Page 480 of 934 FirstFirst ... 380430470478479480481482490530580 ... LastLast
Results 4,791 to 4,800 of 9339

Thread: Anxiety, depression, laziness...Can the nameless wonder change?

SCD day 2

Shop Now
    I don't know why I'm counting (I guess I just want a title for the entry). Even if I'm not strict about the intro, I plan on being strict about sticking to the SCD for the rest of the month. Probably beyond that, too. I'm hoping once I start making some real dinners that I can get into the groove of rotating recipes every week and it'll be easy to add stuff in for Hulky once he's back.

I have an app called SCD Buddy on my phone. I can enter foods and it'll tell me if they're SCD "legal". This will be helpful when Venus visits this weekend so I can find something friendly to eat. The oils will not be friendly and I am frankly unwilling to ask them to cook my food in olive oil or butter. I never did it for the Whole30 either. I know it's unwise and I'll feel the effects, but it's more hassle than I'm willing to deal with. For shame!

I'm sleeping enough, but waking up tired. I am just trying to tough it out for now because I don't think taking anything will help. Being tired this consistently for the past week+ leaves me feeling weak. It's hard not to let my mood spiral too.

Tonight: pick up starter yogurt (Lactobacillus bulgaricus, Streptococcus thermophilus, Lactobacillus acidophilus (optional)) & grass-fed whole milk. Make sure chicken soup. Maybe make some applesauce, though that's supposed to wait a little longer. I guess I'll get some squash to puree.

Packing: I'm starting with Hulky's stuff, since he won't be here. Clothes can go in bags, but I'm also wading through some paperwork. Not sure what to keep, but he has internet access so I can just ask. He said the connection was really bogged down during the day so he won't be able to email often, if other students are hogging the wifi. He suggested I ask his mom to ask his brother-in-law to lend a hand with some moving, since he has a truck. Maybe I'll see if he and Chip can help move most of the larger items on the weekend of the 24th.

I'm going to do some polyurethane on the kitchen cabinets over there this week, as long as the humidity is low. I don't mind being put to work for this place. Can't wait to share some pictures of it, it's really nice. And I could use help figuring out how to arrange the living room =P
    Journal
    Current interests - Starting Strength (reading it very slowly)

Depression Lies

Moving, while a giant pain in the rump, has always been refreshing for me. It's always cool to move into a new home.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    Tomi, get your hormones tested!
    I had them tested a year ago -- pretty much "flat line" as is expected for being post-menopausal. I have not had a period in 3 years. I'm doing some reading on vitex, but I'm not finding a lot of info in favor of using it to help libido in p-meno women.

I think dong quai is more frequently recommended for post menopausal women.

I don't think "flatline" is necessarily healthy for post menopausal women, but I'm not an expert.
    Journal

Depression Lies

How exciting that you're moving! A fresh new start is always fun and exciting!

I think you will pleasantly surprised at how well you do during the 3 weeks Hulky is away - and you will find a new strength that you didn't even know was hiding inside.

I'm definitely excited about working with a fresh space. I think this will make it easier for both of us for a little while, since he likes to move often and we are both ready to live somewhere new (not in MA). The short term goal is to only be here for a year until we can move out of state, but that depends on jobs & financial status. If we had to stay another year, I'd be okay with that, but am considering looking for a new job after my A+ certification (goal of getting that before May, but depends on if I can afford the tests). We'll see.

I find myself wishing I could stay at home and just pack all day . It's harder for me to set aside small amounts of times to big tasks like this. I need to make some lists of things to remember to do, for both my name & address change. I'll have to take care of moving all the utilities to the new place, which I believe I can schedule in advance. Internet will be the only hassle, as I have to decide where the TV and computers are going so they can get wired up by the technician. I could do it myself, but it's freeeeeeeeeeee and they do a nice job.

I think I'll look in the basement tonight for anything that I can discard. I can also pack up some things, like my cauldron mugs, which I still have the box for. I think we have a large traffic cone that ended up down there somehow that I now have to figure out how to dispose of. Maybe I can leave it on a street corner in the middle of the night O.O.

----

I have some light heartburn after my lunch of soup & a few gelatin squares (making more tonight, only a few squares left, think I'll try a different juice though I did enjoy the grape). I haven't been taking the peppermint oil capsules or digestive enzymes lately. I think I'll resume taking the enzymes, but should probably buy a different brand (Digest Gold is recommended). I need to check the book for recommendations on what should be in a good B-complex.
    Journal

Depression Lies

Day 18938497398.3: still not eating enough

What Kind of Hungry Are You?
    We all know it's not as simple as "Well, better stop doing that" for a lot of people, but I liked the break down. I think seeing the categories like that is helpful, same way that The Mood Cure breaks down different kinds of depression & "false moods."

As this entry title states, I'm still not eating enough. What else isn't new? I made more chicken soup last night (did not pour out half the broth this time, thank goodness) and I ate plenty of it, as well as some steamed carrots. Carrots seem to sit really well with me. They are magical, I am convinced. I cooked up some chicken breast too.

Of course, I was still ravenous after grocery shopping, so I ate half the container of yogurt that I bought (local brand with the right healthy bugs in it). My gut was a little gurgly after, but no ill effects so far. I should make sure to eat enough before I have any yogurt so I don't try to fill up on it. I need to start small! I am making yogurt tonight

My next food test is going to be squash. I think it will sit fine with my gut. I picked up acorn and butternut squash at the grocery store last night.

I slept really well last night and my bike ride felt good this morning. I took 400 mg of magnesium citrate before bed last night, no idea if that was a factor. I just took it to insure that my motility is okay today, since it's been sluggish lately (but at least working on its own).
    Journal

Depression Lies

I meant to share this with you guys: Hulky's mom is quitting smoking! I don't know when she started, but it's definitely "most of her life" at this point. I feel very awkward about being supportive of this. Obviously, I'm very happy about it! Hulky is ecstatic (but skeptical, she's tried to quit before, she's using patches and cutting the dose now). I just don't know how to talk about it with her without being rude =P as she can be pretty sensitive about criticism. I don't want her to feel bad about her smoking...which seems very weird. I'm sure she knows how awful it is/was. If we have kids someday, I'm glad that there's a very real chance that they won't have to be engulfed in smoky residue while in her presence. Her bedroom smells awful.

On Saturday, she was 12 days without a cigarette. Her oldest daughter (Hulky's oldest whole-sister) quit about 5 months ago. I never thought either of them would quit
    Journal

Depression Lies

Just ask her how she's doing with it. Something like "how are you doing with the smoking cessation?" or something similar. If she's doing well, she'll want to gush about how well she's doing and then you can just say "That's great! I'm sure it's hard but you're doing a great job! Keep it up!"

I quit smoking numerous times too but in December 2008 it finally stuck. Once I finally reached that point where nothing was going to stand in my way, it was easy to quit. If she's 12 days without a cigarette, she's over the hump and it should be pretty easy sailing from here on out. The hardest part is quitting the habit of physically smoking, not so much the nicotine addiction.

12 days is amazing. Maybe google one of the quitting smoking ticker websites and send her the link. It'll tell her how long she's gone without a cigarette (down to the second if she knows when her last one was) which can be so motivating! Just say "I heard a friend talking about this site and thought I'd share it with you. It's pretty neat. I hope you like it" or something similar.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Shop Now
    She is trying to lose some weight too (dabbles with low-carb stuff). She said that after meals is tough because she usually smoked after eating, so she makes an effort to stop eating a bit earlier now. That should help mitigate any weight-gain as a result of quitting. I think she will be more inclined to be active as her breathing gets easier. I still need to help her pick out the right tubes for her bike tires, but I will be in the basement soon to move things around anyway so I'll write that down for her.

Does my sister-in-law's husband = my brother-in-law? Anyway, I'll be over later this week to get MIL's help with talking to him so I can move furniture the weekend of the 24th. I'll be sure to check in with her progress and do my best to be encouraging. I'd send her stuff on primal/paleo diets, but I don't think I could manage it without being pushy. She's been losing slowly, but there's no real harm in that.
    Journal

Depression Lies