Page 526 of 748 FirstFirst ... 26426476516524525526527528536576626 ... LastLast
Results 5,251 to 5,260 of 7479

Thread: Anxiety, depression, laziness...Can the nameless wonder change? page 526

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by ExerciseFanatika View Post
    Dear Namelesswonder: I too struggle with severe depression. Because of arthritis in my hands, I can't re-type all this, so I'm just going to add comments culled from my Profile and elsewhere.....

Give me a healthy, abstemious lifestyle full of activity, intellectual stimulation and challenge - and ACCOMPLISHMENT - and I would feel like I could live "forever"! And enjoy every microsecond of it!

I hope things will work out for you and your situation. You're so young; I think it will.
    Hi ExerciseFanatika, thank you for sharing your story! It's clear you've been through a lot of ups and downs, mentally and physically, but you also clearly have a fighting spirit. I hope you will find the help you need here and through your own Primal path.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyGrok View Post
    I got completely over depression with: transdermal magnesium chloride; 500 mg of elemental magnesium per day, vitamin d3; 2,500 to 10,000 IU daily, and 1-3g of omega-3 daily.
    Anxiety is another matter entirely... I have tried many things over the past year, spent around 1000 and a couple thousand hours of online research only to see mild to moderate improvement.
    I'm taking magnesium citrate daily for constipation, but can't say I truly understand the differences between all of the types (elemental, glycinate etc.) and how they might be helpful. I take about 10,000 IU Vit D daily as it helps keep away the seasonal depression! I can really tell the difference when I'm not taking it and it's rainy or gray out. I get said very quickly!

Anxiety is tricky. I think sometimes it is a lot more tied to habit than depression. I hope you will not give up in finding the right treatment for you. For me, it has taken time, and amino acid supplementation. A combination of 5-HTP and L-Tyrosine helped quite a bit and nowadays I am able to use mental tricks to keep the worst of the anxiety at bay.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

AndyGrok is offline Junior Member
    I studied magnesium like a full-time job for a month or two so I can help you out with that. Magnesium chloride was the best supplement I came across whenever I went through forums and the websites of experts. By applying the magnesium chloride, or magnesium oil as it is also called, to the skin, your body will absorb more of it as it dissociates completely at skin pH. As long as you leave it on for 20 minutes you get a lot of it in.
    Elemental just refers to the magnesium itself, someone getting a form of magnesium in a 1,000 milligram tablet for example, may only be ingesting around 100 milligrams of elemental magnesium, with the molecule or compound it is chemically bonded to accounting for the other 900 milligrams.
    Chelated forms (ending in -ate) such as citrate, taurate, glycinate, threonate, the list goes on, are the best forms of oral magnesium. Citrate seems to be the one (out of the chelates) that causes the greatest increase in bowel movements, as magnesium travelling through the digestive tract causes water to be brought into the gut leading to diarrhoea. Glycine combines magnesium with the amino acid glycine and is a double whammy for anxiety as glycine is an inhibitory / calming neurotransmitter that people use as a sleep aid. Taurate is another good one but I avoid all oral forms of magnesium to prevent any bowel irregularities and get maximum absorption. Even if you have food poisoning and bowel inflammation / permeability, that will not be a problem with transdermal magnesium.
    However, even with the effect of ingested magnesium increasing water in the gut and relieving constipation that way, there are still constipation-relieving benefits from having magnesium transdermally as simply increasing the body's magnesium levels are enough to aid constipation by reducing muscular spasms of smooth muscle which typically cause constipation.

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    ExerciseFanatika First of all, Welcome fellow NYer.

I am so sorry to hear about all of your losses. I know it can be very hard.

I am very concerned for you. I think the reason you are depressed and not losing weight is starvation. Please read Primal 101 on the blog or the "Start Here" thread on the forum. I think that you will feel better once you begin to give your body the nutrition it needs.
    Paula Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Oh yeah, I meant to say a little about that. ExerciseFanatika, starvation will make your body store more fat, or so I've heard at least, another problem could be acidity. Both eating acidic foods and eating barely anything at all will both increase the acidity of your body. Some people have a natural tendency to lose weight rapidly once this occurs and others start storing fat as a buffer against the acidity. I heard Tony Robbins say that so if I'm wrong blame him.

So, vegetables and water.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Andy, thank you for the magnesium info. I'll do some reading on magnesium oil.

And I definitely agree with Pebbles67 and Andy on the thoughts on starvation. Sorry, my reading comprehension is somewhat low with this nasty headcold .
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Feel free to add me if you want a more comprehensive list of all the things I've tried and what I found helpful. At this point I've gone from full-on social anxiety to the point of where I could be considered just a shy person, and always progressing a little each week so I hope to be at a level of confidence I consider acceptable within the next month, or so I plan at least.

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Fanatic, I am so very sorry for the losses you have been dealt in recent years. You are a much stronger person than I think you are given credit for being.

Reference your weight - I'm with everyone else. You need to eat more. Have you read the Primal Blueprint? If you haven't you might consider it. Also the Primal 101 is a great starting point. We're all here to support, so if you have questions, please raise them.

Tasha, there was something I was going to talk to you about, but I lost it... hmmmm... hopefully it'll come back. I should probably go back through the last couple of pages and see if I can find it.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

OH! Have you tried Mucinex for your snot problem?? It might help relieve you of a bit of this flow. I realize it's not homeopathic, but sometimes we need a little boost.

canio6 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jenn26point2 View Post
    I realize it's not homeopathic,...
    which is why it works...
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    which is why it works...
    Hush... Some homeopathic stuff works very well.