Page 528 of 807 FirstFirst ... 28428478518526527528529530538578628 ... LastLast
Results 5,271 to 5,280 of 8068

Thread: Anxiety, depression, laziness...Can the nameless wonder change? page 528

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    Thanks, Jenn. Looks like everything is closed right now. The special agent stuff says "THE FBI SPECIAL AGENT APPLICATION IS CURRENTLY CLOSED.
    THE NEXT SPECIAL AGENT POSTING DATES ARE YET TO BE DETERMINED."
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Curing IBS-C with Vitamin C and magnesium citrate.

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Probably b/c of the shutdown.

Here is what our academy site says:

How do I apply to come to the Law Enforcement Academy?

You must be hired by or sponsored by a Law Enforcement Agency before attending the Iowa Law Enforcement Academy.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

My worry is that with the training program, which looks like it's full-time for 20 months, we would have to be in a position to support ourselves on one income during that time. So either he gets hired in the local PD, or this option is off the table too. Perhaps I will encourage him to call the department and ask them about when to apply.

Ours is only 14 weeks, but it's a full time residency thing. M-F the recruit lives at the academy, going home only on weekends. Is that how MA does it too? Weird that a 20 month training program would only cost $3k.

And now, after looking over the ILEA website, I want to be a cop again... *sigh* But Brad won't let me... Says it would put too much stress on the whole family, and he'd always fear for our safety b/c bad guys like to retaliate... *eyeroll*

Haha, woops, 20 weeks, not 20 months! I mis-read. There are some facilities here that are live-in and you can go home on weekends, and I think others are "authorized" facilities, where you don't stay overnight.

hahaha easy mistake.

Gut thoughts

I got paid today so I'm thinking about supplements. I'm trying to broaden my range of research and consider as many options as possible to get my gut health back (or create it, if it's something that's always been problematic as I suspect). This means I am even researching *gasp* Ray Peat stuff. There's a lot of interesting info out there. I am trying to keep an open mind. I'm reading a lot about how the fillers in supplements are actually very important to consider, which is frustrating because I can't afford the quality supps. I'm thinking of what I can do to minimize supplementation so I can limit it to what's essential and focus on healing through food. This means that I should probably be having bone broth in addition to my SCD chicken soup. That's a lot more chicken than I think we really want to be eating every week.

I have to keep in mind that what might be most beneficial may not have immediate results. I think the slippery elm powder (and/or marshmallow root) is helping, especially when I consume it in tea or another warm beverage (which is what I've been doing lately, and a warm cup of slippery elm tea in the AM seems to result in a bowel movement a few hours later). It was very tasty in goat's milk w/ some honey. I think using high quality milk is actually a good idea for me, as it basically acts as a supplement. Plenty of good nutrients in it, plus I could use the boost in calories with my tendency to undereat. The question becomes whether I want to try and restore my lactose tolerance or not. I think I will stick with goat milk for now. I just wish it wasn't so expensive. I may check out the local grocery-farm (almost entirely local products & they do have their own fields) this weekend to see if they have more brands than Trader Joe's and Whole Foods offer. They won't have raw, but pasteurized over ultra-pasteurized would be preferable. I'm reading into aloe vera juice supplementation again. I'm wondering if it might be beneficial even if I don't notice the effects (didn't seem to alleviate constipation).

This week I have also noticed that if I have a BM in the morning (and my stool has been quite loose this week, but having been sick w/ a cold, I don't know what's a factor), I tend not to have one in the evening, and my gut may hurt later in the day. Asserting regularity, even with some discomfort, is top priority to me right now. I think that's the first step in fixing this.

Also noticed this week: I have not had as much heartburn. I ran out of Digest Gold and am not always using the Betaine HCL w/ Pepsin (I write out the whole thing rather than just call it HCL because those two qualifiers are very important).

I am not ruling out prescription drugs if I need them, just to keep things moving so I can focus on healing. for now, I'll refine my supplement use as much as possible and hope that this visceral manipulation massage appointment I have on the 30th is a step in the right direction.

[might write more on all of this later]

In other news, Hulky and I are probably hanging with his family this weekend since his sister is super pregnant & we want to get some time in before she pops. We may also go back to the local ren faire with some friends on Sunday. A bit pricey, so maybe not, but I'd like to browse the vendors as I didn't get to last time. I'll need to think about snacks to bring.

Healing the gut

The general consensus is that you must reduce inflammation in order to heal, and supplement (both through food and pills etc.) in order to seal the gut. Reducing inflammation is such a Paleo people say to take cod liver oil for the omega-3. Peat people say to avoid PUFA's all around. Obviously, reducing omega-6 is in my best interest either way. Of course, I am left wondering wtf I'm supposed to do about eating meat. Grass-fed beef is probably the best choice, but my wallet just can't allow for that. I guess Peaters would say to get my protein (which I find REALLY important for my mental health) from cheese, milk, and gelatin, but I have a hard time imagining how I would accomplish that in an everyday diet that wouldn't destroy the bank, not just break it.

Amazon.com: Designs for Health - GI Revive 450gm Powder [Health and Beauty]: Everything Else
    I've done some research on this product. I know the brand is reputable. The ingredients in this mix are things I've read about for healing the gut. Some are new to me. The reviews I've found are very positive, but of course, it's pricey. If I pieced together these ingredients on my own, it would probably cost about the same. $96 of product would probably only cover one month, assuming I take it twice a day and I don't need more. This is about on par for how much I've spent in the past per month for supplements, depending on what I'm taking in that time period. Sometimes it's less.

Patients with poor gut integrity easily develop food sensitivities and may have compromised nutrient assimilation. GI Revive is a convenient, crystalline powder that mixes easily into any beverage or other functional food powder. It provides therapeutic levels of L-glutamine, N-acetyl-glucosamine, MSM, DGL, slippery elm, marshmallow, chamomile, okra, TOA-free cat's claw, quercitin, and mucin for comprehensive support of optimal gastrointestinal health. Prunus and citrus pectin are included to aid regularity.
    My doctor has had me purchase supplements made by this brand before, for the ferritin supplement & a pre-biotic that he had me try. I think I will wait until after my gut massage appointment on the 30th. If that works out okay, I'll keep supplementing as I am now and see what happens. If things are still pretty hit or miss, I'll see the gut doc again before the end of the year and ask him about this product or his recommended protocol for leaky gut.

Wow. I feel so much more clear-headed and positive about this ordeal right now than I have... ever. Since all this started over a year ago.

Grafter is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jenn26point2 View Post
    Interesting. I'm not sure I'd want every citizen in our state with $3k eligible for police training. lol
    I hear you, especially after some of the other debacles IA has found itself in, like issuing concealed carry permits to legally blind people >_<

kalli889 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Bone broth is awesome! I highly recommend it!
    My Leptin Reset Journey

Current BF%: 35
    Goal BF%: 20-23