Page 512 of 748 FirstFirst ... 12412462502510511512513514522562612 ... LastLast
Results 5,111 to 5,120 of 7474

Thread: Anxiety, depression, laziness...Can the nameless wonder change? page 512

namelesswonder is offline Moderator

I survived the IUD insertion

Shop Now
    Well, my dears, I survived.

I am thinking about writing about this in my blog. Despite being a rather personal experience, I figure if I can talk about my suicide attempt there, why not my reproductive health? haha. I'll probably post about it in one of the IUD threads here on MDA & link to it here so folks can read it or not.

In short: insertion hurt a lot. It was the worst pain I have ever felt, but I have never been seriously injured and I have never given birth (TBH, my piercings are probably the worst pain I've felt and that was so momentary). Hulky reminded me not to let anyone invalidate my pain, which I thought was very sweet. He picked me up from the train station on my way back. The clinic was an hour behind schedule so I was out until about 9:30 (hour-long train ride each way) and didn't have dinner. I was too nauseous to eat when I got back and the cramps were pretty awful. I am good at not crying from discomfort/pain though so I don't really know "how bad" it hurt on my personal pain scale. The staff at the clinic were very nice, very thorough, and I am glad I had it done, even though I was regretting it on the train ride home! No sex or any kind of insertion for 48 hrs, but I am protected immediately.

The cramps are better today, thank goodness, though still worse than any cramping I usually have, and I'll be taking Ibuprofen all day and as needed. Hulky's doctor (who I have previously seen as well; great guy) told him that Ibuprofen doesn't really do much until you get over 1600 mg, so I am taking a fairly high dose of 1200 mg. I am not taking it around mealtimes, as I don't want to cause any issues when I take the Betaine HCL to increase my stomach acid.

I cancelled my appointment for next week and will reschedule for about a month out so they can check on the IUD placement at that time. I will also ask when my last regular annual exam was because I can't remember. I want to check Vitamin D, Iodine, Iron, & Ferritin. Apparently, my hemoglobin levels are excellent (they checked last night). I want to donate blood soon but am afraid of nearly fainting again. I ate well before we went last time, but still almost passed out.

BM - This AM, type 6 on Bristol stool chart. I am going to start taking some Vitamin C every day to help with any "detox" my body is doing from the candida. This means I will probably be able to lower the mag citrate dose. We shall see! My marshmallow root extract & more slippery elm (in powder form) arrived so I'm taking the marshmallow root extract twice a day with the slippery elm now too. Interested to see how that might help. [edit] Type 3 this evening, after dinner & my pre-bedtime warm goat milk.

Body - I can tell my right leg is incredibly messed up right now. The foot placement feels even worse than usual. I should just make a chiropractic appointment.

Sleep - Took Theanine Serene last night (and gave some to Hulky too). I slept pretty well, but woke up too early. Hulky did not sleep well, again. I think I am going to resume 50 mg of 5-HTP for a few nights and see how that goes.

BTW, I promised you guys a prom photo of me. Voila, 2006. The hair dye was temporary (it applied in a mousse foam form, only lasted a week, smelled AMAZING), I don't think they make it anymore. It was by one of the big hair-dye brands.

Me on the left. Girl next to me was my date, who, funnily enough, dated Hulky for 3 years while he was in the Army. We started dating not long after they broke up and were both very afraid it was going to be a rebound thing, but I think it has worked out well . I still have my entire prom outfit except for various jewelry (bracelets made from embroidery floss, so obviously those haven't lasted the past 7 years) and the shoes.

My circus friend (he did gymnastics since age 12, then trapeze, all kinds of circus stuff, and is doing that as his job now. I think he just moved to Los Angeles to provide trapeze lessons to movie stars) has the green hair behind me, but the photo has a very cool effect of making it look like it was part of my hair.
    Last edited by namelesswonder; 09-25-2013 at 07:28 PM.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

BTW, I had fun educating Hulky on how the IUD works. I forget that high school sex ed was such a long time ago & I was a member of a sex ed group in college (all volunteers were trained on STI's and forms of birth control, and we provided condoms and lube for pocket change or free if you had nothing) so I have learned about all this much more recently. I think I'll ask him to read the little informational brochure so he is aware of what symptoms to look out for, in case I have any trouble with the IUD.

I am having trouble not being tense today, but it's getting better as the cramps reduce. I don't expect my gut to play along for the next few days, at least.

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    Mine was inserted after my son was born, so it wasn't too painful. I am not looking forward to removal and reinsertion. SIGH!

Quote Originally Posted by Pebbles67 View Post
    Mine was inserted after my son was born, so it wasn't too painful. I am not looking forward to removal and reinsertion. SIGH!
    I was just thinking about how I'll tackle this in the future... I have a few years before I need to worry about it! I figure we might think about having kids in a few years (maybe 2-3), but probably not sooner (just can't imagine being financially stable on one income to do it, or being able to afford daycare). I think removal is supposed to be less painful because you just pull it out & it folds up on itself. As long as my insurance covers it, I would definitely get it again after having a kid (ASAP) rather than use anything else, even if we have more than one kid.

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Ok, you just totally talked me out of the IUD... painful insertion? No thanks... I do not do well with pain down there. My cervix is very easily annoyed. I cramp for hours after a simple pap smear! I think Brad getting the ol' snip snip is the better idea. But... the copper IUD is reversible... but then there's the fear that if it fails and I end up pregnant, the removal of the IUD can cause miscarriage... that's why I opted to not get the IUD before, when I instead chose the shot... *sigh* So many pros and cons... I wish you luck with yours. It would be nice to not worry about pregnancy again, but at the same time, condoms do such a nice job of containing the mess that I don't want to give them up.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Quote Originally Posted by jenn26point2 View Post
    Ok, you just totally talked me out of the IUD... painful insertion? No thanks... I do not do well with pain down there. My cervix is very easily annoyed. I cramp for hours after a simple pap smear! I think Brad getting the ol' snip snip is the better idea. But... the copper IUD is reversible... but then there's the fear that if it fails and I end up pregnant, the removal of the IUD can cause miscarriage... that's why I opted to not get the IUD before, when I instead chose the shot... *sigh* So many pros and cons... I wish you luck with yours. It would be nice to not worry about pregnancy again, but at the same time, condoms do such a nice job of containing the mess that I don't want to give them up.
    I decided that it was worth the risk of miscarriage if I do get pregnant because one would likely miscarry without removing the IUD anyway. Pregnancies that do occur with the IUD tend to miscarry or are ectopic (which is obviously even more dangerous). I felt it was a minimal risk.

Yeah, from what you said, IUD insertion would be very uncomfortable for you. Since I've never given birth, I can't really compare the cramping pain to anything, but it was pretty bad. I was still able to breathe through it, but it made me reconsider any ideas of future unmedicated births O.O haha. Totally agree w/ the contained mess of condoms. (wonder if any dudes are reading this haha)

I think I would encourage Hulky to seek a vasectomy when we've decided to be done having kids, but I might just use an IUD again until menopause, assuming it works out okay now.

tomi is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebbles67 View Post
    why doesn't hubby get snipped instead? You're not planning more children are you?
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

Weight goals:
    Highest weight: 216
    Current weight: 189 (7-16-14)
    Goal weight: 140

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    He has never offered it as an option and I don't mind the IUD. I like to know that I am protected personally.

I don't even know how he would react. Maybe I'll ask just for fun...

^My concern is that something vasectomies are not completely effective! I know it's rare, but still. Plus it'd be more expensive than an IUD, since I don't think it's covered as birth control for men under most insurance.

Food - I had warm goat milk & honey for breakfast this morning, with a tablespoon of collagen hydrosylate. It was fairly filling until lunch, but I was very hungry by noon. My cramps are keeping me from getting too hungry today. Either the milk or the honey irritated my gums and they feel inflamed today. The tooth feels sensitive. I will oil pull tonight before or after sooner to soothe it and monitor whether honey in tea irritates that area, or if plain warm milk does.

Allergies - No sneezing today now that I'm back on the allegra knock-off. I will use the neti pot tonight w/ some tea tree oil, as I did not have time this morning (moved my shower to the AM since I was too uncomfortable/wiped last night). My throat is still hurting on and off.

My description of the IUD insertion:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1321544
    Last edited by namelesswonder; 09-25-2013 at 01:16 PM.

diene is offline Senior Member
    Hey, just catching up on everyone's journal. Glad you survived the IUD insertion. I got mine at Planned Parenthood too, and they stuck the sound in me three times. The sound is the thing they use to measure your uterus, and it's the thing that caused the contractions for me.

Are you still taking ibuprofen? I read above that you're not taking it around mealtimes. Eh, you really should take that stuff with food. Prolonged consumption of ibuprofen (or any NSAID) on an empty stomach will really damage your stomach lining.

I had a friend in college who had to go to the ER because he routinely took ibuprofen with nothing but coffee. It basically gave him uclers, which presented as horrible stomach pains.