Page 478 of 767 FirstFirst ... 378428468476477478479480488528578 ... LastLast
Results 4,771 to 4,780 of 7668

Thread: Anxiety, depression, laziness...Can the nameless wonder change? page 478

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Shop Now
    Yay, got tomorrow off
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

diene is offline Senior Member
    Yay! What does Hulky do, and where is he going? Sorry if this is general knowledge, but I'm pretty new to your blog so... :/

No worries, I don't think I've mentioned it much. Hulky is a bio major and this will be his last year in school (was in the Army before starting college & took the last year off). This was the only course to fulfill one of his last requirements that would fit in his schedule. He's doing 3 weeks up in Maine (7.5 hr drive from Boston!) at a research station with his professors and the rest of his marine biology class to study things, sit in some lectures, and begin putting together a research paper. He has to give an oral presentation while he's up there and the paper itself is due sometime in September. It's very convenient because his schedule for the rest of the semester (which doesn't actually start until after Labor Day) will only be 3 classes. Lots of free time to study and get his GPA up!

diene is offline Senior Member
    Awesome! That actually sounds like a lot of fun!

jenn26point2 is online now Senior Member
    That sounds like an awesome class! I'm envious. The sciences have always been a favorite of mine. I did a stint in college as a bio major (biotechnology actually - wanted to be a forensic scientist and that was the closest thing my college offered), and later switched gears to seek my RN. Didn't finish that one b/c life wouldn't allow me to quit my job and go to school full time. Glad Hulky's seeing it through. Someday I will go back to school (AGAIN) and earn that bio or nursing degree.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

It makes me miss school a little I never did sciencey stuff, but if I could have gone to a remote site for something like this, I would've been all for it! It makes me think of a science camp that's graded =P.

Here's a fun question for you guys: Did you ever go to sleep-away camps when you were growing up (or day camps) during the summer? The only time I did some kind of summer camp was ages 12-15, a CHURCH camp. Yes, indeed, I thought I was such a good little Orthodox Christian, in the middle of Pennsylvania. It was actually a lot of fun, though my last year, my faith wasn't into it so that was a bit awkward. I was supposed to go the summer of my 16th birthday, but I begged out of it due to my overdose. My parents were fine with that.

From what I remember, the schedule was like this:
    -Wake-up 6AM-6:30AM, clean cabin, get dressed/shower
    -Orthros (morning service)
    -Breakfast, where we'd get to view the day's activities and then our counselors would sign us up. I think they had to race to get up there so we didn't always get what we wanted.
    -Morning activity, with our cabin & brother cabin (7-10 kids in each cabin, I think, all the same age)
    -Maybe another morning activity? Or was this one of the ones we got to pick?
    -Lunch
    -2 Afternoon activities, whatever you got signed up for (swimming, arts & crafts, archery, track, soccer, probably lots of things I didn't do) There were also some sedentary stuff, like painting, but I can't remember those now either. I think I have journals from some of these time periods.
    -Maybe another activity w/ our cabin/brother cabin? Trust exercises were a big one, of course. There were also lecture-style meetings. Not all of it was faith-based, but plenty was.
    -At some point, we had a little free time to wander & buy stuff from the snack hut or little shop. There were icons in the shop, mostly, and some camp t-shirts. We were limited to a # of purchases per day from the snack hut & our parents sent ahead the money for us to spend. I started to enjoy cherry Coke & Twizzlers at that time.
    -Some down time in the cabin before dinner.
    -Dinner.
    -Evening event w/ the whole camp, though sometimes it was just with our cabin or brother cabin. There was a talent show every session (I went mid-July, I think, for 2 weeks) and they'd debut the video for the session on the last night. Everybody would cry. I got interviewed my last year, no idea what I said, but I think we still have the tape.

There was one day that used to be called the Color Wars, but was at some point renamed. The camp gets split up into 4 different color groups and you have to wear your color & compete in different events.

My sister had her first boyfriend at this camp. They were together for over a year, until she went to college. I had a crush on a kid my last year there and found him on Facebook a couple of years ago. We'd been pretty close, talking online, until my overdose, but then he moved and I couldn't remember his last name to find him. I found him and he didn't remember me =P It was nice to have closure anyway. I'm "friends" with a few other former cabinmates on FB, but we never interact or talk and none of them live close. Meh.

My brother goes to a similar camp now in NH, I think. He's there this week. I know he's having fun and I love that it's such a normal activity for him to be a part of. Everyone is really welcoming at the camp.

canio6 is online now Senior Member
    It sounds like camp was a lot of fun. Color Wars...tell me there were paintballs involved... As for me, I went to Boy Scout camp a few times but nothing too exciting.
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

Nah, the colors were just about identifying each other by t-shirt colors, but you can imagine why they had to change the name (think 1960's...). I haven't thought this much about camp in ages. I have pictures from my last year that I should scan sometime. It was a good time.

My dad got all the way to Eagle scout, I think. He split his shin open with a machete one time out on a trip and tied it closed with his neckerchief to hobble back to camp. I missed out on all the exciting childhood injuries.

Maybe this grape juice gelatin is not sitting well with me? Could be the sulphites from the grape juice? I've been to the bathroom 3 times today for total gut evacuation and now feel light-headed.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Depends on the grape juice. Any other symptoms? Asthma like symptoms? Headache? Increase in anxiety or feeling of doom and gloom?
    I never did a sleep away camp. We didn't have the money for us kids to go anywhere that wasn't free. We did VBS a lot as a kid, and I went on a couple of youth group over nighters, but I missed out on the non free aspects of sumner. As I got older, we found the money to occasionally join a rec soccer league, but that was it.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome