Page 583 of 797 FirstFirst ... 83483533573581582583584585593633683 ... LastLast
Results 5,821 to 5,830 of 7964

Thread: Anxiety, depression, laziness...Can the nameless wonder change? page 583

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    Ugh, I don't want to think about last night anymore. I got so sick.

5-8" of snow expected tomorrow. I think the office will be closed, which means working from home & troubleshooting the VPN with other users all day. To prepare, I am going to the grocery store later today for onions, mushrooms, bananas, and clementines. I should still have enough potatoes that I can make both leftover turkey soup (I figure if I reheat it in a soup, it's probably okay at a week old) and ham & potato soup. I think I'll be making ham stock tonight. Hulky doesn't really like celery so I'll probably just leave it out. I think I might get some cream to make the soups richer.

Money is really tight this month. Hulky doesn't get paid as much this month because classes don't resume until the 13th AND his living stipend got reduced by $200/mo for some reason. It's a good thing his car is nearly paid off. This will also be the first month of the extra cost per paycheck of the premiere health plan we picked.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Curing IBS-C with Vitamin C and magnesium citrate.

The TMI post you've all been waiting for

Okay, so this post is going to be TMI all about my vagina's issues. If you have had any issues with yeast or BV in the past or currently, I highly encourage you to read it. I am not going to be shy about this, so hey, if non-vagina-equipped people read it, it's just more than they probably ever wanted to know about my body. Maybe there's a vagina-equipped person in their life for which this information could be useful.

In mid-November, I noticed some vaginal odor and recognized it as a bacterial vaginosis infection. I'd had it before in college & learned then that yeast infections smell a bit like bread and BV smells like fish. Ew. Way to put a damper on the sex drive! Neither necessarily needs to have odd discharge, and sometimes you can have odd discharge without the odor, but still have an infection. I saw the nurse practitioner that I usually see, she prescribed me with a week of pills to take. It did knock out the infection, but I was left with some external itching and irritation. Subsequent tests did not reveal presence of BV or yeast infection, but I took two courses of Diflucan (prescribed with the previous antibiotic) just in case. That didn't help.

That leads us to the past month+ of discomfort. I tried using coconut oil for relief (helped, but short lived, also weird to smell coconuts down there). I tried Vitamin E. I bought size 00 capsules & boric acid after reading about it and used it for one night as a vaginal suppository (do NOT ingest it!). It creates some very watery discharge, so if you use it, be prepared with pantiliners the next day. I think I let it sit on my external skin from the discharge and I found some peeling skin on my inner labia & freaked out. That's when my doctor prescribed Metronidazole cream, which I used nightly for one week (inserted it vaginally with the prescribed applicators). It relieved the itch only for as long as I was using it. The day after the last dose, I was itchy again.

I went back again and this time my doctor TOLD me to use the boric acid capsules. I'd read about them on Vulvapedia and some other online message boards. Vulvapedia She said one a night for 3 nights, then twice a week for a couple of weeks/as needed. I waited until my period ended & then tried it. I ran into the same issue of peeling skin AND by the second night, I had INTENSE pain at the vaginal opening as well as some fresh bleeding from inside! This was last week. I discontinued use of any treatment and started wearing Hulky's boxers with loose pants. I slept in the boxers too. I used a blow dryer on my crotch after showers, with the cooling setting on. That helped a surprising amount. By the second day, I was feeling almost all better AND the itch was severely reduced! The third day: no pain, itch was even less. Fourth day: the itch seemed gone except for a couple twinges throughout the day. I don't know what day we're at now, but the itch is finally gone!

My appointment with the nurse practitioner at this new facility was GREAT. She seemed really impressed by my knowledge of all this. She said my vaginal tissue looked REALLY healthy (she sounded really psyched about it so I felt quite proud haha). We both came to the conclusion that the boric acid worked in wiping out whatever imbalance was present, but it was probably just too much for my already compromised tissues at the time. She said she would rather have me come in to verify any future infections (pretty easy to diagnose at home based on discharge/odor), but the boric acid is perfectly fine for me to use on my own. I didn't ask about using coconut oil, but I think I will mix boric acid and coconut oil 1:1 in some capsules to have some on hand (something I read about in some online communities to reduce the severity of the boric acid). In a jar with a silica powder packet, they should last for years. The NP was not concerned about repeat infection, basically told me we'll deal with that if/when it happens. I am continuing to use the cool blowdryer under her advisement. I had sex last night and everything felt fine . I'm going to make sure to always wash up after (I am a gross person apparently and feel like this shouldn't be necessary), even if only with a washcloth and not a full shower.

So quick lesson: vaginas are acidic environments. The boric acid helps to re-acidify the vagina so that the natural bacteria balance can normalize. Whatever imbalance that was present was not candida or whatever creates BV, so the doctors couldn't identify it. They call it "non-specific vaginosis". Aka. something is wrong with your vag's flora, but we don't know what . To be fair, there's probably a lot of bacteria down there and they really don't know what's supposed to be present except for some amounts of yeast. Semen is alkaline/basic, the opposite of acidic. For people with compromised immune systems, introducing semen into the vaginal environment too often/at all could lead to bacterial imbalances & subsequent infections, though a healthy vagina should be able to rebalance on its own. When I was using birth control pills in college, I do believe this was a factor for my frequent infections. I told Hulky that our gameplan for now is a) make sure I am always well lubricated (doc gave me some medical lubricant packs haha, but I'll look for something non-irritating & unscented to purchase in larger quantities) and b) always have him withdraw. I think this will help a lot with my vaginal health. I have read that some people use a boric acid capsule after sex, but I don't think I'll go there unless I run into more issues.

Important addendum: Make sure to treat your partner if you are not using barrier methods (condoms) for sex. My infections never came up as anything when the doctor tested, but they can only test for known STI's, yeast, and bacterial vaginosis. Since we had sex one time after I was symptom free (honestly should have given it a few more days! there are other things we could have done...) and the next day I was itchy again, Hulky probably needs to be treated too. We're going to try a few nights of Monistat on him and I just made some boric acid & coconut oil suppositories to try out. As long as the coconut oil is in liquid state, it's pretty easy to mix & fill the capsules (though messy).

Feel free to PM me with any questions on this or drop a comment!
    Last edited by namelesswonder; 01-02-2014 at 08:44 PM.

And now, my usual daily post. Scroll up if you want the epic TMI post about my vaginal health .

My throat still hurts two days after drunk-puking. I actually feel a bit sick today (sinus pressure) so I am REALLY hoping that we get sent home sooner rather than later. I think the office will be closed tomorrow and I will have to work from home. Right now, it's windy, the snow is pretty light, but it is coming down. Supposedly, it'll stop by late morning and resume mid-afternoon and that will be the start of the actual blizzard.

I was too groggy for food this morning, but I did pack a lunch. I got to bed too late and woke up too early this morning. Tonight, I'm making turkey-mushroom-potato soup with the rest of the turkey leftovers & stock. I am low on goat's milk, but that will have to wait until this weekend.

So it wouldn't be winter if Hulky didn't hurt something. Two years ago was his shoulder getting torn & subsequent surgery. Last year was breaking a bone in his foot. This year was spraining his ankle on New Year's Eve. We were dancing on stage after midnight & there was a step up that we forgot about so he ran into it. He isn't taking pain killers because we've learned in the past that as soon as it doesn't hurt, he will use it! That's my sweet dumbass. I hope it gets better quickly.

Hulky is also having some bowel issues that he finally talked to me about last night. He agreed to try some magnesium citrate to see if that makes thing a little easier. Apparently it works TOO well for him and he had some tummy discomfort after as well as a couple of bathroom trips. We'll see how he feels about continuing to try it. I think a different form of magnesium or taking it with food might be better. I'm glad he told me about it and we actually had a fairly long conversation about his symptoms (I shared mine and I think that helped). He does not open up about health concerns easily.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Depending on the stomach issue, it could be the suspected sulfites. I know a deviation either way, but especially constipation, is a good indication I ate something my body is NOT happy about.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Quote Originally Posted by naiadknight View Post
    Depending on the stomach issue, it could be the suspected sulfites. I know a deviation either way, but especially constipation, is a good indication I ate something my body is NOT happy about.
    I'm thinking it's histamine intolerance and not sulfites (after reading about some people's responses to alcohol that are similar to his). Simply reducing the amount of processed foods that he eats might help loads. He did tell me he wants me to get some leafy greens so he can munch on them, plain since he doesn't like salad dressing. If he likes fresh spinach, maybe I'll get some baby spinach because I would definitely use that in dinners/omelettes anyway. I'm offering some guidance in what I would do/try and have done/tried, but definitely leaving it up to him for next steps. I don't think he'd be happy if I shared the specific details of what he's dealing with (it's not that bad and fairly common, but embarrassing to him), so that's why I'm being very vague .

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Understood. I know you mentioned suspecting it at one point, so I thought I'd throw it out there. And good call on letting him make the next steps.
    (Thank you for the TMI stuff, by the way. It may prove useful yet.)
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the great post for the ladies. It is so easy to mess up the balance of that environment. I'm glad to have more weapons in my arsenal. That part of being a girl can suck.

I'm going to do a post today or tomorrow about supplements that I need to get. I'm price-shopping for what will be cheapest/dose and trying to get more than a one month supply. The butyrate supplement is proving to be the most frustrating one to find, but both Hulky & I need Vitamin D and it would be convenient to have D & K together. If I get him his own bottle of Vit D/K, he will probably take it. That dude needs some good bone support.

Offhand, I remember that I need
    -butyrate
    -Vit D/K
    -but I'm pretty sure there was something else

Damn, I have to revise my vagina-TMI post. One night of sex and I'm irritated again! I think Hulky needs to get treated too. We're going to try a few nights of Monistat for him and a few nights of boric acid w/ coconut oil suppositories for me. Sigh.

JohnL is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    If Vulvapedia doesn't have a parallel site called Dicktionary then the Internet is pointless.