Page 5 of 767 FirstFirst ... 345671555105505 ... LastLast

Thread: Anxiety, depression, laziness...Can the nameless wonder change? page 5

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Primal Fuel
    Ate better today except for the cheesecake after dinner. We went for a long walk (3.5 miles) to dinner. I got pretty tired, but it felt great. I definitely want to start walking more. I used to walk for transportation, aallll the time.

Fat (43%) Carbs (20%)
    Protein (37%) Alcohol (0%)
    (Not including the cheesecake) I have no idea if those are good ratios.
    1,982 calories including cheesecake (which was mostly carbs). And now I'm hungry again! Geeze!

girlarchitect is offline Senior Member
    I found this post from Mark Sisson that I thought was interesting in terms of what Mark is looking at hitting in terms of his own diet. He seems to recommend a ration of approximately 60% fat, 30% protein and 10% carbs. I'm not certain those ratios are hard and fast or flexible. For now, I'm going to try (and try) to achieve approximately these ratios and see what happens.
    My primal journal that I don't update enough:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33293.html

NoSaladWithoutMeat is offline Senior Member
    I think anyone who walked for 3.5miles deserves a big ass cheesecake.
    It's just that some of us are too fucking lazy.

Meat's thought process:
    Cheesecaaaaaake...
    Getting off the couch...?
    Not worth cheesecake....
    There comes a time when you become so fat and sick that you're suddenly willing to listen.

Unsolicited Advice Is Welcome Here.

Violette is offline Senior Member
    It was cheesecake that did me in. I started off with one and soon it was one every day... This is great that you all reminded me. I'm up 10 lbs and having trouble getting off sweets again. The cheesecake was in Paris last September. If I had left it at that all would be ok but you know how that goes if ur a CO like me. But maybe you aren't and it's not going to throw you off.

I'd been off sweets for a couple of years and for me, it's serious, altho I never think so at the time. I'm one of those who's blood glucose reacts to sweets with a huge burst of energy and well being. But, soon, the glucose goes down, leaving me depressed and craving.... (It doesn't always happen the first time, but by #3 for sure.)

Anyway, conventional wisdom says we deserve a treat if we do our exercise, or because it's a party, or because it's a funeral, or because we're on holiday, or or or. For some of us it isn't really a treat.
    Last edited by Violette; 07-20-2011 at 07:38 PM.

True Violette. I managed to avoid sweets today! Well, I had a beer.

Fat (41%) Carbs (33%)
    Protein (20%) Alcohol (6%)

I am still SO hungry all the time. I only got about 1500 calories today. Again, still just can't figure out what to eat to fill up. My 3 egg omelette with garlic and cheese this morning was delicious, but not filling. I bought some small steaks today and tons of other stuff... $95 grocery bill! Yeesh. Usually, it's less than half that for most of the week. Steak tomorrow, mmmm!

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    Welcome! You should checkout Dr. Emily Dean's blog Evolutionary Psychiatry http://evolutionarypsychiatry.blogspot.com/

Oooo thank you^ That should be interesting.

3 slices of bacon & 2 eggs this morning (in the bacon juice). So good. Left me ALMOST full, but not interested in eating more of either. Oh, body, what will it take to satisfy you?

Meal plan for the day
    B: 3 slices of bacon & 2 egg omlette
    S: 1 square 72% Ghiradelli dark chocolate (really hit the spot, wonder why)
    L: Cherries, baby carrots, cucumber slices, sliced turkey meat from the deli counter @ Shaw's
    S: Almond milk
    D: Spaghetti Squash with meaty marina sauce , very nervous about this, I hope it's delicious and my boyfriend likes it.

Tonight, I'm going to try to broil up some of the mini steaks I got to prepare for tomorrow and the weekend (to avoid eating out, because we often do). I could definitely have a steak salad, but I'm not keen on spending more $ on groceries right now. At least tomorrow is pay day!

In an effort to improve my whiny ways, I am going to keep this journal as positive and body-positive a possible!

Goals for the rest of the week: Keep hunting for those missing calories that are leaving me constantly hungry. Get some exercise/movement in (need to get some cash, maybe I'll get up early and walk to the ATM tmrw morning), maybe swim tonight and definitely on the weekend.

I feel a lot better today than I have in a while. I'm still easily fatigued, but as soon as I figure out how to eat enough, I believe that will change. for now, I'm just trying to monitor myself and see how I change. I feel like I've lost some more fat, my pants are fitting differently and my stomach looks smaller. Now to get some muscle definition!

Hi, namelesswonder. I'm sort of new to the forums, but have been reading MDA for a while and find some common ground between PB and my own direction in diet and exercise. Started reading a few journals, and I hope you don't mind if I make a few comments on yours. You really put yourself out there, and it's difficult to read this journal and not feel moved by what you've said.

I can't presume the causes of nor pretend to know the severity of the issues that you're in therapy for and being medicated for, but the first thing that jumps out at me is the negativism towards yourself. The first three words of your journal are anxiety, depression, and laziness. Your posting name is namelesswonder. You ask whether you can change (body and attitude) almost with resignation. I don't mean to be glib here, but you need to stop beating yourself up.

Anxiety and depression in one's teens and 20s is fairly common, and you most certainly can conquer it. It's possible you may not need to take medication ad infinitum -- and consider how that medication may affect some of the physical things you've noted (i.e., sex drive). It's not easy to make those first steps towards positive lifestyle changes, but you're doing just that by diet, fitness, and journaling. And what I have found is that physical and mental well-being can work synchronistically: you start feeling better in one area of your life, and it spills over to other area.

I see girlarchitect has already given you a lot of great advice on cooking, and as a guy who's gone from no cooking skills (typical 20-something bachelor) to being a pretty competent cook (I've been working at it for at least 15 years!), it is one of the best life skills you can develop. Especially since there are so many food and nutritional pitfalls out there, and I really believe that learning about your food, where it comes from and how it affects every part of your life, is central to becoming a complete person.

Wow, does that sound new-agey enough? My wife always says that she's glad I read up on nutrition and cooking, because she really feels that it's been a huge positive in our lives. We're 46 and 47 years old, but people are usually shocked to hear that. And we're not fitness nuts, although recently we've started jogging and fine-tuning the nutrition to lose some weight that's crept up over the years. We've also been blessed with excellent health, the odd cold or flu excepted.

I would suggest that you find a local farmers market and familiarize yourself with local organic growers, or even join a CSA. The seasonal veggies that are starting to come in can make some shockingly delicious dishes with very little effort, summer abundance on the fork. You can also find farmers selling grass-fed and pastured meats, dairy, and eggs, and I firmly believe these are worth finding. (Try Eat Wild and Local Harvest / Farmers Markets / Family Farms / CSA / Organic Food for direct to farm info.) I'd be happy to offer recipes for any vegetables -- I can't think of a single vegetable I don't love.

IIRC, you mentioned not being familiar with fish beyond canned tuna, and I have to say that if you find a place that sells good, reasonably fresh fish, the world is your oyster, so to speak. It's great food, and I think it does wonders for body and mind. There are so many delicious varieties, and people tend to be afraid of preparing or eating them out of unfamiliarity. But they are sooooo simple to prepare, and so delicious! The two obvious errors people make are over-cooking their fish, and over-preparing them. Most fish will shine with a simple prep of extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper, and a quick dance under the broiler or nice little sauna in a parchment tent. I just roasted the veggies you'd find in ratatouille (quicker way to make it) and then broiled some swordfish, and eating them together was insanely good.

So again, if you want any recipes or tips, give a yell.

The last thing I'd like to say goes back to the first thing, which is not to be so hard on yourself. Celebrate your successes, and just keep pushing out the cycle of self-recrimination and rationalizations that go with it. Sometimes it may seem like you're forcing things a bit, trying to put a happy face on a bad situation, but you can make big changes through small steps. Eventually that all comes to a critical mass where things become, well, happy. Not stupidly happy, either. You're way too hard on yourself about body image (as I realize many women are).

Try to remove as much negativity from your life as you can. Embrace good food and knowing that you are crafting a better you with it. Enjoy the simple pleasures of every day!

Page 5 of 767 FirstFirst ... 345671555105505 ... LastLast