...I love it. I really do. I won't do it. "There is never an ideal time for anything", I know, my own words, and I live by them, but right now, I will not do it. I know me, and it's just too much to think about right now. For now I'll just keep doing what I'm doing and hope I can make a decision before the end of the month.
    Last edited by namelesswonder; 01-19-2012 at 11:58 AM.