Page 632 of 884 FirstFirst ... 132532582622630631632633634642682732 ... LastLast
Results 6,311 to 6,320 of 8833

Thread: Anxiety, depression, laziness...Can the nameless wonder change? page 632

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Ha! I had the same thought.

namelesswonder is offline Senior Member
    Hahha I'm pretty proud of that photobomb.
    Journal
    Current interests - CrossFit

I've got a pork butt in the slow cooker, slathered in spices, on high for 3-4 hrs. Hopefully that will be enough to cook it. I found a pretty reasonable BBQ sauce (no HFCS, gluten, soy, corn, dairy) that will get mixed in once it is shreddable.
    Journal

Cooking a hunk of pork on high (for less time) is apparently not a good call for pulled pork. It was cooked, but too tough to shred easily. Phooey, no more rushing that recipe. It was still good, but the flavor is basically all BBQ sauce. We got groceries yesterday and I might have to pick up a couple of things before the week is out, but we are under budget, just barely.

Gut - I bought the cascara sagrada on Friday, but it's too early for me to comment on its efficacy. I'll report later in the week.

Mood - I still feel "delicate", like things upset me too easily, but that feeling has been lingering for the past month or more so it's not just the recent anxiety. I am definitely under a lot of "general" stress, but I feel like I should be able to handle it better.

Sleep - I had a hard time falling asleep last night so I took some potato starch & Threelac. I woke up to a gurgly stomach, way too early, but the PS definitely helped me get to sleep. I don't know what to do with this gut of mine. I did not miss the PS-induced nightmares.

Body - I did a short workout yesterday. I did my pull-up routine (hang on the bar, bent over rows with 15 lb kettlebell, kettlebell swings) with no breaks, so each set had less reps than the last. I did it all about 3 times and everything is a bit sore today. It feels good . This is a workout I could do while cooking dinner! I like not having to set aside time to exercise.

I had a long conversation with a co-worker about job options. He might be able to get me in with a different tech team within the company. They may or may not require me to move and it would be either to Santa Barbara CA or Raleigh NC. No complaints with either location! The job-move would definitely result in a pay bump. The thing is, I have no idea if I'm qualified for the gig. I'm a good hands-on learner, but most people don't want to spend the time training. I guess we'll see what happens this summer, I don't think anything could happen sooner than that. First things first: A+ certification.
    Journal

tomi is online now Senior Member
    Most meats are best cooked "low and slow" -- high heat tends to lock together to fibers making it tough as show leather. My quick meal options are always eggs or ground beef. You can cook a hamburger patty in 15 minutes

I wonder if your mood has something to do with the upcoming trip? I always get edgy when I know I'm going to travel because I don't trust my gut to behave itself while I'm gone and supposed to be having FUN. So I tend to get all nervous and emotionally tender.

I'd vote for Santa Barbara if you have a choice! NC is hurricane country. Santa Barbara is very nice!
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

Lesson learned on the low & slow count. I don't know why I take screw-ups so badly, but I had a hard time not being pretty upset about getting it wrong. I mean, it's still perfectly edible, just not how it was supposed to be. Hulky is very good about heaping on the praise when I cook now. I appreciate it since I am cooking about 95% of the time for us and it can be pretty stressful. He does intend to take over more of that once he's recovered from this illness.

Good point on the travel + anxiety, Tomi. I am definitely nervous/excited about it and that is probably going to have an impact on my gut (I have a very active bowel the day before girl's night haha). Something to keep in mind. I feel like this general anxiety started before I really started to worry about the honeymoon though.

I got to spend a work week in Santa Barbara for job training a couple of years ago and I loved it . Mild temps all year round, aahhh. Of course, drought is sometimes a concern (and fires). It's pretty bike-friendly there, though maybe not if I was going to be biking to the corporate headquarters. I think the cost of living is pretty high. NC would be cheaper.

I'm on the hunt for my supplements for the next month. I want to try Prescript Assist, but it's so expensive =\. Maybe there is a cheaper SBO probiotic I can try.
    Journal

tomi is online now Senior Member
    One nice thing about pork.......... if there is any left - you can always drop it in the slow cooker (crockpot) with a little water and some seasonings and let it tenderize. A vinegar based sauce will help the process. Like a legal BBQ sauce.

Yes, I think your anxiety has been hanging around for 2-3 months now. Seems like you were doing well on 5HTP, but you stopped taking that a while back. My doctor put me on DHEA for mood issues - you might look into that.
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

The 5-HTP wasn't helping in the right way anymore since last fall. It also serves to treat my depression rather than my anxiety. This is different, anxiety without any depression (for the most part). It's not the same as what I've experienced before anyway, which is why I feel like the cause is different.

From what I'm reading, DHEA affects the adrenals, which supports my concerns about not eating enough. If DHEA helped me, it would probably mean I am on my way to some kind of adrenal fatigue.
    Journal

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    More food and carbs?

You know, 'cause that's what I am into right now.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebbles67 View Post
    More food and carbs?

You know, 'cause that's what I am into right now.
    Haha yeah that is probably the answer I need to replace my daily clementines as I've noticed my hands start to ache after I eat them =\ I can only eat bananas if they are far separated from other foods or I get gas & bloating. So...time for new fruits!
    Journal