Page 535 of 793 FirstFirst ... 35435485525533534535536537545585635 ... LastLast
Results 5,341 to 5,350 of 7927

Thread: Anxiety, depression, laziness...Can the nameless wonder change? page 535

namelesswonder is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnegans Wake View Post
    That's Chock o' full of nuttiness, NW. Keep it simple:

1. Eat omegas from whole food sources (fish, nuts, grass-fed beef, etc.).
    2. Avoid refined industrial oils that boost omega 6 levels.
    3. But don't worry about "balancing" omega 3 and omega 6, just make sure you're eating quality foods.
    4. Supplementing omega 3s should be beside the point, if you are eating well. There are also issues with oxidation and rancidity of supplements, stripped of antioxidants like vitamin E that would naturally accompany in whole foods.
    Well, I'm not eating well . I don't eat quality foods, period, aside from organic fruits & veg because they are so much cheaper per pound than mean. Right now, I'm in a mental trap of "want to eat well despite the cost just to see if it helps" and "omg I don't know if we're going to be on one income next month & I feel guilty about buying ANYTHING".

So. Not sure how to find balance.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

No fish markets where you can get wild fish cheaper than $17/lb.? Closer you are to the catch the cheaper it should be. We're considerably inland, so wild fish can be few and far between. But I just joined a buyer's club to stock up on good wild fish from Bristol Bay, Alaska (wild and sustainably caught). Yeah, it was expensive, but some of the whitefish (rockfish, et al.) was only around $12/lb. Defrosting some king salmon for tonight! Figure if I spread out the pricier fish like king salmon and don't eat it every week, we can average it out with cheaper meals...
    I am not sure... I guess I should start looking into markets etc. It's not too late for farmers markets, but I have no idea what their prices would be like. My town's market is today, I can swing by after work and scope it out (and I happen to have cash!), and there's another on Saturday nearby.

"Only" $12/lb is terrifying to me. Grass-fed meat in stores is $7-8/lb unless there's a sale. I've never really looked into local farms because we don't have the freezer space and getting a separate freezer is not an option financially right now (though I'd love it, just for the meat storage capabilities).

We buy the cheapest meat, aiming to keep it around $3/lb or less =\

canio6 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    We buy the cheapest meat, aiming to keep it around $3/lb or less =\
    What are you buying? The only thing I can get for that price here is chicken and pork (if it is on sale). Luckily I like chicken and pork.

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member

Anxiety, depression, laziness...Can the nameless wonder change?

Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    Interesting. Sounds like an "emergency" stash of some canned fish thing that is high in omega-3 might be a good idea. Blargh, but eating only pastured eggs, lean fish (what fish would be lean anyway? shellfish?), and red meats is definitely too expensive.
    Tuna/whitefish, canned seafood, tons of gelatin & fruits (and dairy if you can tolerate), and bone broth. Buy grassfed neckbones and make the broth. Even nyc prices for those are $2.99/lb and there is a ton of gelatin and meat on the bones.

Fruits & gelatin = bulk of your diet if you are doing peat on a budget.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Btw, peat diets don't include chicken and pork...

Just saying... Not sure how closely you are following it. I personally still ate a roast chicken this week despite being closer to a combo of peat& primal (no dairy, but more gelatinous meat , more fruit, more juice, and only red meat if I can afford).

------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    What are you buying? The only thing I can get for that price here is chicken and pork (if it is on sale). Luckily I like chicken and pork.
    Chicken & pork . Pork sausage tends to go on sale most frequently. I am starting to really hate the taste/texture of that extra-fatty cheap chicken. Reasonable chicken at Whole Foods is actually sometimes around $2.99/lb if I buy one whole, so I am probably going to start roasting them as well as making soups. For pork, I really want a bigger crock pot so I can experiment with ribs, as those are usually the cheapest cuts. And a good covered roasting pan for roasts! I'm tried of jury-rigging stuff w/ my pyrex dishes.

Quote Originally Posted by turquoisepassion View Post
    Tuna/whitefish, canned seafood, tons of gelatin & fruits (and dairy if you can tolerate), and bone broth. Buy grassfed neckbones and make the broth. Even nyc prices for those are $2.99/lb and there is a ton of gelatin and meat on the bones.

Fruits & gelatin = bulk of your diet if you are doing peat on a budget.
    Yes, I can get grassfed bones (frozen at Whole Foods) for a similar price. Dairy is pretty pricey for the decent stuff, plus you don't get much of it. I can tolerate goat milk & am considering that a supplement of sorts to fill up or for a quick "meal" so I don't have to worry about a whole meal all the time. Money/time/stress savers. Wow, I am stressing a lot today.

IMO, the issue may be more of absolute levels of omega-6 being bad (inflammatory). If your o-3 : o-6 is positive, it means you're displacing o-6s. Of course, eating TONS and TONS of both o-3 and o-6 would seem intuitively wrong, and it would boost your absolute levels of o-6s to the point of inflammation. So if you're worried about getting "enough" o-3s, I'd say don't worry about it so much. I think that the whole foods high in o-3s are good to eat when you can, but it's really not worth fretting over when you have money issues. And not worth supplementing.
    Since inflammation is definitely an issue for me (evident from the ease that I get joint pain & my gut issues, I suspect), more omega-3 to at least counter the omega-6 seems like a good idea. I definitely can't go out of my way to limit both or have more o-3 than o-6. But more o-3 in general is probably good, so I will browse my canned fish options.

Okay, I need to calm down now, I am near panicking. This happens when I have caffeine sometime, even the small amount in the Tazo Zen tea (which I just drank).

So derp said you can ask whole foods for overripe fruits they don't put on display and get it for a discount I think.

Lean chicken & pork if you must since fats in those have tons of PUFA...

------

Btw, peat diets don't include chicken and pork...

Just saying... Not sure how closely you are following it. I personally still ate a roast chicken this week despite being closer to a combo of peat& primal (no dairy, but more gelatinous meat , more fruit, more juice, and only red meat if I can afford).
    I am only experimenting with the concept right now. If I can, I might do a stricter week before the end of the month, but seeing as that's only about 2 weeks away, unlikely. I just don't want to drop $95 on this gut massage appointment if I don't have to, but the doc insisted I try this before seeing him again for more tests.

Also, I'd consider veering into PHD territory more with some white rice and white potatoes if on a budget (I think you may do both already anyway?), and might even consider the paleo sin of the occasional legume - on the scale of all foods evil, beans may make ya toot, but they're just not as bad as wheat or refined sugar or industrial oil, IMO.
    I wish, I wish, I wish. But I can't. Starches block me up completely.

Aww. If I were you I would:
    -bone broth (eat as a separate meal)... Make egg drop soup or carrot/veggie soup.
    -juice & hydrolyzed gelatin by itself as a "meal"
    -fruit smoothies with gelatin as a "meal"
    -fruit & juice jello (homemade) as a "meal"
    -egg scramble (or lean chicken/pork) and minimal veggies as a meal.

Mono ( and 2-ingredient) meals help a lot with my gut issues. I get stomach pains if I eat some stuff together.

------

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Aww. If I were you I would:
    -bone broth (eat as a separate meal)... Make egg drop soup or carrot/veggie soup.
    -juice & hydrolyzed gelatin by itself as a "meal"
    -fruit smoothies with gelatin as a "meal"
    -fruit & juice jello (homemade) as a "meal"
    -egg scramble (or lean chicken/pork) and minimal veggies as a meal.

Mono ( and 2-ingredient) meals help a lot with my gut issues. I get stomach pains if I eat some stuff together.
    How much gelatin & juice (or collagen hydrosylate) does it take to really make a "meal"? It never seems filling to me.

For all my worry, I'm about halfway through my estimated $300 budget for food for the month. I may need to overspend for the party, but I guess things are not as bad as I thought.

I am really hoping to reduce that budget though. $300 was a high-end estimate. I'm trying out Mint.com for budget tracking. You can load up all your credit sources (I was able to input most of my student loan accounts) like credit cards & any other kind of account and track your spending & set goals etc.