Page 499 of 740 FirstFirst ... 399449489497498499500501509549599 ... LastLast
Results 4,981 to 4,990 of 7394

Thread: Anxiety, depression, laziness...Can the nameless wonder change? page 499

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Primal Fuel
    Just dropping this thought here for tonight: Today at the faire, someone overheard me talking about supplementing magnesium (discussing muscle cramps) and said I should make sure to supplement copper & zinc too. I guess it's good to take those too to keep everything in balance when it comes to electrolytes? She worked at a vitamin shop or something. Maybe I will hunt down a blend and add it to my regimen for a bit. I may ask the Peatites what they think about copper, as they are the only people around here I can remember discussing copper. I know eating organ meats would be wise, but F that (for now).

I haven't watched the video yet, but I like this song. The album is okay, only had one listen so far.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    You called?

"Copper is the crucial element for producing the color in hair and skin, for maintaining the elasticity of skin and blood vessels, for protecting against certain types of free radical, and especially for allowing us to use oxygen properly for the production of biological energy. It is also necessary for the normal functioning of certain nerve cells (substantia nigra) whose degeneration is involved in Parkinson's disease. The shape and texture of hair, as well as its color, can change in a copper deficiency. Too much iron can block our absorption of copper, and too little copper makes us store too much iron. With aging, our tissues lose copper as they store excess iron. Because of those changes, we need more vitamin E as we age.

Use shrimp and oysters, etc., to prevent the copper deficiency"

- Ray Peat
    the chronic loss of copper accounts for the obvious features of aging, such as the loss of elasticity of the skin, hair, and (in Parkinson's disease) substantia nigra, and for the decrease in respiratory capacity."

- Ray Peat
    "Copper, which is the co-factor for the cytochrome C oxidase enzyme, activated by thyroid, is essential for bone formation and maintenance, and is consistently deficient in osteoporosis. Thyroid hormone increases the body's ability to assimilate copper." - Ray Peat

"Zinc deficiency is thought to interfere with vitamin A metabolism in several ways: (1) zinc deficiency results in decreased synthesis of retinol binding protein (RBP), which transports retinol through the circulation to tissues (e.g., the retina) and also protects the organism against potential toxicity of retinol; (2) zinc deficiency results in decreased activity of the enzyme that releases retinol from its storage form, retinyl palmitate, in the liver; and (3) zinc is required for the enzyme that converts retinol into retinal."
    Here is another study suggesting that vitamin A, vitamin D, and zinc have complimentary effects:

Seven groups of 10 healthy subjects received various combinations of zinc and the two vitamins A and D, namely: zinc, vitamin A, vitamin D, zinc plus vitamin A, zinc plus vitamin D, vitamins A and D, and zinc plus vitamins A and D. Plasma zinc levels were determined at baseline, 3 weeks and 6 weeks. Plasma zinc levels increased significantly (p < 0.02) from 11.82 (+/-2.60) to 13.32 (+/-3.04) mum/L only in the group receiving the combination of zinc and vitamins A and D.

The Optimal Zinc/Copper Ratio according to Chris Kresser is 0.7 - 1 (RHR: Could Zinc-Copper Imbalance Be Making You Sick?)

Cocoa per 86gm serving

Minerals
    Amounts Per Selected Serving%DV
    Calcium 110mg
    Iron 11.9mg
    Magnesium 429mg
    Phosphorus 631mg
    Potassium 1311mg
    Sodium 18.1mg
    Zinc 5.9mg
    Copper 3.3mg
    Manganese 3.3mg
    Selenium 12.3mcg

Oysters per 86gm serving

Minerals
    Amounts Per Selected Serving
    Calcium 39mg
    Iron 16.5mg
    Magnesium 40.5mg
    Phosphorus 116mg
    Potassium 134mg
    Sodium 181mg
    Zinc 78mg
    Copper 3.8mg
    Manganese 0.3mg
    Selenium 54.8mcg

Hope this helps!

Really liked that song btw!
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Whew, thanks YB! I'll be by a Vitamin Shoppe today and will poke around.

Causes and Cures for Constipation - Perfect Health Diet | Perfect Health Diet
    Supplement Recs - Perfect Health Diet | Perfect Health Diet

I don't now if I need copper, but Zinc & copper are something I've never tried. Might as well try a bottle & see how I feel.

Primal check-in time!

First, let me do a check-in on my primal stuff. Then I'll do a recap of my weekend in the next post.

Current supplements:
    -Allegra (not sure if it does anything anymore, but I'm not willing to take the chance! need to buy more today)
    -Copper/Zinc (2 mg/15 mg), just started yesterday. One per day unless I see adverse affects. If I finish the bottle (100 capsules) and don't notice anything, I'll probably stop taking it.
    -1/2 teaspoon daily of L-Glutamine (will move on to heaping 1/2 teaspoon by the weekend, then full teaspoon)
    -Magnesium citrate (currently 400 mg at night
    -Tablespoon of Hydrolyzed Collagen in tea every day. My nails are strong and grow pretty quickly. Hulky has very soft nails and I suggested he try this, but he's not interested. Not sure, but my hair may be growing faster too. I'm going to buzz it again this week so I'll have a good starting point to "measure" from. I may grow it out after that, with no dyeing. Sad, I know.
    -I would say the neti pot acts as a kind of supplement. I use it most mornings, but not consistently.
    -At meals: Digest Gold (1 capsule). Sometimes I take a peppermint oil capsule, but it seems like it gives me pepperminty heartburn more often than not. I may try Betaine HCL again, but it gave me severe heartburn in the past, so I don't think I need it.

Allergies:
    My allergies peak in the morning & evening. I think pine trees bloom at those times? The neti pot definitely helps and my allergies are generally reduced at this point. I do not know if that is due to my diet changes (mostly cutting out starches, dairy, & being nearly 98% strictly gluten-free for over a month) or just the season. I have a lot of pollen allergies. If I get my mornings in order, I'll use the neti pot consistently and see if there is continued improvement.

Sleep:
    I need to revamp my mornings. Since Hulky got back and since we moved, things have been crazy. I alternate between optimal sleep (then I don't want to get out of bed because Hulky <3) and not enough because I ate something I should not have. Last night, I slept poorly probably due to the pumpkin ale I drank. I need to get out of bed at 6:30 again consistently, get out of the house at 7:20 consistently (has been 7:30, but I need the extra time to change once I get to work), and then hopefully move the wake-up back to 6:15 so I might be able to run some mornings. One thing I don't like about running is that I like slow mornings & that makes me rush with only 30 minutes to get myself together. Something always gets in the way.

Exercise:
    I'm sporadically doing wall crawls at home & practicing planks. I need to come up with some goals to reach and a schedule so it's less sporadic & I can make actual improvements. Right now, I'm just trying to be upside down for more than 10 seconds without feeling like I'm going to pass out. Perhaps when I can get to 20 seconds, I'll work on moving my feet higher & my arms closer to the wall. As of this morning, I've decided to stop running for the time being. It was a good 2 weeks, and I'm glad I know I can do it now, but I feel like I stress myself out too much trying to get myself to do it. Once my mornings are in better order, maybe I'll start up again.

Diet:
    Things have been reasonably good digestively, but I'm letting too much slide. I still get a mix of diarrhea and constipation all too regularly. I drank quite a bit over the weekend and it's definitely slowing things up. I'm going to need to set myself some allowances for the weekends in order to make this work because I frankly do not want to be 100% compliant. Staying gluten & dairy-free is fine, but starches need to stay OUT and alcohol needs to be limited. BTW, vanilla vodka in blueberry lemonade is EXCELLENT . I am really enjoying eating squash lately, as it's fairly filling & keeps my carb count up where I need it. Bananas seem to be a safe food, for which I am grateful.

TMI:
    I've been a bit itchy lately, like the very beginnings of or a very light yeast infection. I've been letting it slide because it fluctuates. If I keep eating junk on the weekends, especially drinking alcohol, this is going to get worse. If I crack down on my diet, it'll be fine, so I'm just going to do that and also pick up some Pau D'Arco tea to get rid of the current symptoms.

Weekend recap!

Friday night, we went to see the new Riddick movie. We were disappointed! We both love Pitch Black & The Chronicles of Riddick, and of course Vin Diesel himself, but this was just lackluster. It kept setting up great plot points and then resolving them very quickly. The end was very anti-climactic and you could tell how it was going to end from the beginning (after they stopped leading you on with a few other possible ways the movie could have gone). I would have been interested to learn more about the necromongers and Riddick's time as their ruler.

Saturday, we met up with the other Hulkys and headed to King Richard's Faire. It was a fun time! I ended up having 40 oz of beer without realizing it (two 20 oz cups). Killian's Red sure is tasty. Obviously, I got pretty drunk, which always makes the faire more fun . I also got to eat another giant turkey leg, which is always worth the mess. We watched Jack The Whipper's show. It's been fun to see how the show has evolved over the past 3 years that we've gone. The niece and nephews (funny to think that I'm their auntie now!) were adorable and everybody got a new toy. I find it much easier to chat & play with them now that they're a little older, but that might just be me changing/growing. Mini (youngest boy right now, who looks a lot like his mom, which means he looks a lot like my husband, his uncle) turned two years old this summer and is starting to chat a bit more. He is almost always grumpy and tired when I see him, but is starting to warm up to me again. Those kids always love me when they’re really young for some reason. He was in a pretty good mood when I saw him throughout the day, though I'm sure he wasn't great ALL day . After the faire, we had dinner at a local Brazillian BBQ joint, which was delicious. I don’t remember what we did the rest of the evening.

Sunday, we almost got to relax, but then we headed over to Coach's house (the new landlord) to grab lawn maintenance stuff. We of course ended up sitting and talking for a bit. And getting fed. I got the go ahead to install a shelving system in the hall closet at the new place, which will be great as it's very deep and has no shelves currently. I'm thinking I'll go with this kind of system, we just have to make sure there are studs to anchor it to (fingers crossed). Hulky mowed the lawn, I helped rake a bit & clean up trimmings. I tired pretty quickly and went back to making some chicken soup for lunch. It didn't come out as well this time. The liquid did not gel after chilling in the fridge, which it has done consistently every time I've made soup for the past month. Maybe I didn't cook it for long enough. I'm still getting used to the new stove, which has a glass top with those flat electric burners. We watched some Star Trek: The Next Generation and ordered dinner in with a visiting friend.

Killian&#39;s Red By: Nada Surf - YouTube

I thought about putting this on the blog, but it seems too personal in a way.

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    OMG I hate my smooth-top/glass-top stove. My next stove WILL be gas. I hate this one! I hate electric cooking! I don't like that I can turn the burner down and it stays freaking hot forever! I boil over ALL the time when cooking on this stove! And clean-up is a giant PITA when you boil over - it dries and crusts on the surface, requiring a razor blade and mild grit cleaner to get it off. I much prefer the gas stove with the wells for catching boil overs.

Like I said, next stove WILL be gas. I was seduced by the sleekness of the glass-top and sorely disappointed. :/

I have heard chicken broth won't gel every time and it depends on the bones, not the cooktime. *shrug* I've only gotten gelatinous broth once.

Sounds like you had a great weekend.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

The stove top isn't smooth glass... it's kind of pitted? I don't know how to describe it. Some stuff got burnt on by previous tenants and I don't think I can take a razor to it without messing up the stove top. I'll do some Googling though. Basically I think it's a really shitty design. I'm going to make it a habit to clean the stove top every day, as soon as we're done cooking & it has cooled sufficiently.

My chicken soup has gelled every time with the SCD method until now. I put a whole chicken (kinda small) in the pot with my veggies & water (and salt & pepper) and let it simmer for 4 hrs. Then I pick off the skin & take out the bones. The gelling comes from the collagen in the skin in this case. This time, I didn't take out any veggies so it's onions, carrots, and celery. The broth looked a bit lighter than usual. I think I might've missed an hour of simmering by accident because of taking care of the yard & turning off the stove at some point. I keep turning on the wrong burners for some reason.

Ah well, hopefully it's good enough.

honeybuns is offline Senior Member
    My Mom has that glass cooktop and it has pitted and needed cleaning badly. When I was there I made a paste of baking soda, loet it sit for a bit and then scoured the cooktop with it. You wouldn't believe the grime I got up!
    Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

Ooo I will give that a shot! Baking soda should be gentle enough not to ruin the top. Maybe I can get those burnt rings off

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    I use baking soda too... giant mess - fare warning. I tried that thing on Pinterest where you sprinkle with soda, wet two towels with hot soapy water and lay them flat over the baking soda to work, then scrub in small circles, and it works beautifully, but I'm not sure it's worth the huge mess that's created.

I've also sprinkled baking soda and 'wet' it with a spray bottle filled with 1/2 vinegar/1/2 water. It fizzes a little bit. Let it sit and use a wet cloth to scrub in circles. Still a messy clean up.

Mine's not pitted - it's a glass top. Maybe yours is actually ceramic?
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)