Page 483 of 794 FirstFirst ... 383433473481482483484485493533583 ... LastLast
Results 4,821 to 4,830 of 7934

Thread: Anxiety, depression, laziness...Can the nameless wonder change? page 483

namelesswonder is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Re: yogurt - In the book that really frames the diet, Breaking the Vicious Cycle, it's like the core food. Not that you eat a lot of it, but it's involved in a lot of recipes. Fermentation for 24 hrs as opposed to 8-12 (depending on taste preference for tartness) gets you a lot more beneficial bacteria. The intro diet according to BtVC is here. The intro diet according to the SCD Lifestyle site is mostly just the chicken soup w/ all veggies removed after cooking except carrots, which are supposed to be pureed before being added back in. I tried blending them, but that didn't work well, so I'm just mashing them now. From the base of this soup, you start adding in cooked fruits (apple or pear sauce), then you can start adding in pureed squash, then you go as you need to to test foods and see what sits okay with your digestion.

I'm not sure how the bacteria content in fermented veggies, kombucha, or water kefir compares to this yogurt, in terms of composition and quantity. I'll have to do some poking around for dairy-free SCD recommendations.

Re: C25k - Do you think it'd be better to run in the morning, when I wake up, or the evening, before or after dinner? I'm usually really hungry after work.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Fermented foods on SCD

Okay, at a glance, here's what I'm finding:

-Goat milk may work better. SCD Protocol This indicates that I might want to be dairy-free for a month before incorporating yogurt at all. Well, damn, I just made all this yogurt . It may be too tart to share, but I'll be sure to taste it before I ditch it. I can't help it, I love yogurt! I could without all other forms of dairy, but I don't want to lose yogurt if I don't have to.
    -The juice from making saurkraut is apparently a good starting point. I don't know that saurkraut sits well with me. Anything that causes gas seems like something I should be avoiding. Maybe the juice will be okay. All I need is distilled water, cabbage, jars, tea towels, and a yogurt starter.
    -Making fermented nut milk seems like a huge pain.
    -This says how to get fermented stuff (or probiotics) for the first 30 days without doing anything. I am lazy, I like this idea. This is a little pricey though.

Dammit, I wish I'd found all this before I made yogurt! Ah well, this is going to be a long term project anyway. I'm bound to mess up a bit. It's possible, if this is a casein sensitivity, that this will go away as I heal.

diene is offline Senior Member
    I think when you're just starting out with a workout program, the timing doesn't really matter that much. You should do it at a time that's convenient for you and when it will be least unpleasant to work out. So, for me, I'm not a morning person at all so when I first started working out, I always did it in the evening or even late at night because that's when I felt most energetic and most likely to want to work out. If I had forced myself to do it in the morning, I never would have stuck to it because it would have been torture.

So when you run really depends on when you're most likely to want to do it. You could also switch it up. If you want to do stuff after work one day, run in the morning. If you want to sleep in on another day, then run in the evening.

If you're hungry after work, then you should either run after dinner or have a snack before your run. Working out hungry when you're just starting out is also not a good idea because it will make it more unpleasant. I think, at this point, the most important thing is to do whatever it takes to make the experience pleasant so that you'll stick to it. Tweaks to optimize performance, fat burning, or whatever can be added later if you want.

Not sure if you like audiobooks, but the thing that really got me into working out is listening to audiobooks. I listened to music at first, just like everyone else in the world, but it just didn't do it for me. It didn't distract me enough. Once I started listening to audiobooks (fiction, mostly), I looked forward to my workouts cuz I get to find out what happens next in the book.

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Could you freeze your yogurt and eat it later?

It won't matter when you run. Whatever your preference is. I prefer to run in the morning b/c it fuels my day, but I can't do that on days I work, so I do it over lunch. I don't tend to get out and run in the evenings b/c I'm too tired/lazy in the evenings. I'm always more apt to blow it off if I wait til the end of the day. I suspect you'll be the same way judging off of previous posts about being too tired for grocery shopping and whatnot.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Quote Originally Posted by diene View Post

Not sure if you like audiobooks, but the thing that really got me into working out is listening to audiobooks. I listened to music at first, just like everyone else in the world, but it just didn't do it for me. It didn't distract me enough. Once I started listening to audiobooks (fiction, mostly), I looked forward to my workouts cuz I get to find out what happens next in the book.
    That's a good idea! I run without any music or books or anything - no distractions for me. Partly b/c where I run we're not allowed to use headphones (military post) for safety reasons and it just kind of stuck for running all the time. Hearing a book read would be awesome. Do they read to you like they would a little kid? With inflection and all that in their voices? Or do they simply read without emotion? Or does each character have their own voice? I think I'd find it hard to keep up with an audiobook... I should try it sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    -Making fermented nut milk seems like a huge pain.
    You can also make coconut milk kefir. Doesn't look too painful. How to Make Coconut Milk Kefir | Coconut Milk Kefir Recipe

Quote Originally Posted by jenn26point2 View Post
    Do they read to you like they would a little kid? With inflection and all that in their voices? Or do they simply read without emotion? Or does each character have their own voice? I think I'd find it hard to keep up with an audiobook... I should try it sometime.
    The inflection is not as exaggerated as with children's books, but, yeah, they use inflection and different tones. Some narrators are better than others, of course. But they do try to change their pitch or accent a little for different characters so that you can distinguish between them.

You should definitely try it! I think popular novels are fine in audio format. You wouldn't want to listen to anything super complicated, like America's Great Depression. I actually have that one in audio format--got it on sale from Audible.com, and, yeah, impossible to keep up.

I was thinking Under the Dome by Stephen King. I'm reading it for a second time since the show is on (I like the show, but it does NOT follow the book very closely and that has caused some confusion for me, so I'm re-reading the book). I thought maybe this book would be too difficult to listen to since so many people complain about the complexity of the character list. I will take your advice and not listen to this book.

Oh wow, I didn't know that Under the Dome has been made into a show! I guess I've already missed a bunch of episodes? I wonder if I can watch it online.

I love Stephen King, and I actually listened to Under the Dome in audiobook format. It's fine. You should try it. People always complain about the character's list when there are more than five characters.

You can watch past episodes on Amazon!!!

Monday's episode was number 8. I think there are 13 in this season's line up. They (whoever is writing the show) has signed for 13 more episodes next year. Having read the book and knowing it has a finite end, I'm curious to see where they take the show and how they plan to drag it out for two seasons. But, a friend of mine watched The Dead Zone and said they did a really good job of dragging that book out over a series of seasons, so I'm sure they'll find a way to do it with UtD.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Okay
    -looking into audiobooks (gotta keep it free or cheap) - would be awkward to run with my Kindle =P so I'll have to see what I can put on my iPod or Android phone (downloading Audible app now). I hate carrying things while running, but I may have an armband somewhere...
    -going to run around the field near my apartment, as long as there aren't too many people there, which might get boring but should be less stressful on my body (as opposed to paved trail)
    -Historically, I hate the morning, but as long as I sleep well (i.e. get to bed on time), I think I can manage morning runs. It's only 20-30 minutes anyway.

Also, kefir is advised against on SCD until you've been tolerating some other kind of yogurt for a while. It's much stronger and has different bacterial content.
    Last edited by namelesswonder; 08-15-2013 at 10:39 AM.