Page 536 of 677 FirstFirst ... 36436486526534535536537538546586636 ... LastLast
Results 5,351 to 5,360 of 6766

Thread: Anxiety, depression, laziness...Can the nameless wonder change? page 536

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnegans Wake View Post
    Gotcha.

I'll be the anti-Peat and say that if I were buying supermarket chicken and pork, I wouldn't go low-fat. Again, whole food PUFAs, no worries, IMHO. PUFAs removed from whole foods, worries. Give me a nice fatty pork chop and Finny's a happy lad.
    I do love fatty meat . I don't know, we'll see where this mix and match diet gets me. Improved gut function is my #1 goal, but sanity is the priority.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    How much gelatin & juice (or collagen hydrosylate) does it take to really make a "meal"? It never seems filling to me.

For all my worry, I'm about halfway through my estimated $300 budget for food for the month. I may need to overspend for the party, but I guess things are not as bad as I thought.

I am really hoping to reduce that budget though. $300 was a high-end estimate. I'm trying out Mint.com for budget tracking. You can load up all your credit sources (I was able to input most of my student loan accounts) like credit cards & any other kind of account and track your spending & set goals etc.
    It depends on the person but I think 2-3tbsp is a good deal. Add some salt to your diet too. I can never salt my oj but a lot of peat peeps do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

I can definitely get down with more salt.

My anxiety is still pretty bad.

I called Hulky to check in. His sore throat is worse. The lozenges aren't helping and he is not good at explaining how things affect him, so I don't know if they just aren't working, or he isn't letting them hit the right spot in his throat. I will get some of that numbing spray on my way home from work.

I made the following suggestions and he seemed receptive:
    -More Robitussin if he hasn't taken it already (gave him a dose this AM before I left for work)
    -Boil some water & then hold your head over the steam w/ towel over your head to trap the steam. Add a few drops of tea tree oil. Stay for 5-10 min, if possible, and breathe through nose if you can.
    -Gargle w/ warm salt water.
    -Take a hot shower.

I really hope he doesn't end up with any kind of infection, esp. strep. I may have to bike tomorrow so he can get himself to the doctor.

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    It already sounds like strep. Don't let it go too long without treatment. Strep can turn into some nasty infections. You're doing a great job of mothering him.

Have you thought about shopping weekly instead of every few days? I will usually go shopping on the weekends. I stock up for the week and stick meats in the freezer if they were sale slashes (usually means they expire today unless tossed in a freezer) and just defrost what I need when I need it. We spend $200 a week, but it helps me keep grocery costs under control. I have $200 for the week to spend on a primal/paleo week for my family. This week I didn't spend that much ($130 I think), but we get a week's worth of veggies, fruits and meats. Everything lasts the week (freshness wise) without spoiling.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    When I got together with my second husband, he was paying off three credit cards, a student loan, and a car. He couldn't figure out why he wasn't getting ahead as he had a decent job. Here's what I had him do.

List the five sources of debt, not by largest to smallest, but by highest interest to lowest.
    Calculate total minimum payment per month on all of the debt.
    Pick a realistic extra amount that you can pay each month even if it's only $20/month.
    Stop using credit cards.

Starting with the highest interest debt, pay the amount of extra you decided you can pay towards it in addition to the min pmt. Pay the minimum on all the rest.
    Once that one is paid off, use the extra + minimum + the minimum on the one you paid off to pay down the second highest interest debt, while paying the minimum on all the rest.
    Keep doing that, always adding the minimum of the paid off ones to the minimum of the one your paying down plus the extra you decided in the beginning.

This system really works well. Sometimes people think that paying off the largest debt first is what they should do, but what you really should care about is how much you're paying for every dollar owed. So, a $3,000 cc balance at 9% should definitely be gotten rid of before a $20,000 loan at 7% and so on.

Once you've paid off your ccards, resolve never to use them except for emergencies or if you absolutely know you'll pay off the entire balance that month.

Hope some of that helps.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Quote Originally Posted by jenn26point2 View Post
    It already sounds like strep. Don't let it go too long without treatment. Strep can turn into some nasty infections. You're doing a great job of mothering him.

Have you thought about shopping weekly instead of every few days?
    I try, but no matter how much I plan ahead, there are always things I need mid-week. It seems like I am figuring out what I am doing with "my diet" every goddamn week. [[whine whine whine]]

Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    This system really works well. Sometimes people think that paying off the largest debt first is what they should do, but what you really should care about is how much you're paying for every dollar owed. So, a $3,000 cc balance at 9% should definitely be gotten rid of before a $20,000 loan at 7% and so on.

Once you've paid off your ccards, resolve never to use them except for emergencies or if you absolutely know you'll pay off the entire balance that month.

Hope some of that helps.
    I really really wish this kind of thing would work for us, but it is simply a matter of high cost of living plus not high enough income to deal with it comfortably. Hulky is paying off his car. That's it. I have student loans. That's it. He has one credit card, which he has used all of twice. We are planning to pay the car off ASAP, but not possible until we get through the current mess of gov't shutdown and potentially missing his monthly stipend next month through the Yellow Ribbon program. Once we're done with that, we'll pay off the car and then he wants to start tackling my loans together. I am staying current with all my payments and have not had to adjust the schedule to pay them off in 10 yrs (7 years left).

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Dave Ramsey says to sell anything you owe money on. Buy only what you can pay cash for. Pay off the smallest revolving debt first, then take that payment and add it to the payment you currently make on the next smallest debt. Smallest debts disappear faster, freeing up money more quickly than paying off the largest debts/largest interests first. Interest rate does not matter in regard to Dave's plan b/c you're not looking to save money on your debts, you're simply trying to get rid of them as quickly as possible and with the most momentum and motivation you can - paying off debts is motivational.

I've followed Dave's plan and it works very well... Brad and I just aren't as disciplined with it as we need to be to stick with it and we're not willing to sell things we owe money on (i.e. our cars, etc). Quite honestly, the only debt I'm concerned about is our credit card debt. The rest is not bothersome to me.

Joanie, your plan sounds a lot like the plan on BankRate.com. It's a great plan, but it depends on what your goals are (pay off as inexpensively as possible vs pay off as quickly as possible). Both plans get you to the same place.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

BLARGH

I told Hulky to call the nurses station at my doctor's office. They said based on his symptoms (which apparently includes a fever and shortness of breath now, which he did NOT tell me) that he needs to get in for an appointment ASAP or to urgent care. We will go to a walk-in clinic right after work. There's going to absurd amounts of traffic barring our way wherever we go.

I am irritated that he does not care for himself when he's sick. If not for my badgering, he probably would have ended up in the hospital (though that remains to be seen).

spk
    spk is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    BLARGH
    They said based on his symptoms (which apparently includes a fever and shortness of breath now, which he did NOT tell me) that he needs to get in for an appointment ASAP or to urgent care.
    yoiks. i so hope that goes smoothly for you folks! had come by to say 'congrats' on settling on your honeymoon plans and then saw the latest... hope he stays hydrated; fever and being bed ridden can stress you enough into feeling (and experiencing) breath constriction so it may not be severe but certainly, worth getting poked by a Dr to make sure!

remember no kissing

“you aren't what you eat - you are what you don't poop.” Wavy Gravy

Today I am Fillyjonk. Tommorow I will be Snufkin.