Page 482 of 794 FirstFirst ... 382432472480481482483484492532582 ... LastLast
Results 4,811 to 4,820 of 7934

Thread: Anxiety, depression, laziness...Can the nameless wonder change? page 482

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Just ask her how she's doing with it. Something like "how are you doing with the smoking cessation?" or something similar. If she's doing well, she'll want to gush about how well she's doing and then you can just say "That's great! I'm sure it's hard but you're doing a great job! Keep it up!"

I quit smoking numerous times too but in December 2008 it finally stuck. Once I finally reached that point where nothing was going to stand in my way, it was easy to quit. If she's 12 days without a cigarette, she's over the hump and it should be pretty easy sailing from here on out. The hardest part is quitting the habit of physically smoking, not so much the nicotine addiction.

12 days is amazing. Maybe google one of the quitting smoking ticker websites and send her the link. It'll tell her how long she's gone without a cigarette (down to the second if she knows when her last one was) which can be so motivating! Just say "I heard a friend talking about this site and thought I'd share it with you. It's pretty neat. I hope you like it" or something similar.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

namelesswonder is offline Senior Member
    She is trying to lose some weight too (dabbles with low-carb stuff). She said that after meals is tough because she usually smoked after eating, so she makes an effort to stop eating a bit earlier now. That should help mitigate any weight-gain as a result of quitting. I think she will be more inclined to be active as her breathing gets easier. I still need to help her pick out the right tubes for her bike tires, but I will be in the basement soon to move things around anyway so I'll write that down for her.

Does my sister-in-law's husband = my brother-in-law? Anyway, I'll be over later this week to get MIL's help with talking to him so I can move furniture the weekend of the 24th. I'll be sure to check in with her progress and do my best to be encouraging. I'd send her stuff on primal/paleo diets, but I don't think I could manage it without being pushy. She's been losing slowly, but there's no real harm in that.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

tomi is offline Senior Member
    Maybe try sending her recipes that paleo/primal instead of diet tips or info. If she is talking about it openly then I would think she would be open to you starting a conversation about it. "I think its awesome that you're kicking the smoking thing - I've heard so many people say how much better they feel once that stuff is out of their system!"

Good luck with the move - I'm sure it will all go smoothly. I'm always amazed at how quickly things get moved and put into the their new place --- and I've moved 10 times!! Every single time I packed up the entire house all by myself, and then had some male muscle to move the big stuff.

I wish I had the problem of not eating enough Can you eat fats on the SCD? Add some butter to the carrots and make a spicy buttery dip for the chicken. When you make the squash add a couple TB of butter when you mash it up.
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

Things I choose to let go:

All grains - including rice
    Refined sugars
    Legumes - including peanut butter
    Nuts and nut butters
    Alcohol and soda
    Chocolate
    Acidic foods, such as pineapple and tomato
    Coffee and tea
    Eggs
    Curry
    White potato
    Dairy - including butter

I'm choosing to do this......... I don't HAVE to.

I'm doing this because I'm worth it - because I'm worthy - because I love myself.

Yes, I can definitely add fats! I've just been careful with it because I don't want to upset anything. I'll be adding butter to whatever I have tonight (carrots or squash) with my chicken soup. I bought some cultured butter last night. Not sure if I want to make ghee too (with the regular butter we have from Hulky's baking).

BTW, I heard back from our land lady. She'll try to get the last month's rent check to me ASAP before they go on a trip for 10 days. She'll inspect the apartment after we're moved out and our security deposit is not forfeit so we should get it all back. I just need to Spackle a hole in the living room that got attached by a recliner and clean the kitchen and bathroom. The oil tank gets dipped tomorrow so I should find out soon how much money we get for its value! If I'm lucky, we'll get a bit more than half month's rent, which will help make the difference between current rent and next apartment's rent ($100 more per month, which this place was increasing to anyway).

drssgchic is offline Senior Member
    I'm slow catching up but- Yay for the wedding! Try peaches from further South- we always brought them with us from PA when we went to Maine if they were in season. Yay for Renys! They've got fun stuff I think the Mood Cure said that when you're topped off on your amino- taking it gives you the same feeling as when you were low, so stopping was probably a good idea
    http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

Re: topping off aminos, yeah, I just haven't ever done it before! It's exciting.

In other news, I just remembered that Whole Fuds has kefir grains and yogurt starter. I like using real yogurt, shouldn't really matter if I use the power or not, but I can't wait to try kefir! According to my quick, search, I should make sure I tolerate yogurt for a few months on the SCD before trying kefir.

SCD progress?

Last night, I realized my allergies didn't seem as bad. I hadn't sneezed at work at all yesterday! It rained on Tuesday so that's definitely unusual. This morning, things felt clearer, but I still used the neti pot. It drained very easily. Then I had yogurt and my post nasal drip got worse. Huh! So dairy definitely has a congestive effect on me. I think I'll save it for the evenings for now.

Another effect of the intro SCD (the way I'm doing it, anyway) seems to be some weight loss. Things are fitting differently. My abs are returning. I'm not sure how I feel about this. I've been hungry so I know I'm still under eating. I'm having dinner with the in-laws tonight. I told MIL that I need to stay gluten-free because I get joint pain, but I know just gluten-free is not enough. Dinner is probably not going to be SCD compliant, but even my half-assed efforts seem to be making a difference. Next week, I'll probably continue with the soup for one meal during the day, but start incorporating more veggies in other meals. I think I'll make applesauce soon.

I DEFINITELY need to figure out a portable breakfast. Bringing yogurt to work was an awesome treat, but I'd rather sleep with congestion than start my day with it.

My 24-hr yogurt should be ready around 7PM tonight. I'm incubating the yogurt in some glass jars in a small cooler filled with hot water. The water was at last 120F when I put the jars in it last night. I then left it in the oven, with the light on. This morning, the water was 110F, which is what it's supposed to be. I added a little more water, around 150F. I think it'll be warm enough for the rest of the day.

I cut open the milk carton when I was making yogurt last night. It had a beautifully thick plug of cream at the top. It was unhomogenized grass-fed whole milk. I mixed in the cream, because it's a tasty treat on the top of the yogurt, but there was some stuck in the carton and I cleaned it out with my fingers

I'm thinking of starting the Couch to 5k program. I hate running, but I want to be able to do it. It seems simple enough, to start off with. I could do it in the mornings, if I keep getting up at 6:30 (I really only need 1/2 an hr to get ready). I don't know if this would be a bad idea on top of cycling. I should worry more about strength training, but this seems easier.

Gut: My BMs have been a bit difficult lately, but they are happening. I took 400 mg of mag citrate last night. I think I take it after meals again and find a dose to keep things moving easier. I am worried about hemorrhoids.

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    I'm glad you're already noticing differences on SCD. I hope you continue to benefit.

C25k - I think you'll be ok with the running and biking. The C25k program builds you up gradually - initially you'll only actually run a little over 1/2 mile depending on which of the c25k programs you follow (there are many). I think you'll be ok. Initially you'll notice some quad soreness b/c you'll be using the muscles in a new way, but if you can work through the DOMS you'll be just fine. You'll get used to it.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

diene is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    God, I wish I could under-eat from time to time! Is yogurt mandatory on SCD? If dairy causes congestion for you, then you probably have a casein allergy, in which case, it's probably not a good idea to eat it. If you want/need to eat fermented food, you can try fermented veggies, kombucha, or water kefir.

The Couch to 5K sounds like a good idea! But I love to run so...I'm biased.